Business Phone Systems

Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Just use a screw terminal jack and be done with it...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally posted by Carl Navarro:
We had our own goofy jacks, wall plates, and handsets.

Carl
Boy that's an understatement. They had some cheesy jacks for sure, especially the ones for wall phones with their non-standard stud placement. What were they thinking?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
the stud placement fit AE phones and I would imagine it was developed during regulated days ..If you wanted a phone you called them

it made more sense to me ( a stud on the standard jack screw) one could certainly suggest the bell standard was the screwy one requiring a special jack rather than a couple of studs on a mounting screw

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Never strip insulation from an IDC. The insulation helps form a seal to prevent corrosion.

I agree with everyone else - use the screw connector, as awful as it is. I wouldn't pull out the wire either if I had a choice.

If you take the modem to the demarc, and disconnect your wiring, does it work? This will definitively verify that the telco's side is working good. I would make sure of that before redoing my wiring. smile I'd also disconnect any other wires on that line (for instance, a kitchen jack that is unused) - particularly if you think those legs might have opens on one of the two wires, as it's important for DSL that everything remain balanced.

That said, DSL will work but at a significant signal loss if you have an open on one of the two wires (dialtone won't). It's also not unusual for the telco in this area (Qwest) to move the DSL to a newer DSLAM in the CO when it is reconnected - and these DSLAMs do have different tolerances, so it might have worked in the past on a bad set of wiring. The phone company may also have changed modulation techniques for the modem to one less tolerant of noise. So that is why it might not work now but did in the past.

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
I was speaking about this instance Arthur. I don't see a need for rigging the wiring just to use a keystone jack. Yes there are situations where a splice may be required but not just because we "feel" like using a particular jack. For this application a screw terminal faceplate will work just fine.

Out of curiosity, why are there two green wire ends in that picture?

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Originally posted by JoelM:
Out of curiosity, why are there two green wire ends in that picture?
...and Yellow and Black...I think there must be two cables, or one very short cable that, as in "Star Trek: The Original Series" would state: GNDN*

*The term "Jefferies tube" was originally an inside joke among the original Star Trek production staff, a reference to Original Series art director Matt Jefferies, the man who designed the original starship Enterprise.
in the Jefferies tube sets on the original Star Trek series are labels on the pipes marked "G.N.D.N.". This stands for "Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing." The labels are usually written so small as to be invisible to the audience, but can be seen in certain scenes from the Star Trek films.

Remember I looked it up, so you don't have to... laugh

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
the other green, yellow and black are wires from another cable that runs into a bedroom, but I have a feeling that previous owners cat got a hold of it by the the patio door and snacked on it for a while after it was disconnected at the jack. As you can see in first 2 pics the red wire still has the twist attached to it from that other cable, I wonder who did the rewiring? Also, seems like no matter how much of that old quad is stripped, there is no shiny copper, I stripped the useless wire for the giggles of it. I'll just have to clean the ends before I'll end up terminating them in the jack.

I just had a thought, I remember at one time I found what looked like a 66 mini block of some sort, I didn't had a lot of time to stop and take a good look at it, will post a pic of it later. I had a thought that maybe I can use it for my solution of hooking up the jack in the kitchen and bedroom. There is only one quad wire coming into a suite, so there is only one real jack is in the kitchen, and the rest of the luxury has to be daisy chained to it.

PM sent

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
Need hard reset of TD308
by Alan_G - 09/16/24 12:03 PM
DB Programming Software for 8.235
by LukeE. - 09/10/24 07:36 PM
Vertical MBX Voicemail box greeting upload
by BurleyTech - 09/10/24 12:25 PM
Telephone dude in retirement
by Professor Shadow - 09/09/24 07:31 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,393
Posts639,301
Members49,804
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
LukeE., BurleyTech, Kobusvant, irjeffb, ALEXKINGTHESUN
49,804 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 14
dexman 10
Seth W 8
pvj 8
teleco 6
Who's Online Now
2 members (Alan_G, nfcphoneman), 165 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024