Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MacOSX Offline OP
Moderator-Toshiba
OP Offline
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
Question. Did the 'thing' that goes DING-DONG or RING get its name from Alex or were they called 'BELLS' BA? (Before Alex) Were they called 'gongs' first, or maybe 'damn noise', or 'ding-dongs'? Again, too much time on my hands! smile John C. (Not Garand)
[Linked Image from freshchocodiles.com]
^^^
:toothy:

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Isn't this one of eight million stories like:

1. Oreo clearly stealing the cookie design from Hydrox (followed by a marketing campaign that attacked the "chemical" name of Hydrox.

2. Betamax beaten by out by a clearly inferior VHS product (it's all about who you grease, and who gets behind you.)

3a. Bill Gates' DOS--clearly stealing code from Gary Kildall's CP/M...the final straw in putting Digital Equipment out of business. Mr. Kildall also invented the first computer with a BIOS, an idea that was later incorporated into IBM machines without proper credit.

3b. Bill Gates' Windows--clearly stealing the "look and feel" of the Apple and Xerox GUI interface.

3c. Bill Gates' defrag--clearly stealing raw code from Peter Norton (OK...enough about evil Bill. He's a philanthropist, now that he can afford to be.)

4. Thomas Edison, who clearly stole a large number of "his" ideas from fellow inventors (and then used corrupt friends and muscle to clear a path for himself). In particular, read up on Edison's theft, duplication and profitable exibition of Georges Méliès "A Trip To The Moon" (1903). Georges Méliès never saw a cent from these exibitions.

5. How about all the companies that have "borrowed" the [stereotypically dyslexic] letter R from Toys R Us? Tools R Us, Closets R Us, Phones R Us, etc. Did you know that there is even a "Stumps R Us" amputee website? I'm not kidding! See https://www.stumps.org/.

6. Bill Watterston gave up writing the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes" because of all the illegitimate merchandise that flourished in a buying market that didn't care. Mr. Watterston couldn't hold a candle to the hundreds of lawyers that sat between him and the clan that created window sticker versions of Calvin urinating on a Ford or Chevy logo (among many other unauthorized expressions of his work). Life was too short, so Bill quit the fight.

Boy could I go on.... And PLEASE don't get me started about what Cisco Systems has stolen from lesser funded companies. I'm not an anti-compete guy; I just feel that you can still make it to the top without that kind of morality.

[Edited to soften my knee-jerk anger]

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,326
Posts638,990
Members49,781
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,441 Shoretel
190,710 CTX100 install
189,203 1a2 system
Newest Members
wierderal, dante2, Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg
49,781 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 11
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
dexman 3
whoami 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024