Well, it looks like you have a few things going on.

First, it sounds like the main greeting still has the default greeting. The 2 parts should be "Thank you for calling. If you know the extension of the person you wish to reach dial it now" .

Depending on if you have a Stratagy ES , MAS, or one of the DOS voicemail systems like the LVMU or IVP8, the main greeting is either in 2 parts of mailbox 990, or in 2 different mailboxes 990 and 991

If I was going to make a guess, I would think that the previous tech intentionally setup the system to ring for 40 seconds before going to voicemail,probably so that the local users will have a chance to pick it up. The default timer is normally set for 20 seconds.
The challenge is to find out how the system is setup to ring, DID or DIT to a multiple call group or to a Phantom. Then you would have to enable System Call forwarding of the MCG or Phantom.

If I was going to make a guess about the dead air, I would guess that the user at x8193 did not properly setup their personal voicemail box.

There is a system setting to change all transfers to play MOH instead of ringback tone.. his would effect both transfer forma user and for transfers from the voicemail system.