Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I agree with SSPhone, Gotta be a bag. Leave the belts to the CO techs. You can get a good assortment of bags from Jensen tools, Specialized Products, Tecra tools, and many more. Buy a belt pouch for your scissors, scrap the cable knife, and put in a pair of needled nose. Knipex makes an electricians set of needle nose with a flat end. I carry one all the time, and it is real handy. The Fluke Microscanner is a great cable tester, and it can help you ID some network problems as well. Last, I just picked up one of the new Harris T-25 test sets. Built in caller ID and digit grabbing among other things. $200 wasn't a bad price. Not as sturdy as the older T-22s and such, but a real handy tool.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I have to disagree with the bag, I have used a belt for over 15 years and not once have I ever wore the belt around my hips. I carry it over my shoulder, it holds every trool I could possibly need. if I come across a job that requires a tool other than what I carry, I send the cable crew in!

Well,

I purchased a couple of small pouches from Jensen and Time Motion, although one was back ordered.

I can say this: I had about 10 screw drivers in my belt for the first few days, and after seeing what I actually use in the field -- I went with an 8 in 1 screw driver from Jensen -- totally the way to go. Every driver you need, super small, and practically no weight. I also picked up a Harris punchdown tool, I can't remember what model number, 914 I think. Anyhow, it has a probe and a pick built into it, pretty neat. I got a few small pouches from Ripoffs, they seem to work well.

I also got a backup pair of snips from Jensen, they say "Heritage" on the side -- and they're not at all as high of quality as my Klein pair, they seem quite a bit more dull, who knows.

I still have one question pending: What brand of cordless drill?

My alarm buddies all say Milwaukee, and I consider alarm installers to be the kings of using massive drill bits for fishing stuff in.

However...

My electrician buddies remain firm with DeWalt.

So what do you guys think?

One of the guys I work with has a Craftsman contractor's series, and he's had it for 6 years with no problems... so maybe it doesn't even matter.

Nick

I would go with Porter-Cable cordless drill (I use a 3/8"). Between my next-door neighbor (a roofer/carpenter) and a couple others in my neighborhood, we've used, abused, and broken most every other brand, but have had generally great results with the P-C. May be a little more money up front than some others, but worth it.

JJ Offline
I have Makita and Dewalt, but love my new 24 volt Dewalt (lots of power and torge). Looking at getting a dremil cordless for cutting holes in drywall and ceiling tiles.

Good Luck!!

If all else fails, use a BFH.
From what I've seen the Milwaukee seem to be the most durable. I got too good of a deal on a Black & Decker and have been impressed with it's power and durability. I think the quality has gotton much better for every manufacturer.

Devin
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I have a couple of Dewalt 14.4 volts, and a couple of Makita 9 volts, both have been really good to me. My favorite however, is a small 2.4 volt cordless screwdriver made by Milwalkee. It has a high and low setting, variable torque, and a removable battery. It has enough power to drive screws into backboards no problem, but light enough when you have to put a bunch of faceplates on, or just general purpose screwdriver. Get the kit that comes with the extra battery and you can't go wrong.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
JJ Offline
Zman, I use the small cordless driver and drill from Skill. It also is lightweight, has replacable batteries and cheap. Not to durable, but mine is about 6 years old. Great for faceplates and attaching the cabinet to backboard.

Love my Dewalt for big jobs!

[This message has been edited by JJ (edited March 28, 2003).]

If all else fails, use a BFH.
I use a Craftsman 12 volt cordless. I mostly install stuff in my house and for a couple classmates at school so I don't use my drill all the time. I also do work in theaters (building sets) and we only use Dewalt drills. Nice stuff but very expensive.
I am looking for some glow rods to fish cable through ceilings. Does anyone know of a good source to get these from or anything else like them that I can use?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
RIP Admin
RIP Admin

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
IP Office 500 v2 - T1 Trunking
by 4thright - 10/17/24 01:35 PM
NEC SV 9100 Upgraded to 12.xx
by teldata1 - 10/16/24 07:00 AM
SL2100 Mobile App going offline
by ToshiGal75 - 10/15/24 09:58 AM
OSDM PW RESET for 7200/7400 V501
by crazy canuck - 10/10/24 09:59 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,412
Posts639,420
Members49,815
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
Eddie5, mikmurray, leomilo, Aly_shehata, Baconator772
49,814 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 12
R4+Z 7
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 224 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024