If the two companies you are planning are autonomous- no common extensions and no common receptionist then it's going to be less expensive to install two smaller systems. I often recommend exactly that. I have even recommended that small companies with one or two lines could even do away with the VM and instead use what's available from the telco since they usually roll it into a package.

As for the R7, I think if you do a search of this forum on the Partner ACS R7 it will answer your questions. The R7 is an R6 that was just redesigned to add another two lines and one extension so that the one module was competive with other manufacturers one module systems. Unfortunately they made some other hardware changes that also involved the software. For some reason they never got it right and patches were released that actually caused yet other problems. Most of the known problems have been taken care of except I believe the "DND issue" where if an extension is on "do not disturb" a transfered call will go to extension 10 (receptionist) instead of the extension's mailbox. As a dealer I'm just not comfortable with the R7 and prefer to stick with the tried and true R6. I find that many trunk slammers push the R7 because they think it is the latest release and are unaware of the problems. There are legitimate dealers who will sell it also.

As for protectors on the CO lines, I always provide them unless the service is from something like a cable modem or a channel bank. It's small cost is well worth the added protection. Also, I'm not sure that your insurance would cover damage from power surges or lightning, or if it does would be cost effective to file a claim for it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.