Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Siege Offline OP
OP Offline
I know just enough with our Nortel equipment to be dangerous, so bare with me. We have a couple of locations that are experiencing an issue with their Nortel phone when they go to use their intercom lines. Whenever they initally press this button, the phone displays LINE IN USE. We are in the process of migrating to a VoIP solution when this problem started to happen. We essentially have 3 different systems: Avaya Definity (Main office) Shoretel switch (main office) and Nortel MICS at remote locations. Currently, a call from our main office routes from the Avaya to the Shoretel and out to the Nortel. It seems as though the problem lies only at the remote location because I can call from our main office to the remote location with no problem. If you need more detail on the problem please let me know and I will do my best to explain it further. Thanks for the help.

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Sounds like you need to add more "Intercom" buttons on their phones.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Siege Offline OP
OP Offline
Dave --

That is a good point. However, I do not believe that the existing buttons are able to be used at all. Can you think of any reason why these existing intercom buttons would not work? Thanks for the response.

• when you say "intercom", do you mean tie line?

• verified the MICS telephone button programming is what you think it is by using "Button Inquiry"?

• could it be the tie lines are all in use? (what does ShoreWare Director indicate at that time?)

• if you're using T1 between the MICS and the ShoreTel -- is the T1 happy?

• when your user/s cannot dial out on the MICS...can you dial in via the ShoreTel system?

Definitely. Even though the buttons are physically on the phone, depends on how the phone was programmed. Get a qualified Nortel tech in there to set it up the way you want. Not a huge job or expense for that.

You'd be surprised at how many times we walk into a new client's office & find that kind of thing. Either lazy on the original installer's part or someone mucking around in the programming , not knowing what they're doing.

Might want to start thinking of other duties to get him/her to do for you while he/she is there.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Siege Offline OP
OP Offline
royb --

They are the TIE lines. We did the button inquiry and the setup looks correct. It looks as though there are 4 TIE lines setup and it only grabs TIE4 when you try to dial out. The line pool is set for Pool B for all TIE lines, yet it only grabs TIE4. I am not sure about the T1 if it is happy or not. Unfortunately, we do not have a Shoretel system setup at our remote locations as of yet. We are just trying to integrate the 3 systems until we completely cut over.

MooreTel -- It might not be a bad idea to think about that, especially since I might be the one mucking up the system.

Line pools are for out bound calls. If there are 4 lines set in in Pool B, then, yes, it will start with the 4th line within Pool B, unless others are using the pool at the same time.

Pick up pool B from one phone it'll go to the 4th line. Place on hold and access Pool B again. It'll go to the 3rd line within Pool B.

Siege Offline OP
OP Offline
update --

I was able to make it to our remote location today and as soon as I dial the access code for the TIE line, it tells me Line In Use and cancels the call. Any ideas anyone?

If the TIE lines are on a T1 what is the status of T1? Lights on the DTI card?

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
Siege Offline OP
OP Offline
Telemarv --
We checked the CSU/DSU history and it had some frame slip errors. I just checked what I believe to be the DTI card and it has a green light indicating connectivity?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,435 Shoretel
189,206 CTX100 install
187,449 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024