Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Good call BCM

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

feh Offline OP
OP Offline
My bad - it may not be a problem with the ATA after all; I just verified that DTMF is not passed from one phone to another when both ends are Meridian phones.

So, is it possible to configure the KSU to pass DTMF tones during a call?

Thanks everyone.

That's what BCM was referring to while your on the call use Feature 808 (long tones)

feh, I see in your profile that you are a software engineer. If you are trying to develop a whiz-bang application for the Norstar, I understand if you are reluctant to share what you are trying to do. But, there is a lot of expertise here. And, the more information we have, the better we may be able to help you.

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
Originally posted by JimmyT:
Long Tones is only a call by call basics. I'm sorry I thought he was looking for somthing that allowed the tones all the time.
Don't sweat it Jimmy! I don't think we know what 'exactly' he wants just yet.

Marty Beutler
feh Offline OP
OP Offline
I found what I needed in the KSU guide; I had to configure the station to "receive tones". Once I did that, all was good.

Thanks everybody.

:thumb:

Marty Beutler
Sorry to drag out an old thread, but this is exactly the problem I am having and I would like to know what feh had to do to solve it.
In depth, I am attempting to interface a VOIP gateway/server to my Nortel Norstar PBX to enable me to add WIFI SIP phones to our site. I have a few ATA2's to provide analog lines, and I am having two problems with them.
1) As with feh, the DTMF signal is NOT getting through. When I attach an old school analog phone to the ouput on the ATA2 and call it from a nortel phone, there is not audible DTMF. I have heard about feature 808 and "long tones" but I am confused. Do I have to dial "feature 808" before EVERY call that I want dtmf to get through? Is there no better way?
2)The ATA2 doesn't appear to provide any call disconnect supervision. Therefore, if a nortel phone user calls a SIP phone as below
[nortel ph.]->[Norstar]->[ATA2]->[VOIP]->[sip ph.]
and gets forwarded to voicemail (the VOIP has an integrated voicemail box), there is no indication to the VOIP server that the caller has hung up. You end up with a message that is about 10 minutes long - 15 seconds of voice follwed by a click and a dialtone.

Feh seemed to have found a solution - anybody care to explain what he did?

[Linked Image from img125.echo.cx]
Welcome to the board JordanP!

As feh mentioned in his last post, he configured the station to "receive tones". That is a parameter that is configured on a set-by-set basis in programming. It allows the default short tones to be sent through an ATA.

On a call-by-call basis, the long tones feature can be used on internal calls. External calls to the ATA will pass tones by default.

Your biggest problem will be the disconnect supervision. The ATAs were purpose built to be station level devices. You need an interface that can behave like the network. Try a T-1 or PRI.

Good Luck!

Marty Beutler
Welcome JordonP welcome

I have successfully married VoIP to a Norstar using a 3rd party VMI box (trying remember the brand). The reason I didn't use Nortel VMI was because although it does provide a disconnnect signal, it does not use looop drop for disconnect, but you must tell the VMI which DTMF tone to send upon disconnect. The VoIP server I use could not use a DTMF disconnect signal.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,418 Shoretel
189,179 CTX100 install
187,429 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 138 guests, and 439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024