Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Nope, I don't have one, but your state's public utilities commision does. Don't forget that rules also change from city to city or county to county. You should be able to find the location service's number on any pedestal or transformer in your area though. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.

It's nice to see that you have such a strong desire to do things right.

There are plenty of members here from your area who might be able to assist. They probably will chime in, but with it being the weekend, I wouldn't expect any responses until early next week.

Keep up the good work and ethic. Copper splicing won't be going away anytime soon, but I wouldn't start my career in it. While it's true that copper will probably be around after you are long-gone, you have to keep other options open. Obviously fiber optics is the best area to explore.

You are off to a good start. Take the punches and learn as you go. Don't hate the bosses; they are working with people, investors or customers who may be telling THEM what to do. Just be careful and don't risk your life or those of others.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by ry1400:
do you know of a site that lists the laws dealing with the utility locates and also that of pedestals and the radius of the easement around it?
Here's a start:
https://www.texasonecall.com/law.php
https://www.onecalltexas.com/

thanks guys!

I just think that its a huge fault of the company that they hire me and not ever being in this field before, I am the one, along with my roommate who has done it for 3-6 months, that are telling the highups what they are doing is illegal, and could bring enough lawsuit to bring the end.

This project started on the 22nd, the supervisor came in from houston, and all these problems have arised.

okay im off to a birthday lunch.

Here in California, even if you have locates done you're required to handdig within 3 feet either way of the locate. But past 6" underground I wouldn't be slamming a shovel or a pick into the dirt, especially since you're already in a utility right of way.

-Robert F
One thing to remember if you don't locate - most electric lines are 240V from transformer to house, minimum 7200V to the transformer. (Ouch!) Gas lines, especially in the right-of-way, are high pressure and don't like sparks from shovels hitting rocks.

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
This thread is old as dirt (no pun intended). Let's start another one if anyone is interested in doing so.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I decided that I like the field, and im going to continue in it....

but im getting my job training through the military.

United States Coast Guard, Rating of IT.

shipout february 6th.

going to get my head on straight, and save some money.

wish me luck!

Good luck! Excellant choice!

I have heard of people using the tube of silicon for a "backyard" splice, but isn't there a chance of the acetic acid in the silicon causing noisy or intermittent connections over time? I think it would take years for the silicon in the middle of the tube to cure properly.

Yes, the acidic properties of silicone caulk will break down the integrity of the splices AND the insulation of the cable pairs. Use of it is strongly discouraged for encapsulating splices.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,602 Shoretel
189,485 CTX100 install
187,650 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 148 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024