That's just it: These people aren't in the United States at all. They are using VOIP and spoofing fake numbers with US area codes to make the calls look legitimate. I would imagine that suing a company in India would be nearly impossible.

I'm still amazed that my credit card company sold my information over a payment that was two weeks late. What appears to have happened is that being one of the banks in peril (no name necessary), they just hire these people to make their collection calls for a bounty. It used to be that if your payment was late, you just paid a late fee on the next bill. Not any more. They are hiring these Baghdad Bounty Hunters on day one.

Oh and Hal, I have a very good number (actually both of them are, -4848 and -0707) and I'd hate to give them up due to my having landed on a junk salesman's list. There must be a way for the general public to be protected from having to take such drastic measures.

I think it sucks that we are even having this discussion at all. It disgusts me the way companies abuse the relationships with their customers or the amazing technology of telecommunications to sell people crap that they do not want to buy.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX