Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
upstateny #603884 09/14/16 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by upstateny
Fiber to the desktop sounds good in theory but is very expensive to deploy. The typical office user is fine (and will be) with gigabit speeds but get into architects etc. and it begins to make sense.

Cat5e is fine for 99% of users but as long as cable manufacturers and the TIA keep pushing the envelope the IT wienies keep drooling and the latest becomes a must have. Why do you think constant upgrades are such an easy sell to this crowd? And as long as copper is a player it gets the thumbs up because that's all they are familiar with.

If the TIA said enough of the insanity, Cat7 will be the EOL for copper you can bet on how fast fiber gets deployed and the costs involved come down to copper levels.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Actually, it's the IEEE that has to throw the flag. TIA/EIA and ANSI are standards groups that adopt recommendations made by the IEEE.

Since the IEEE members have a predisposition to make recommendations on systems that benefit IEEE members, we will continue to see category increments that make no sense but ultimately becomes a standard.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Ok, then it's the IEEE. Dunno, because every time a new technology becomes available it quickly replaces the old. Somebody has a vested interest in this nonsense because if they didn't it would have ended with CAT5.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Cat8 is meant for data centers and not much more.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Admin
Admin
I wish they would work on reliability and forget about speed. Computers are faster then most people need if they just worked right.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
It would be nice to have a reliable computer and a bug free and virus free operating system. The computers are barely reliable enough to work. The Microsquish operating systems are all beta releases and we, the users, PAY to use their buggy software. What is wrong with this picture?

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Rcaman #603917 09/15/16 12:09 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I got so disgusted with Microsoft after i retired (I had a series of problems - registry errors, viruses, buggy software etc.) and i got tired of hearing that I had to reload Windows.

I switched to Apple and haven't looked back. I don't know how that would work for people who need Windows for business/corporate software. i imagine it could be a serious problem.

There are at least two fixes that I know of - One is to run software called parallels that runs windows and mac OS X simultaneously and the other is a dual boot setup. I don't run either (I don't need it) I do however run some software called Crossover that lets me run MS Visio (which I still use occasionally) on the Mac.

OSX is Unix with the Mac GUI. Unix is practically bulletproof and the Mac GUI is the best I've ever worked with.

Just my $0.02

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Ugh, I'm about to drive the car a little bit further up the sidestreet.

I guess that I'm the polar opposite of Sam. I've used Windows based computers for years and haven't had any real reasons to consider switching to a different OS.

My Microsoft Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3 are fairly well behaved with Windows 10. Are they perfect? No. Is there room for improvement? Yes.

Apple has been having its own problems as of late. Seems like its churning out iOS security patches with ever increasing frequency. iOS 8.0.1.and 9.3.2 were unmitigated disasters...especially 8.0.1. For a company that controls everything about their products, that should not happen.

Due to inflation, I'll be adding my own $0.05. grin

I Love FEATURE 00
Unfortunately, we have a Microsquish shop and EVERYTHING is Windows based. I tried toying with Linux with Wine to run MS programs, but that proved to be less than adequate.

I have a Linux computer that I do ESI programming with and it runs like a finely made watch. In 5 years I have had NO problems. I initially had Wine on it and tried to run MS programs, but that didn't work well so I just removed Wine and use it as just Linux.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
While fiber is definitely the superior technology its just not practical to bring it to the desktop yet hence the continued development of copper. For backbone and data center fiber is king but for desktop copper rules the roost. As far as desktops Microsoft does everything I need and its been pretty solid since Windows 7. Apple is like being allowed into the petting zoo where you can only touch certain things and your always being supervised while everything else allows you full access to the zoo. Yeah every once in a while someone lets the tigers out but for the most part things work fine. Iphones are cute though. atthemovies

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,397 Shoretel
189,123 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 161 guests, and 444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024