Business Phone Systems

Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Have a customer with a plain voice T1 (not PRI). When they make an outgoing call the receiving end gets an "unknown caller" ID. Verizon says this is the way it works. Is this true? Also, can my customer receive caller ID on this T1??
Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Is the actual service provider in question Verizon, or is there a third party involved?

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
The provider at your customers place sends out the number on outgoing calls. The provider at the called location looks up that number in their database and provides it to the called location. That's how it works.

If the called location provider has "Unknown Caller" as the name for that number---then that's what is going to be displayed. Some providers don't make any changes in their database for years. Also, some providers want extra $$ to provide a name. If that called location has refused to pay that fee---then that's what they're going to get for all of the incoming calls---"Unknown Caller".

Somewhat educated guess: A plain old T1 contains 24 channels each at 64kbps availible for data or voice. There is no extra bandwidth availible for extra services like caller ID presentation. A PRI has 23 channels for voice or data and 1 signalling channel to handle signalling functions and extra things possible like caller ID for the 23 channels.

PS: I haven't seen too any PBX's using anything but PRI's.

Forty six years and still fascinated with Telecommunications!
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
In cases where trunks are T1E&M, loop or ground start, the LEC can assign an ANI to the trunk group in the Central Office switch and forward it along on originating calls. The terminating switch would check the database for the name associated with the ANI and pass it along to the called party.

I Love FEATURE 00
Thanks for the input. The service is Verizon, customer's PBX is a Panasonic KX-T1232 rev 4. Looks like it is time for an upgrade to PRI, or maybe SIP trunks

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Contrary to popular belief, each channel of a T1 has room for the CID. Remember, it's only presented between the 1st and 2nd ring (and again between 2 other rings 7 & 8?). It requires no overhead data space, it's sent as a modem signal @ 1200 (?) baud. You can hear it with a buttset in monitor mode. HOWEVER, most LECs don't want to mess with it! When we run a PRI to an old Mitel D, we convert it to a T1 with an Asterisk machine at the customer site. And then feed it to the Mitel T1 card. No not a trunk card, a T1 card. And yes, the Mitel 15/16 will display CID on the console. CID works just fine if you provision everything correctly. You must, however, disable trunk 24 on the T1, because there are only 23 on the PRI.
However, sending the CID out will have to be done by the Asterisk, if the Provider won't attach it. In addition, I have been told that there are 2 different CID transmission schemes and not all LECs are willing to deal with both. True, beats me? Maybe someone else knows for sure!

Last edited by Lightninghorse; 10/03/12 01:56 PM.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
"Back in the day" There was no CID on T-1 UNLESS you had MCI. They had a standard and you could have ANI which is similar to CID. So, Lightninghorse is correct in that there is plenty of bandwidth for the CID data, however, the way Telcos tariff their products, they will never provision CID or ANI on T-1 when they have it on PRI.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Originally Posted by andyphones
Have a customer with a plain voice T1 (not PRI). When they make an outgoing call the receiving end gets an "unknown caller" ID. Verizon says this is the way it works. Is this true? Also, can my customer receive caller ID on this T1??

... customer's PBX is a Panasonic KX-T1232 rev 4. Looks like it is time for an upgrade to PRI, or maybe SIP trunks

With that Panasonic key system you have POTS trunks so there has to be a channel bank owned by probably Verizon someplace. You could just leave the system as is and upgrade to PRI. But I don't believe the 1232 is CID capable (or is there an add on module for it, been a long time).

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally Posted by Rcaman
however, the way Telcos tariff their products, they will never provision CID or ANI on T-1 when they have it on PRI.

Rcaman

I believe that this is the key issue, and that's why I asked who the provider was.

One can get a voice-provisioned T-1 with all the bells and whistles nowadays, but not from Verizon directly. If you need that type of service, and Verizon is the only service provider (not the LEC!) in your neck of the woods, you'll have to go for a PRI.

Good luck.

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
SV9100 Yesterday's technology today...
by Carl Navarro - 09/19/24 08:29 AM
Vertical Summit transfer issue
by ljclives - 09/18/24 09:48 AM
Retired and ?
by John807 - 09/17/24 01:03 PM
Need hard reset of TD308
by Alan_G - 09/16/24 12:03 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,396
Posts639,312
Members49,805
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
LukeE., BurleyTech, Kobusvant, irjeffb, ALEXKINGTHESUN
49,804 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
dexman 9
Seth W 8
teleco 6
pvj 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 288 guests, and 129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024