web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Mitel has discontinued all digital phones, they have streamlined to their 6900 series of ip phones and concentrating on their MiVB which is available as a software package to be installed on customers server or public cloud or private cloud.

In my opinion if all the manufactures above had gone to a full ip software based system sooner they might still be able to compete...

any medium to large size company that opts for hosted is throwing money away

100 phone hosted roughly 24000 a year. 120,000 in 5 years 240,000 in 10 years and so on

100 phone software pack installed in cloud or onsite server roughly 85000 first year and still the same 85000 after 10 years

Last edited by Toner; 10/01/24 04:01 PM.

PBX Battery backup systems

www.telcom1.net
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
Thanks telcom1 - and you're not wrong about the high cost of cloud, especially for larger sites. Sometimes it still makes business sense because of unique cloud functionality but certainly not all the time!

What was the last line of digital phones that Mitel produced? And do you know when they went end of sale?

Last edited by Toner; 10/01/24 03:56 PM.

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
I think you may have forgotten the cost of dial tone and service on a prem base PBX. At 100 sets you may need 2 pride. If you amortize your PBX and add in lines and maintenance you could be close to cloud. Here is what cloud may give your customer...1 no cost feature set upgrade 2. Advanced call reports. 3. Call recording. 4. Mobile app without extra livening. 5 eFax. 6. Voice mail transcription. 7. Network issue diagnostics 8. Customer can upload emergency or bad weather announcements for a.a. anywhere they have a laptop. 9. Software phone without any additional licenses 10. Remote sets that don't require a VPN. 11m. Easily changeable music on hold via a web portal. 12. When the Internet is down calls still hear voice mail options and mailboxes because that is all in the cloud. 13. Ray baums compliance meaning enahnced 911 location reporting showing floor and room location for each phone and remote extensions. 14. Karis law compliance so when someone on the system dials 911 then someone on site can be notified. 15 as an add on advanced call center functionality with a.i. analysis. 16. No fear of product being obsolete because you can switch providers if yours closes shop ..ring, GoTo. Packet 8 etc...if you stay with Yealink or poly you should be fine on the set side for long term support. 17. So easy to tie multiple locations together without sign licenses or VPNs. 18. Because there are no PBX station cards a customer with multiple locations can easily move sets around if one location grows and another shrinks. 19. Texting in and out on your main number via an often included soft phone or mobile app. 20. Your larger providers include 24x7 remote support.

I have many more where cloud beats prem.

For you; mailbox money. Meaning you make a sale and often you do very little after as most providers do the set up and programming and training remotely, and make a monthly deposit in your bank account regardless of where you are vacationing that month!

A 100 phone sale billing around 2k each month might pay you a one time spiff of 6 to 10k depending upon provider and you do very little as the provider does the webinar, proposal. Closes, provides the equipment, Ford the programming, trains, and supports. You just bring a potential customermm. You need no parts or inventory outside maybe a demo set. No office, secretary, or even office (unless you are doing cabling or have legacy pbxs you are maintaining).
On a 2k per month sale a typical monthly residual could be $400 per month..again pure mailbox money you have zero tech or ongoing support obligation for. Do 1 sale a quarter of a few smaller ones that total 100 phones per quarter, in 5 years your monthly checks would be around 8k per month! Again with zero ongoing support or responsibilities. 8k to your bank account regardless of where you are. What your doing. Or even if you are still alive... Thr money flows to your account and then to your heirs. And often these sold customers are very slow to leave your provider if you have a good one because often once the phone are humming along it's a if it ain't broke don't fix it situation
Am I big on cloud? You bet. And you haven't even got me started. I should start to do paid advising or consulting or something right?

Admin
Admin
Wow. So a long answer sells us? Who's paying monthly for this stuff and if they have a finite amount of money, what happens when it runs out?

The infrastructure still has to be built, so in new construction, it's easy. In retrofit, you get to use gateways. That 100 phone hospitality property in backward country just turned into a nightmare. High speed internet? Spectrum '100 down 20 up' some of the time is tough when it goes to 10 down and 3 up. But wait! You can increase the speed to 400 down and 20 up!
Yeah. Still goes to maybe 100 down and 5 up.

Kari's law is easy. Baum? Our state still can't get it right. Unless you factor in about $2 a month per room for exact mapping, there's still no magic formula to make it work, unless they changed the PSAP at the 911 center.

When the internet goes down...You still have no service. It's not a selling point.

I could pick this entire post apart, but it's not productive. Sure. The only one who makes out is the vendor getting the spiffs, maybe the customer who can be bamboozled into low entry costs but paying several times over the cost of a system, and the dial tone provider.

I'm not against hosted. I am against someone trying to extol the virtues of hosted without pointing out the pitfalls. I have access to all of my Voip systems and can do the same things a hosted can do, except change out a gateway. The hosted system still would require the same maintenance if the hardware fails.

Carl

This model is end of life
Carl, thanks for the response.
1. The dollar side... as I show, and it varies, it may not be that much more.. in fact at 100 phones, it might be a wash. But yes having a smart phone costs a bit more than a flip phone, but our country is not out of money because people have all spent extra on a smart phone. Same with hosted. Companies do more, are more productive, etc and often easily pay for the extra cost, if any, of UCaaS.
2. What infrastructure? In a building- most companies have a network or wifi. Most new phones can run quite well on WiFi. Out of building, yes the internet is being upgraded all over whether your customers choose VoIP or not. I disagree public funds should be used, but they are, and upgrades, fiber, etc is happening regardless what phone choices are being made.
3. Ray Baum is a national law so I'd comply regardless of what is going on with your particular E-911 dispatch center. Most of the country has E-911 working correctly and should be putting in phones that comply. Victory for Hosted on this one.
4. No internet? No problem. Most big providers have cell phone apps. But the old way, no dial tone- ya, you got no back up.
5. Bamboozled? For what you get UCaaS is often a much better value.
6. Pick my list of 20 items apart? Lets discuss- Because I am not running around fixing stuff today I have most of the day to discuss this- maybe go see an afternoon movie with the wife today BECAUSE my customers are calling 24x7 support from my provider.
7. Ahh, the big difference- you are changing hardware... while I am at the beach letting my back end do any back end hardware change outs... and most big providers have multiple redundancy centers as fail overs.
8. Is UCaaS perfect? No tech is, but it is often a great upgrade for customers, and if done right, can be great for the sales agent. It is difficult to top Mail Box money- residual checks each month for a sale you made years ago and don't have any on going responsibility. Its a beautiful thing.
Thanks for discussion.

Yes I have lost sales to the cloud, only when the customer signed the contract without consulting with someone like me, I have never lost a sale to the cloud when the customer did consult with me, why? read BrianS last paragraph, who benefits the most? Not the end user, by a long shot!

We get old too soon, smart too late
Admin
Admin
Moved debate here.

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
Hosted has its place. The biggest snag some of my customers had with hosted was the concept of now having to pay an additional $25 bucks a month to have a phone on a new employee's desk. Forever. Premise equipment meant you buy another phone, pay to have it installed and its done and dusted. The monthly charge is paid for in about a year. This was an issue for some, but not for others. Mostly larger companies that had tax concerns were OK with additional monthly charges, but smaller mom and pop outfits would rather pay for something and be done with it.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
Admin
Admin
I was not going to waste my time replying further to the thread. Vodia had a blog post on the benefits to premise systems. The gist of the explanation is that static installations don't need any of the hosted crap. Since 100% of my installations to date are static, I don't need the "features" of a hosted system. My advanced VoIP system does remote access, has VoIP trunks, and requires no cables..just the power cord.

But Dans, you said it best :-)

This model is end of life
I think it depends on the application. Been doing phones for 45 years, NEC & Toshiba for close to 30 years. I remember the selling point for NEC is "They never break" Now they say you need to convert your customers to cloud. It is very hard especially now that NEC is out, trying to sell customers on cloud. I hear the same response, "But it's not broke" You have to read your customers. Customer has a NEC, over 100 phones, Cat3 cabling, no POE switches and it is a manufacturing facility. The cost would be out of control. They don't want or need cloud. Other customers want the apps and want cloud. It just sucks that customers are having cloud shoved down their throat...

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
Hosted VoIP vs. On Prem PBX Debate
by Toner - 10/01/24 04:03 PM
CTX WinAdmin
by Baconator772 - 09/28/24 10:36 PM
New chat forum
by metelcom - 09/26/24 12:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,408
Posts639,391
Members49,812
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
leomilo, Aly_shehata, Baconator772, DavidMirror, Si-14 LLC
49,812 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 14
dexman 9
R4+Z 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024