web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
zap Offline
There seems to be a little misinformation here.
A TDR can be a stand alone tool or part of a multi-function tester.
Here's an example of a stand alone TDR.
https://www.valuetesters.com/Cable-Fault-Locator.php

One should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
A few more things.

Yes, most cable certifiers have TDR functionality built in to them, but they're not true TDRs in the sense that this is a secondary function for them. Their primary purpose is to certify Cat X cable. If you're not working with Cat5E/6/6A you're really not going to be able to use your Network Certifier as a TDR.

As far as FIOS goes, It is a brand new termination. A T-1 comes in on two pair of (individually shielded) copper. A DSL comes in on one pair of copper. FIOS comes in on a brand new run of Fiber. As far as the quality, at least for me it's been excellent. Real good telephone service with lots of features (Caller ID, Voice Mail etc.) . Excellent very fast Internet access (20mbs) and Very clear, very sharp TV with lots of channels. Customer service has been very, very, good.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
sph Offline
Sam, I don't doubt the merits of FIOS, I'm all for it if it can be had in your area. I just thought that the poster @ slashdot should be a bit clearer and more precise seeing that he has technical responsibilities and he's asking for help/advice.
Not to belabor the issue, but in my view an upgrade from a DS1 would be a DS3. Putting in FIOS I would call a switch in service type, not an upgrade. But maybe I'm too anal about it.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
SPH -

I agree with you. To me FIOS is a residential product. Perhaps Verizon is now instituting a "Business FIOS" but...

A T-1 is a business product. As is a T-3. And OC-Anything. You could get them in your home, but that doesn't make them residential services.

Carriers have (usually) had a better/faster response to business services then they did to residential products. I have no problem with that and think it's appropriate.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Originally posted by sph:
Also, call me a stickler, but imo there's a misunderstanding with the terminology somewhere. The poster mentions "upgrading" from a "T1 line" to a "20 mbit line". It would be incorrect, imo, for this to apply to FIOS. First, that would not be an upgrade within the same connection setup but a change in the connection setup. Second, from the subscriber perspective, FIOS connections are basically taps on loops, not point-to-point connections on lines (assuming this is "traditional" T1). So where does a "20 Mbit line" come into this?
The OP is a CG, thus the use of the word "upgrade". To a CG, improving the level of something is upgrading it. A loose analogy would be a Drive upgrade, from PATA to SATA and having a larger Drive. It would be an upgrade even though you have to change the drive connection service to increase the drive capacity. I try not to use the word 'upgrade' at all, and prefer simpler terms that people can understand like 'increase' or "replace with a larger/better".

It certainly doesn't help that the main stream public has started using "upgrade". I've heard such moronic things as "upgrade your ____ (car/house/property/phone/etc)" to mean replace and improve.

The other thing is the choice of the word "line", instead of path or circuit when talking about capacity. It all comes back to the OP being a CG and probably meaning a data line, irrespective of hardware. Where a telecom person hears the word line and thinks 'copper'. The OP is probably the worst form of CG, a Manager CG. A creature which has little if any understanding of the technology they manage.

As a Manager CG you could probably convince the OP that they upgrade the waterline on the boat to go faster. :rofl:

idd

About me:
8 years of network support
7 years IT field service

Always looking for the next project to be done.
Originally posted by igadget:
The OP is a CG, thus the use of the word "upgrade". To a CG, improving the level of something is upgrading it. A loose analogy would be a Drive upgrade, from PATA to SATA and having a larger Drive. It would be an upgrade even though you have to change the drive connection service to increase the drive capacity. I try not to use the word 'upgrade' at all, and prefer simpler terms that people can understand like 'increase' or "replace with a larger/better".

It certainly doesn't help that the main stream public has started using "upgrade". I've heard such moronic things as "upgrade your ____ (car/house/property/phone/etc)" to mean replace and improve.
Perhaps, but I have been known on occasion to refer to "upgrading" my female companionship because, as a gentleman, I would rather not put too fine a point on what specifically I was trying to replace or increase. laugh

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
Personally we make all of our patch cables at work. Sometimes I wish we didn't. We buy good stranded cable, and use panduit antihooking ends. Once you make a few I never screw up anymore. The major benefit I see it has is the ability tom make custom lengths. However, with all the neat cable managers it dosn't really matter. When you factor in cost of it dosn't really matter either. IMO

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,907 Shoretel
190,067 CTX100 install
188,227 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 6
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 51 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024