I think the only problem you are going to have with HDMI cables is when you need long ones- greater than 10 feet or so. Then it is best to spend the money because you are on the edge of what will work and cheaper cables won't deliver. HDMI can often have problems anyway depending on what it's connected to. That's not to say that you should spend hundreds, just stick with quality name brand stuff for a few dollars more.

Is Blu Ray worth the extra? It is if you want to watch HD DVDs which is what Blu Ray is all about as well as your HD TV. Standard DVDs are standard definition and can be played on Blu Ray players also. I expect that regular DVD players will be going the way of VCRs within the next year. Expect the prices of Blu Ray players to drop to what standard DVD players are now. I have actually seen some advertised that already are.

The problem with recording Blu Ray or other HD content is that THEY won't let you. So don't expect anything to record in anything but standard definition. I'll take your word for it that there isn't a Blu Ray player out there that will record but I'm sure that will change.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.