web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by Touch Tone Tommy
If all you're worried about is cross connects from the feeder cable to patch panels that hold the station cabling, you just need another patch panel with 25 pair punched down 1 pair per port with a block matching your entrance cable at the other end (be it 66 or 110 or bix or krone). Then of course you cross connect between the blocks and patch between the panels.

Exactly how its done, that way you get best of both the worlds. It will take longer, but that should be an easy price adjustment, and more money for you to make. One difference we do is to run 50 pair and terminate two pair per port that way if you need to break out a couple of analog jacks at the outlet you can.

It would really be a shame to run all that data and not have it available if they decide to swap out the technology. Plus it will be a hell of a lot quicker to terminate on panels than 66 blocks and possibly 110s.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I would terminate all the cat 6 house cables on patch panels. If you don't it is really a waste of money to install cat 6 cabling. Then I would patch all the voice cables to a secondary 8 position patch panel tailed out to pre-connectorized 66 blocks cat whatever. Take your pick of how many active pins you want. I use these telco panels quite a bit now when the site has all wiring terminated on cat5e or 6 patch panels. I just patch a tdm extension directly from one patch panel to another, but there is no reason you can't go from a panel to a block and cross connect to your BET termination.

ortronics patch panels with 25 pair connectors.

Now you can choose how many active pins work from the patch panel, you should use 8 pin position if you don't want to make a bunch of 4 or 6 pin position adapters. When I install a 24 port card using one of these patch panels, I use a 24 port 8 pin panel with only one active pair per port (pins 4&5). Then the question comes up...how do you use the inactive pairs? I use one of these. You can use one on the cat6 house cable patch panel side and split your pairs at the workstation end to multiple jacks or use a pair of these adapters and leave the jack wired with all 4 pairs. I suggest the second way. These babies cost 9 bucks each.

Seimon y adapter (various configurations)

Technically they only meet cat 3 standard but they will transmit gigaspeed. However in your case we are talking standard TDM are we not? They will work just fine.

I have also used the cheap Suttle splitters and picked up pins 3&6 out of a data patch panel as well. There are lots of things you can do without splitting the pairs on the back of the panel.

Now that I am installing SBXs and the station ports are modular, some creative ways of making connections depending on the site and wiring are needed...one has to learn to adapt.

Also, we old tip and ringers may not like it...but with the growth of voip, voice wiring and data wiring needs to be more universal or dynamic if you prefer.

Last edited by Derrick; 04/05/14 01:46 PM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
There won't be any equipment located in this building, just cross connects from the BET to the station cable blocks.

I think some of us are forgetting this. Ed, am I correct in understanding that there will never be any data equipment at this location, just the BET and the ends of the voice cables?

Then it makes no sense to go the patch panel route or even a BET with a 110 output since you should have a cross connect field so that you can utilize the 4 pairs of the CAT6 cables as necessary. So 1 pair jumper wire from the BET 66 output block to either 110s or 66s for the premises wiring.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OK, maybe I need to provide more clarification. We are providing separate voice and data wiring in this building. CAT6 for each with the data terminated on traditional patch panels.

After a lengthy conversation with the customer and the architect, they agree that CAT6 for 38 single line wall phones is gross overkill. We are still going to use CAT6 cable since we've already started the job, but the voice cables will be terminated on 110 blocks.

We are also going to use the identical 189B1-100 BET for the incoming cable with 66 block output to maintain consistency with the other buildings on the premises. Yes, it will mean changing blades or tools when placing a jumper, but I don't see that this will be an issue since this building isn't one where there will be a lot of change activity.

Sorry to start such a firestorm of controversy. It definitely drew a line between the IT types and the traditional telephone people! I guess I was seeking some ammunition to deal with an architect who seems to feast on buzz words and acronyms. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
It definitely drew a line between the IT types and the traditional telephone people!

More like over 100 years of proven reliability vs maybe 20 of "this seems like a good idea". How many failure points does a patch panel system introduce vs a simple hard wired method like Ed and I recommend? What kind of wiring flexibility do patch panels offer in this application? What is the probability of a patch panel system inviting "the brain dead" to play with it? Adding extra expense and extra labor to doing something just because it's done that way today is BS. If it's not needed it's not needed- same as always.

-Hal

Hal, remember that this conversation was based on the use of CAT 6. If you're going to make that investment (although clearly not needed here), you need to consider the long-term possibilities.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
If the customer were looking long term, the architect would be looking at fiber to desktop as opposed to CAT 6.

Last edited by dexman; 04/06/14 02:42 PM.

I Love FEATURE 00
Originally Posted by dexman
If the customer were looking long term, the architect would be looking at fiber to desktop as opposed to CAT 6.

Agreed. Besides, CAT6 is a misapplication in this case the same as sparkies using it for door bell and thermostat wiring. You gonna provide a patch panel on the furnace or electrical backboard for the connection of the wiring with patch cords to the transformer or furnace controls? Common sense goes a long way but unfortunately IT types only know their way.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Originally Posted by dexman

it would make more sense to provide pipe to each location for ease of upgrading when and if needed

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Originally Posted by hbiss
Agreed. Besides, CAT6 is a misapplication in this case the same as sparkies using it for door bell and thermostat wiring. You gonna provide a patch panel on the furnace or electrical backboard for the connection of the wiring with patch cords to the transformer or furnace controls? Common sense goes a long way but unfortunately IT types only know their way.

-Hal

Before you start making derogatory remarks about IT people you should look in the mirror as what you said can also be said about telco people who haven't learned anything new in the last 20 years and think 100 year old technology is still the only way to go.

Just so you know BAC systems are starting to use data cabling as they are starting to be controlled over the networks. So terminating them to a patch panel is the correct thing to do.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,892
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,842 Shoretel
189,962 CTX100 install
188,070 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
3 members (jsaad, Carl Navarro, dcl), 129 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024