New here and thanks, in advance, for being patient with someone who knows absolutely nothing about telephone systems. Please, if you can, keep the answer simple as I don't, for example, know what stuff like DTMF, Cat5, KSU, POTS, etc. are. (If you have to use some technical terms, I'll try to run it by my brother-in-law, who works for Verizon.)

The problem: I had two telephone lines (plain old copper) coming into the house; one for voice calls, and the other for a dial up computer connection. I had a fax program (WinFax, from Symantec) on the computer, so the phone number for the computer was, also, the fax number. Everything worked fine. I, recently, switched to a fiber optic (FiOS) phone line / computer connection. With this, I can work on the computer, and talk on the phone, at the same time, so I eliminated one line. The voice number and the fax number are now the same. I was told that the fax would work, provided the computer was still plugged into a phone jack. I can send faxes, with no problem, but I can't receive. When a fax call comes in, it sees it as a voice call and if I don't pick up (and hear the fax squeal), the answering machine gets it. Any ideas on how I can get this thing to differentiate between fax and voice calls?

Thanks again.