Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#484222 07/05/07 07:05 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
We took the last GTD-120 that we had under maintenance out of service in 1993. We've since installed two replacement systems at the same site. What's funny is that the GTD still sits there, as if ready for us to fire it back up. The customer called recently and asked what they should do with it since they need to make some space. I gave them the names of several refurbishers since there's a good chance that there are some out there kicking along. From what I have been told, the did find a buyer and fetched a decent amount of money for it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#484223 07/05/07 01:03 PM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
OP Offline
It's funny how you can go into places where the customer has always had a PBX and you can tell from what's left, what they had. Sometimes 2 or 3 systems back! And sometimes get paid to haul it away, AND make a little $ from the refurbers!

Large hotel/motels come to mind. In the mid '90's I put in a 1005 Mitel Hybrid. Had to move the Siemens 232 and the ??? Japanese Stepper out as part of the sales agreement! That stepper was 7 feet high and probably 12 feet wide and about 3 feet deep. Unlocked the main equipment rack and started to roll it out to start disassembly. Thank the Lord I had help, that thing did NOT want to stop rolling! The Siemens we sold to refurbers, all but the cabinet. But, it made a real nice gun cabinet, once I stripped it out. That Japanese stepper, we sold to the local scrapyard. Got enough to pay the gas to haul it out there. smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#484224 07/27/07 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Silversam:
Ed -

The GTD-120 was a nice little system and as I remember, it was the first small PBX to offer a direct T-1 Interface (This about 1982). Any system not maintained well will give you grief (Illinois Bell probably didn't send enough guys to school, have enough spare parts etc.)

The real problem with the GTE PBXs wasn't the PBX - it was the phones.

We put an OMNI digital PBX with Electronic Phones in for Apple Computer. It worked fine. One day we got a call that no one could access their phones. We came out and discovered that a secretary, who, having been given notice went around and as her last act on the job put a password into each phone (a cute feature, rarely used) and then locked them all.

We discovered we couldn't get in to the password from the system console! The password was stored in firmware in the phone and was not accessable at all! Disconnecting the phones required waiting a couple of months for the set to die quietly!

We had to replace ALL the sets.

The next revision of software took care of that problem, but it seems we were always playing catchup with the instruments.

Sam
I still have an omni and sbcs's running
out there

#484225 07/27/07 01:54 PM
I haven't heard much regarding the GTD-5 since Lucent aquired AG Communications. Are there still alot of GTD-5s out there?

#484226 07/27/07 06:27 PM
Mike:

I wouldn't say that there are a lot of them out there, but there are plenty of bits and pieces. I know that there are some in former GTE properties that are now Verizon. Many former GTE territories are still using the 3072 line ESU made by GTE/Automatic Electric. Here are a few remaining GTD5 remotes but I have absolutely no clue what's hosting them:

SARKFLXARSA (St. Armonds Key, FL)
SARKFLXARSA (Parrish, FL)
LAIEHICORS0 (Laie, HI)
MKPUHICORS1 (Makapu, HI)
KLKKHICORS0 (Kealakekua, HI)
KLAOHICORS0 (Kalaoa, HI)
VRNNORXXRS0 (Veronia, OR)
SCHLORXXRS1 (Scholls, OR)
STFRORXXRS1 (Stafford, OR)
TRRHINXDRS0 (Terre Haute, IN)
HRSNIDXARS1 (Harrison, ID)

In the Verizon areas where I know that GTD5's existed, they all appear to have been replaced with the 5ESS. I wonder if there is a way that the many AE ESU's are working behind them somehow.

This is a good question for one of the former GTE telco guys for sure.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#484227 07/28/07 05:54 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
County wide -

Still have an omni running! I haven't seen one in close to 20 years. They were great switches. The creature (sorry, I mean feature) phones were sometimes a little funky, but like all the GTE product line, the switches were rock solid.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#484228 07/28/07 06:35 AM
Although our two GTD-5s were replaced by two 5ESS/SM-2000s, I remember hearing about Lucent's GTD-5 upgrade option. I'll have to hound them about this while at the their training facility in September, to find out how they are supporting these switches. Thanks for providing that list, Ed.

#484229 08/17/07 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Silversam:
John C -

some little mickey mouse product that had about 4 CO lines and 8 or 10 stations.

Sam
Reminds me of the NEC Patrician 412 (?) circa late '70s

#484230 08/18/07 09:16 AM
OP Offline
Let's see, was it silversam that mentioned the 4 X 12 Iwatsu? Only one I know about was the Omega III 412. It used the regular Omega III phone with some straps cut, or installed, I don't remember which. There was, OF COURSE, a quite expensive proprietary programmer that you needed for any purpose but turning the thing on and off! Used 4 keys for C O and the other 16 for........ you guessed it, intercom! Altho all buttons had LED's, I believe only #1 station had BLF functionality. To do more would have taken 4 times the power supply, for all those lo-tech, high current, 1st generation LED's. The bigger III's had straps and jumpers in the phones and on the cabinet PCB's to do all sorts of things. The only 'programming' was on the speed dial number ROM, which required another expensive, proprietary programmer. That's enough excitement for 1 day kid's. Next time I'll tell you about the GTE Omni I installed in the only privately owned building on a U. S. Army fort. smile John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#484231 08/19/07 03:46 AM
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Originally posted by BobbyT:
The DCO was the first class five digital switch to go into service in the US. This occurred on July 17, 1977, in Richmond Hill Ga., where I was the lead Installer on that project.
The above is only a small part of the total picture as far as SC is concerned, but those stories will have to wait till later.
As I was rereading some of the Trivia, I came across the Richmond Hill, Ga. comment and my memory was jogged a bit. I had driven through/by Richmond Hill a hundred times in the late 70's and early 80's. The question is why would a sophisticated piece of technology be installed here? There's absolutely nothing here except piney woods. Well there's Fort Stewart and Savannah! Just down the road in St. Mary's there's an almost forgotten about run down army ammo base with a pier. From the main gate, it was about 2 miles to the pier on old narrow service roads. Speed limit about 10mph and watch out for the deer! That old army base is now Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay. So, the work you did in '77 was predicated on world politics beginning the early to mid 70's and my involvement in '78 and '79. You see, I was stationed aboard the USS Simon Lake and my job was to ensure land based communications were ready when the ship arrived and we could begin servicing the east coast SSBN fleet! Thought you might like to know.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,629 Shoretel
189,517 CTX100 install
187,776 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024