web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I just found this site so this is my first post. The name is in no way a boast of intelligence just a reflection of some of the equipment I see all day. Any of you seasoned T1 guys have experience with the Westel 3117 unit used when a T1 repeater route has too many repeaters for the office to repeater to power all of them? A repeater somewhere midpoint in the repeater route is placed in loopback and then the office repeater provides the span power to one half of the circuit and this Westel unit provides the same from the opposite direction?

Jack Schall
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Never used the 3117. When I did that sort of work we used a Wescom 3192 in the middle of the run for T-1s (For T-3s we used an ADC product).

Westel is/was a quality manufacturer.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I don’t know that, that is really the intended use for the 3117-xx TER… Although it may work I’ve never know of one being used like that.

What it’s intended app is (or really should say was as it’s pretty ol’ school stuff now) is for T1’s hitting larger customer premise that may be served by fiber and/or Ds3 MUX’es…

If say a 3/1 MUX from the Telco is located in one building on a campus… but the end-user/customer’s CSU is located in an adjacent building and that’s where they would like the NID located. If that length is far enough that it’s going to require a conventional T1 repeater a 3117-xx can be used to interface campus cabling AND provide span power to a repeater and/or CSU.

If you’d like the entire practice on it shoot me you’re e-mail address and I’ll forward a copy to you in PDF form

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
Originally posted by Smart Jack:
I just found this site so this is my first post. The name is in no way a boast of intelligence just a reflection of some of the equipment I see all day. Any of you seasoned T1 guys have experience with the Westel 3117 unit used when a T1 repeater route has too many repeaters for the office to repeater to power all of them? A repeater somewhere midpoint in the repeater route is placed in loopback and then the office repeater provides the span power to one half of the circuit and this Westel unit provides the same from the opposite direction?
The more I think about how you described it Jack, the more sure it's NOT going to be used like that... Putting a repeater in loopback within the span is going to also loopback the dsx1 signal. Meaning no customer data will pass.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
Yeah, your right about it being pretty old stuff. But, they are is still being used to drive T1's to few very remote locations in some of my turf. Not many techs around anymore that are real experts on them now, so I'm getting alot of OJT along with some of my technicians on them now, because they seem to be fairly problematic.

Jack Schall
CnGRacin your right I wasn't clear in my post. I speaking about the old apperatus case repeater runs. The repeaters used in them have an option setting for the line power which allows it to pass the 120V down the route to power the next repeater or loop, which loops the line power only at that repeater so that you don't overload the office repeater. The 60ma signal which contains your data still passes thru the repeater on to the next repeater in the route. It isn't a signal loopback it only stops the line power from passing that repeater from either direction. The signal path is not effected. This is a set up used with you have a very long loop, like >60kft. Typically your first repeater out of the office will be 3kft and 6kft for each one after that. After you get to about 10 repeaters the office repeater can't drive another one. There is no externally powered repeaters in this route except for the office repeater and the end repeater. The 15-20 repeaters between them are completely line powered by the end devices.

Jack Schall

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
Vertical Summit transfer issue
by ljclives - 09/18/24 09:48 AM
Retired and ?
by John807 - 09/17/24 01:03 PM
Need hard reset of TD308
by Alan_G - 09/16/24 12:03 PM
DB Programming Software for 8.235
by LukeE. - 09/10/24 07:36 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,395
Posts639,309
Members49,804
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
LukeE., BurleyTech, Kobusvant, irjeffb, ALEXKINGTHESUN
49,804 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
dexman 9
Seth W 8
teleco 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 247 guests, and 464 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024