web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I took a hard look at the wiring closet at the office this afternoon. Seems that the wiring from the sets punches down into 2 66 blocks, one for the first 8 extensions and another for the last 8. There are bridging clips on the center two connectors on each block, and the 2 blocks terminate to male amphenol connectors which connect directly to the two female amphenols on the vodavi. I could either buy an octopus to connect each exisitng amphenol to terminate to 8 2-pair rj-11 modular plugs, or just cut the amphenol connector and crimp on the modular plugs. However, the amphenol cable from the blocks is pretty short, so I'm thinking about the octopus. Any additonal advice is appreciated, but I think i've got this one figured out. Thanks a bunch to those who posted.

- Matthew

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Your second method would be your cheapest. Better yet, as others have suggested,just remove the cable with the amp and make some connectors to go to the Partner, just use IW or cat 5 or 3 4pair and do two at a time. Octopus cables will work, but why go to the added expense? Looks like you have it figured out, how you do it is up to you. You can buy IW with a 4pin mod on one end if you make them cheaper yet and just punch down the other, in place of the 25pr.
Bill

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Would the Hydra/Octopus need to be a straight through cable? I believe that standard telephone wire is crossover, and 2 crossovers (one from the station to amphenol, and another from amphenol connector to modulars) make a straight through connection. I understand that all telephone connections must be crossover. Therefore, are the Hydra/Octopus assemblies straight through to maintain the crossover connection? Thanks again

Matthew

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Won't matter for a Partner. You can reverse the polarity of the individual pairs and stil operate.

OP Offline
Hate to keep asking questions, but I noticed today when looking at the 66-cross connect, that all of the exisitng wiring from the extentions to the patch block is the old 4-pair "quad" (4 solid colors),(NOT cat-3 UTP). Is this going to work with the Partner? I've heard that the UTP stuff is preferred for new installations. Thanks again!

Matthew

Will work fine unless you have an extremely long run. Only difference is quad isn't twisted, which cuts down on x-talk. That's why all the new network stuff is going CAT 6 more twist, less interference. Nothing wrong with questions.
Bill

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Thanks for the info, Bill. Yeah, all of our voice runs are less than 100 ft, so that should be fine. I'm really looking forward to the new Partner system. As mentioned in another post, its replacing a 1982 Vodavi Starplus 616 Flex. I'm sure we'll notice only a "slight improvement" adding VM and AA, (lol). Thanks again for everyone's help!

- Matthew

Nick: all of us at one time or another in our lives have asked questions similar to yours....this is how we learned our trade....ask away....its our pleasure to help.

Mitch Taylor
www.GetwiredByMitch.com

OP Offline
Thanks again for the responses so far. For cost savings, i'm thinking of buying some 4-pair cable (eg. https://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=707&sku=02969 ) cutting it in half, and punching down the end without the connector (obviously) to the 66 x-connect. Of course, I'll take out the cabling from the amp first. However, being in IT, without much cabling experience, I've never used a punch down tool before. Is it as simple as stripping the covering, and putting each wire in the teeth in the x-connect and pressing down? I've been looking on the net for a short tutorial on punching down, but haven't found one. Secondly, are the pairs colored within the wire so I can identify them? Is this the striped coloring scheme (white/blue, etc)? Any other advice would be appreciated.

- Matthew

[This message has been edited by nickamat (edited February 19, 2004).]

Well depends on what your supplier is using, if quad pair one green tip red ring, pair 2 black tip yellow ring. If cat3 w/b tip b ring, w/o tip o ring, pair one and two respectively. As far as punching down with the tool yes just strip off the jacket and put the pairs in the connector on the block and punch down. Make sure the cable you remove leaves the block clean, check for any insulation that may not let the blocks
"teeth" close. Just in case tip 1 ring 2.
Bill

Retired phone dude
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,613 Shoretel
189,501 CTX100 install
187,758 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gary S.), 169 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024