Greetings to everyone on this board.

I'm an IT guy and am not really familiar with PBX and telecom equipment.

I have "inherited" a NEC Electra Elite 192 system (no manuals -- sigh), and would like to ask for some help. I have been reading NEC posts on this forum for about a week now, but could find only portions of what I think I need.

Our problem is, somebody apparently dialed 911. When the police came, we couldn't tell from what extension it was dialed from. And nobody confessed to it.

I'm thinking if I can see the SMDR, then I could tell from what extension 911 was dialed.

Our system has an MIFM card (which I think is needed for SMDR). I have connected a serial cable to COM2 of the box the MIFM card is in, and connected the other end to a PC's COM1 port and running procomm+ (38400 baud, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit).

Procomm+ says "Procomm Plus ready!", and indicates I am on-line. I was expecting a stream of data to show up on my PC's screen, but nothing is happening. I've hit Enter and the "\" keys a couple of times, but nothing happens.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I should do next, to obtain the SMDR output.