Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#483835 02/11/06 08:58 AM
Joey D Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings & Salutations to The Group!

I'll get right to it. We have a Western Electric 511c(I believe) KSU with 4 400D cards installed and 11 ITT 2564 6-button phone stations. Everything is working fine, but I'm looking to add a speakerphone to my desk.

From what I've been able to gather, I'm looking for the model 2844 Speakerphone. However, I'm not sure and I'm unable to find any additional information about this device, OR where to purchase said device.

The desired goal of my quest is to have the 2564 on my desk and an "accessory" speakerphone for long waits on hold, conferences, etc. I would need the ability to place any of the 4 lines on speakerphone, but do not require dial-out functionality from the speakerphone.

What I imagine (or hope, as the case may be) is there exists a device that has the 50 pin connector, which I could couple into the existing desk set connection, and has 6 buttons just like the phone sets, without the dialpad.

I hope I've explained myself and my goals well enough to make sense and I thank all for any help given. Thanks again.

--Joe

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Viking welcome
Would you be kind enough to complete your profile.

Theres a listing for new ones to call 1-856-346-4929 and shows 4 new ones .
he also listed 2842 sets ,i think some were icm speakerphones and some were full speaker.

If Ed pops in he has some older books .
and could clarify this for you .

Joey D Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,

Thanks for the information. I think you were referring to SurplusMaster? It looks like they have a variety of equipment that would suit my needs.

It looks like the Speakerphone 4A is what I need. I read the recent topic of "Western Electic speakerphone" and it looks like it couples right into the 50-pin connector.

One question, I read in the above mentioned topic there is a "rockerswitch transmitter." Does this mean the TX audio is disabled until I press the switch? If so, is the RX audio muted while the TX switch is pressed? I'll probably be using the device mostly to prevent neck cramps while "waiting for the next available associate."

One other question; when the speakerphone is active, on a call, is the touch-tone keypad disabled on the phoneset, or will it still send tones down the line so I can, "Press 1 to hold, Press 2 to hold a really long time...."?

If anybody has a manual for the 4A, or could explain the operation of the device, e.g., do I have to lift the handset off the cradle, etc., I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to all for the info & help!

--Joe

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Joe:

Yes, the 4A speakerphone is what you want, but your phone will need to be a 2565, not the current 2564 that you have. So, you will essentially need to buy both. Once you have the 2565 and the 4A with the appropriate connector, then yes, you can almost plug the whole setup together yourself. The only wiring you will have to do is connecting the power transformer to the connecting block.

As far as operation of the 4A, it's really pretty simple. The rocker switch selects either on or off. There's a rotary volume level wheel on the right side. If you are on speakerphone, you can mute the transmitter by holding the rocker switch down in the "ON" position. You have to hold it down to keep the transmitter muted. For normal conversation, all you have to do is turn it on to begin the call and off to end it. It's really no different than using the phone normally.

When you turn on the 4A, the 2565 phone is fully-functional, in that you still use the dial, line keys and hold button on the phone. The handset remains in the cradle the whole time the 4A is in use, in fact if it is lifted, the 4A automatically cuts off.

Sources for the 4A are becoming increasingly limited, so if you are on the fence about buying one, you should do it now.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Joey D Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the great information. Two questions:
1) Why is the 2565 required?
2) Would the 2568 (or any other phone set) work?

Just more for curiosity than anything else. Thanks again for all of the help.

--Joe

Joe:

The 2565 has a special dial in it that has connections that are brought back out of the phone in the line cord to the 4A speakerphone connection block. This phone also has a few additional leads from the hook switch to allow the phone to be "turned on" without lifting the handset. These leads (violet/green, violet/brown and violet/slate) are required and expected by the 4A. If you have a 2564 set, it lacks the special dial contacts, not to mention the entire compliment of five "violet" pairs in the line cord. It stops at yellow-slate with the 2564 model. Modification of a 2564 is not an economical option.

As for the 2568 question, I will have to get back to you on that, but I seem to recall that any 256X series phone above 2564 supported the 4A.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Joey D Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Ed (& Group),

I've checked with SurplusMaster, Surplus Sales of Nebraska, Barclay Enterprises, and NTCP. None of these guys have a fully functional 4A for sale. Do you (or anybody else) have other ideas as to where I should try? I've also been checking Ebay regularly.

If I'm unable to find a 4A, would replacing the 256x set on my desk with the 2844 give me the same functionality all in one unit? Or is there another model that will handle 4 lines with a built-in speakerhone?

As always, thank you for the input.

--Joe

Joe:

Yes, the 2844 will give you everyting in one package and it's not a bad looking phone. It's more a matter of finding one.

We used to purchase a good bit of 1A2 equipment from Eltas, but I don't know if they still carry it. I will say that their refurbised equipment was really good in quality. I don't think they do it anymore, but you can try them at (800) 488-2830.

You might want to look into the Comdial Voice Express (VX41) and the 6-button keystrip if you can find it. It was a really nice phone for it's time and had a lot of nice features, like speed dial buttons, etc.

Anyway, here are some other potential suppliers:

Southern Telcom (800-752-1107); Blue Sky Telephone (800-774-4341) and Communication Support Equipment (877-288-8909).

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
You might want to try:
tel-part Inc.
800-275-8355 or on the web
https://www.tel-part.com

Tom:

I called them before my previous post. They are 100% out of the 1A2 business; they only had one technician left who could service it and he retired two years ago. We used to get all of our unusual 1A2 equipment from them. Too bad.....

Their website is also dead. Nothing works; you have to just call them. I guess the guy that handled their 1A2 also handled their website.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,642 Shoretel
189,525 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 173 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024