Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#86606 10/04/07 01:58 PM
OP Offline
Hi all-

I have a seriously aging System 25 that I use in my office. Currently it is handling 6 loop start trunks , Audix, and a 14 BIS sets.

We all know this system is long dead, but we love the features. I have mountains of backup CP's, 3 spare Audix machines, and about 30 extra sets. Needless to say my paranoia level is high to keep it up and running.

What do you suggest this system be replaced with? Ideally I'd like to keep the sets as they are classics and work well. My first thought was to move to a Definity but do not want to put a bandaid on a gaping wound.

We've looked at IP Office and it's nice, but the phones just aren't up to the old AT&T standards in my opinion.

Features wishlist:
- VM, obviously
- Auto Attendant
- ICLID
- Appearance buttons similar to the BIS series
- Quality sets
- POTS capability for fax, etc

Basically something to replace my "Bessie" and "Ethel" with a system that is solid and will stay working like the 25 has.

Thanks very much-
Jake

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

#86607 10/04/07 02:06 PM
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
With 6 lines and 14 extensions I would recommend the Partner ACS.
It has all the features you are looking but it will be a forklift upgrade. You will not be able to reuse any of you old phones.
Contact your local Avaya Business Partner and they can come out and give you a customized quote.

And welcome to the board!

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
#86608 10/04/07 02:30 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Michael, I hadn't thought about the Partner.

Forklift upgrade for sure. Will save on the electric bill too. I hate to see her go, but am afraid she's about to flatline...

#86609 10/04/07 03:31 PM
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
The Partner ACS is a feature rich system with CID,VM and many feature you probably haven't even thought of.
Just contact your local Avaya Business Partner and they can come out to you and give you a customized quote.

Here is a link to find the nearest one in you area.
https://mywebtools.avaya.com/bplocator/start.swe?SWECmd=Start

Thanks and welcome to the board.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
#86610 10/04/07 03:38 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Mike's suggestion is the best for your requirements.

If you were 100% set on keeping the old Merlin Classic telephones (but could forgo the Caller ID), you would be looking at a Merlin Legend.

I Love FEATURE 00
#86611 10/04/07 04:15 PM
Unfortunately the Legend has long been discontinued also.

My first thought was to move to a Definity...

Wow, talk about overkill. We have done residances with 6 lines and more than 14 extensions. Your requirements are not great, I don't know how you wound up with a System 25 even. A Partner would be a perfect fit.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#86612 10/04/07 04:27 PM
OP Offline
"My first thought was to move to a Definity...

Wow, talk about overkill."

Yup, overkill is good. I know and like the features of the 25/75/85 and Definity lines. Trouble is we don't want to be in the same position in a few years.

Merlin Classic is where it all started. I was the phone system admin (among 100 other things) at a previous company and we had the 25. Found one cheap on eBay and used that as an excuse for a trip to New Orleans.

Am not dead set on keeping the telephones, it just seems that there is nothing of that quality and functionality these days.

As for the CID, I used a WhozzCalling box and tied it to a PC with a USB LCD display. Works great but full integration would be nicer.

Thanks guys. -Jake

#86613 10/04/07 04:53 PM
Am not dead set on keeping the telephones, it just seems that there is nothing of that quality and functionality these days.

The Partner, being an upgrade path from the Merlin and from the same manufacturer, builds on the Merlin features. They have been refined and made more functional. If you are using BIS sets you will know what to do with the Partner sets.

I think what you are really saying is that you are used to those old BIS sets. Get over it, those things are a dime a dozen and the quality really isn't any better than the current Avaya offerings. The Partner sets just don't have a weight inside the bottom to make you think you have something good.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#86614 10/04/07 05:02 PM
OP Offline
Very true. I've used the Partner system and phones at yet another job and they are nice. Used to the BIS, yes, and they look great and very professional. Plus managing AAS and the carrier is something that can be done in my sleep still.

I know that sounds silly but then the $200 extra was worth it to me to get the black MacBook. So naturally the black Partner phones would be my choice.

What is the long term outlook on the Partner? Not so worried about support, but how close they are to end of life. No one has commented on IP Office, which may also be overkill but price is not my concern, just do not know much about it.

-Jake

#86615 10/04/07 05:23 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
You certainly can't use your existing Merlin sets on the IP office, so that's really not an option.

I agree with you about the professional styling of the original Merlin sets. I also like the style of the Partner MLS series of phones. If today's sets get any more rounded in shape, they will start to look like footballs.

Hal and Mike may need to correct me here, but aren't the classic Merlin phones supported by the Magix? Discontinued or not, I'd spend my money on a used or refurbished Magix. Why it's discontinued is still a mystery to most of us.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,611 Shoretel
189,499 CTX100 install
187,739 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024