web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I remember being notified some time ago, It's legal to re-sell used PBX/PaBX equipment, but illegal for an installer to re-install said used equipment in a commercial capacity?

In stead though if for hobbyist use or self-install, the law does not apply?

Thanks

Don Resor

Last edited by DonaldR; 08/30/24 07:45 AM.

"Most people don't have a sense of humor. They think they do, but they don't." --Jonathan Winters
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
Maybe your jurisdiction is different, but there's no law against installing used telephone equipment for businesses up here in Canada...

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
I have never heard of such a law, but it could be you are referring to needing a valid C7 Low Voltage contractor's license to install new or used equipment under 91 volts.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Admin
Admin
We got a deferment during the Pandemic, but the FCC outlawed the resale of non-compliant MLTS's when Ray Baum and Kari's law was enacted. I was asked to reinstall an SX-50 last year and declined. In today's society when people want to sue everybody and their brother, it's not worth risking the liability for violating the law.

www.fcc.gov/mlts-911-requirements

Once again, I've lost the World icon to attach the link.... Trying this

Carl

This model is end of life
1 member likes this: DonaldR
Originally Posted by Carl Navarro
We got a deferment during the Pandemic, but the FCC outlawed the resale of non-compliant MLTS's when Ray Baum and Kari's law was enacted. I was asked to reinstall an SX-50 last year and declined. In today's society when people want to sue everybody and their brother, it's not worth risking the liability for violating the law.

www.fcc.gov/mlts-911-requirements

Once again, I've lost the World icon to attach the link.... Trying this

Carl

That's the rest if the information I could not immediately remember, then did a few hours later.

Kari's Law/Ray Baum Act. I re-read the FCC ruling and it seems a bit murky when dealing with the second-installation of used PBX/MLTS equipment, or NOS equipment manufactured prior to February 16, 2020, or maybe it isn't at all, and when I first re-read it in a drowsy state it seemed as such.

So I guess then my original inquiry is actually true, you can sell the used equipment but can't legally install it, at least in the USA.

Feb. 17, 2020 and later:

MLTS manufacturers, importers, sellers, and lessors:

May not manufacture or import for use in the United States, or sell or lease or offer to sell or lease in the United States, an MLTS, unless the system is pre-configured so that when it is properly installed in accordance with the MLTS rules, a user may directly initiate a call to 911 from any station equipped with dialing facilities, without dialing any additional digit, code, prefix, or post-fix, including any trunk-access code such as the digit 9, regardless of whether the user is required to dial such a digit, code, prefix, or post-fix for the other calls. (47 CFR § 9.16(a)(1).)

MLTS installers, managers, and operators:

May not install, manage, or operate for use in the United States an MLTS, unless the system is configured so that a user may directly initiate a call to 911 from any station equipped with dialing facilities, without dialing any additional digit, code, prefix, or post-fix, including any trunk-access code such as the digit 9, regardless of whether the user is required to dial such a digit, code, prefix, or post-fix for other calls. (47 CFR § 9.16(b)(1).)

Shall, in installing, managing, or operating an MLTS for use in the United States, configure the system to provide MLTS notification to a central location at the facility where the system is installed or to another person or organization regardless of location, if the system is able to be configured to provide the notification without an improvement to the hardware or software of the system.

(47 CFR § 9.16(b)(2).) MLTS notification must meet the following requirements:

It must be initiated contemporaneously with the 911 call, provided that it is technically feasible to do so; and It must not delay the call to 911; and It must be sent to a location where someone is likely to see or hear it. (47 CFR § 9.16(b)(2).)

"Most people don't have a sense of humor. They think they do, but they don't." --Jonathan Winters
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
If I'm understanding this right, why can't you just install a "Hot Line" button on each phone for 911?

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Admin
Admin
Quit trying to be logical!

It would seem simple enough, but the second part of Kari's law said that onsite personnel must be informed when someone dials 911....oops.

It does say *IF* but that was 6 1/2 years ago..

Carl

This model is end of life

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
Need hard reset of TD308
by Alan_G - 09/16/24 12:03 PM
DB Programming Software for 8.235
by LukeE. - 09/10/24 07:36 PM
Vertical MBX Voicemail box greeting upload
by BurleyTech - 09/10/24 12:25 PM
Telephone dude in retirement
by Professor Shadow - 09/09/24 07:31 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,393
Posts639,301
Members49,804
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
LukeE., BurleyTech, Kobusvant, irjeffb, ALEXKINGTHESUN
49,804 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 14
dexman 10
Seth W 8
pvj 8
teleco 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (nfcphoneman), 131 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024