Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
I'm working on a project where I replaced a window with a sliding door. I have not yet sheetrocked around the new door, and have the cable and magnetic contact (push-in type) coiled up near the new door.

I've noticed on many new installs where there are vinyl windows and doors that the alarm installer doesn't use push-in type contact, but instead uses the surface-mount contacts and magnets. Is this to avoid drilling into the vinyl?

I need to sheetrock around the new door, but want to make sure I get the cable moved to the right location beforehand. This new door has a vinyl exterior and fiberglass interior and frame.

What's the best placement for the contact?

Can it remain push-in, or should it be changed to surface?

Can it be installed in such a way to allow it to be armed in the open position (not fully opened, but to the point where the bolt holds it open about 6")?

Thanks!

Justin

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The push-in contact (I assume you mean roller ball or similar) should work fine although you may need spacers to make sure the the ball is depressed fully when the door is closed.

If you want to be able to arm the system with the door partially open, you will need to switch to an exposed contact and will need an additional magnet. Open the door the desired distance and install the contact and magnet so both are aligned. Then close the door and install the second magnet so that it is aligned with the contact with the door closed.

I have done it on windows to provide ventilation, but don't recommend it for sliding due to reduced security. Be sure to install the contact far enough away from the door opening so that someone can't reach in and set a magnet by the contact and defeat the door sensor.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski
Actually I mean a round sensor where it pushes in the hole when you install it. I guess a better description would be a flush-mount. In that case, I don't think someone could reach in and put in a magnet if the sensor is located at the back end of the door (furthest from the opening).

Justin

That type sensor is what I was referring to as a roller ball.

The situation that I referred to with someone reaching thru the door opening and placing a magnet next to the contact switch only applies to a surface mounted contact.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski
If you want the door to be protected in two positions the only way is with a surface contact on the top of the frame and a magnet at each position on the top of the sliding door.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
My bad. I just re-read your post.

You actually are talking about a recessed contact with separate magnet. Like this https://www.basshome.com/product_41458_detailed.htm

I don't recommend using it on a sliding door-alignment is too tricky unless you have lots of experience with them.

I would recommend something like this for a recessed contact:
https://www.townsendsystems.com/pdf/3008.pdf

recessed contacts may void any warranty on your door since you are drilling a hole in it. Something like this will work fine for you. Also as Hal noted you can install the contact where ever you want the door to stay open but armed and just use two magnets on the sliding part of the door

I Swear I did not touch anything bash

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
New chat forum
by metelcom - 09/26/24 12:26 PM
CO assignment to station key
by SamL - 09/20/24 09:05 AM
SV9100 Yesterday's technology today...
by Carl Navarro - 09/19/24 08:29 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,402
Posts639,370
Members49,808
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
DavidMirror, Si-14 LLC, SamL, xsh74, LukeE.
49,808 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 16
dexman 10
pvj 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 224 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024