web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
We have recently moved from DSL to a T1 service. Since then we have had our phone lines abruptly dropped several times. Resetting the T1 hardware does not always solve the problem. We have unplugged telephone phone lines at the phone, power supplies (all of them), and unplugged disconnected the power to the T1 hardware, and still the system doesn't reset. Sometimes we lose both data and voice. Right now, we have only lost voice. We have three roll-over lines, but I have never changed the line status feature on the phones (I am about to try that).

I am wondering if our 10 phone setup is somehow incompatible with the T1 service. Our phone service provider is sending a tech person, but has cautioned us that it may be our phones. Do we need to upgrade to a different system? Our T1 hardware is an Adtran 608.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
I seriously doubt it could be your phones, but probably more than likely it's what is busting out your dial tone off of the T-1 or the T-1 it's self.

A 854 phone is just a 3 or 4 line SLT.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Without a doubt it's the T or the Adtran if you are losing data too. Your phones are nothing special, just 4 line with intercom. Not really what I would call a system and not a real good choice with that many extensions in a business setting but whatever works for you.

One would wonder why you have a T1 for only three basic phone lines and internet access. Even basic broadband from the cable company is much faster at a much lower cost.

If it were me I would tell these guys to take their T and hit the road.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
The REN off that Adtran 608 is very low, not really designed for multiple SLT set use.
Certainly not 10 sets.
Most of the problems would be with ringing.
This shouldn't pull the data down though.
More then likely the cable infrastructure owned by the LEC that your CLEC is leasing is causing the problem. It could also be in the smart-jack.
Either way, you have to deal with your provider.
---------------------
MrG

OP Offline
Thanks for the input. I was able to get two of the three lines to reset after re-unplugging everything. I'm still uncertain why the second line is dead. We keep the ringer off of line three on most phones since we use it mostly for our fax machine.

As for our phone/data needs, we only have a full-time staff of three, but transfer 10-100MB files as a regular function of being a large-format graphics provider. AT&T (SBC) had us on a DSL that never got above 384kb/s and either refused or, when they finally said they could upgrade us, decided that they couldn't. They had to try three other lines even to get a signal at all when we were first connected 5 years ago. We are at the furthest point from their CO as possible and the DSL line kept dropping almost every week. And the fiber optic hub for most of the eastern part of our city is sitting 25 feet from my front door!

Cable offered to hook us up for $10,000 since they would have to buy easement rights from the railroad to get to our land-locked street that is bordered by a freeway and the tracks.

I am wondering if our 10 phone setup is somehow incompatible with the T1 service.

If the phones were incompatible they never would have worked at all.

10 phones working as SLT's is a bit unorthodox in the business setting. You might consider a real phone system instead of just 10 phones connected. You would be surprised to find out what you could buy and own with a system instead of renting features monthly from the service provider.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Have you checked for dial tone at the Adtran sign guy?

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
If my memory is correct, the REN for AT&T branded NoKSUs is 0.1. If that is true, 10 sets would have a total REN of 1.0. I believe that the 854 was produced before VTech took over production of AT&T branded consumer telephone products (and that happened in 2000).

Like grider said With 10 telephone sets in the office, upgrading to a true business telephone system might well be worth it.

I would offer the Avaya Partner ACS as a candidate.

I Love FEATURE 00
I agree completely but that isn't going to help his immediate problem, unless we can determine that the lack of dial tone is due to wiring or phones. Listen to what Mike said and disconnect your lines from the Adtran and check for dial tone. I don't think that is something you will be capable of doing though.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
When the provider tech gets there, have a plain old single line phone handy. Have him show you how to individually check each line next to, or in, the Adtran. THEN, you'll be able to confirm that it's NOT your phone 'system'. Got to agree with others though, you need to be looking at a REAL system. John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,576 Shoretel
189,449 CTX100 install
187,612 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Yoda, justbill), 145 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024