Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hello everyone,

First of all let me introduce myself, My name is Alex and i currently work for a title agency near dayton ohio. I've been working in IT for most of my life, i absolutely love technology thumbsup

For some reason i have never really gotten into voice products. I have some idea of how they probably work, I've messed around with some servers running asterisk and some other SIP devices but not much more than that.

Recently we purchased a new set of buildings that i'm assuming were previously foreclosed. The previous business left a lot of junk laying around, but they did also happen to leave their entire phone system. The system seems labeled as a Vodavi GDK100, but after some research i found that it is actually an early DVX+ Infinite system.

I would like to find all the information i can on this system. I would like to know how all of the hardware and software works. This is more of an educational project than anything, but i'm sure i can find a use for the system.

These are my assumptions as of now.

When you open the lid i see a bunch on board fitting into slots, along with a power supply. This unit appears to have a four slot expansion attached to it. On the right of the main board is a lowered slot that contains a board label MPIB which i'm a assuming is the primary processor and houses the control software. It looks like you can interface with it via a serial connection. There are also other boards such as SLIB (has phone jacks) and DTIB (some type of huge telecom bus connector) which i'm not sure of how they work and their exact purpose. Other boards include MSIB and T1IB.

There are also other devices such as caller id interfaces and a 8 port digital voicemail box.

I would appreciate any information about these that you can give me. I would assume these are not VoIP as all of the phones do not have RJ45 connectors.

I hope i'm not stepping on anyones toes here, This is just a great chance for me to learn how some of these things operate. I would think this is an older system and while they may still be actively serviced, i cant imagine many people implement new installations of this system.

Thanks!

Last edited by AlexRMC92; 04/11/13 11:01 AM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It is likely a DVX+2 or +3, depending upon the number of slots in the main cabinet. It may also be a Triad 1 or 2. These are basically the same systems but the software is different to support a different family of phone modes. The DTIB card interfaces with the digital phones using a 25 pair cable. Yes, the system is programmable via the RS232 connector on the MPB, however it is also programmable via the first attendant station (usually extension 100).

It is not classified as a VoIP system, however with the proper software and a LANB card, it can support local or remote IP phones. The phones are proprietary though and mainstream SIP phones are not supported.

The digital voice mail system connects via digital station ports. There is no other connection between this and the phone system itself. The RS232 port on the voice mail is also used for programming, however a proprietary administration program is required.

While it is true that this is an older system, there are still quite a lot of them in service. They are very rugged and the supply of phones and parts is quite abundant.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Awesome, thank you!

The phones are labeled infinite, this is what lead me to to the possibility that it was a DVX+.

Is there any documentation out three on the software? The SLIB cards, are these used for line inputs from the phone company? Is there a license for each card or can the software handle just about any card you put into it?

Honestly i would love to reset the software to factory defaults ( i have a ton of Vodvai floppy disks that i need to find an old computer for) and figure out how the whole system operates. Once i've done that i'd like to hunt down some pan cards for it and their associated software.

The SLIB card provides analog single line telephone extensions. You'd need LCOB cards for the CO lines. There's no licensing at all associated with this system, however the software might be too old to support VoIP phones.

If I were you, I'd just buy the manual for the system. There's a link at the top of this page with some resources.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
How do i for certain that i have a DVX2, DVX+, or triad? here are some pics of the phones the system uses and the rom chips on the processor card.

If i am not on the latest software, how do obtain the latest software?

[Linked Image from imageshack.us]

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The latest software was v 4.1. It requires a chip change to upgrade.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
You have an Infinite system. The software is V3.0. Ver 3.0 was decent but it had a few bugs when it came to flexible numbering.

I thought the last release was V4.17 but that must have been for Triad. It supports the unified 3000 series phones. As dealers, we ordered it from Vodavi (now Vertical)so you need to see a dealer for software. All I have is in the TR(iad) series, not IN(finite).

Last edited by MNDAVE; 04/11/13 08:54 PM.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

OP Offline
Again, thank you guys for all of the help.

Does anyone know of any dealers that will have these 4.1 chips?

Last edited by AlexRMC92; 04/11/13 09:12 PM.
PM sent.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
How do i know whether i have a DVA1, DVX2, DVX3, DVX4, or DVX+? or does it not really matter?

I'm trying to locate a LAN card, i found one labeled LANB but from what i can tell it is for an XTS, not a DVX. Unless they are the same card? Also can these LAN ports be connected to an ethernet switch to service multiple phones on one port? It would be a shame if the 8 port cards could only handle 8 phones. I know the throughput per port is also an issue so you wouldn't want to run an entire office on one port (if a switch can be used that is). Are they megabit or gigabit ports?

Does the manual describe all of the different cards available and what they do / how they work? I'm hoping that with a LAN card, 4.1 chip, and the dVX manual i would be set.

EDIT: Looks like if i'm looking a the right card, it's only VoIP connections per card, bummer. But it does look like theres a 12/24 board as well.

Last edited by AlexRMC92; 04/12/13 11:09 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,581 Shoretel
189,463 CTX100 install
187,618 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024