web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Site Sponsor: Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
yeahhhh, that example I gave was really oxidized. It seemed as if the copper was oxidized and the steel under the copper coating was rusted through.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Oh, by the way, since you have 4 conductors in the JKT, you should splice and terminate all 4 of them when you do this installation, to create a 2-line jack (RJ14W).

You might need to use the second pair for a two-line phone, and if you make the splices now, you won't need to come back and open the jack again to make the connections.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Since the writing is old, I'm trying to get the most out it, and the best splice out of it, I'm my own customer,lol. I just thought that there were jacks that would off accommodate the older thicker write, but it seems like I'm starting to lean towards stripping the jacket from the pairs soo that they would be a little bit thinner to punch down. I'm hoping I can get att to rewire and condo association to pick up the tab, I'll even supply cat 5e in plenum if need be, as I have plenty off it, even though you guys consider it a waste or overkill for that purpose. I will definitely punch down the second pair into jack during this project.

I might be wrong but I think the jacket is what mainly keeps it in place after the punch down.

Yeah, insulation is fairly important in holding the wire in place when you use an Insulation Displacement Connector. Stripping the insulation off so you can terminate is a bad idea.

My advice would be to use (no surprise here) a screw terminal jack.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
You must be related to my wife. She asks my advice as to what she should do, I tell her the answer, and she says she doesn't want to do it that way.
:thumb:

there seems to be a lot of that here recently ....

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Cepega a faceplate with screw type terminals is the best product here. Not sure why you want to use a punch down jack so badly??? A screw on terminal will function just as well and will not require any goofy and rigged up looking splices just to accomodate a punch down jack of some kind. I doubt anyone here who hoes this for a living would resort to splicing a peice of cable instead of using a faceplate with terminals. :shrug:

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It is actually very clearly stated in the BSP for 630 type jacks that they are not rated for use with JKT wire. You'd be wasting your time and resources in trying to avoid a screw-terminal jack. That is the only reliable means for terminating conductors in type JKT cable.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Admin
Admin
Stop it Ed! I didn't get issued a BSP. However, I do have both a GTE COEI and Station Installation manual. We had our own goofy jacks, wall plates, and handsets.

Carl

This model is end of life
I doubt anyone here who does this for a living would resort to splicing a piece of cable instead of using a faceplate with terminals.
The only time we do that is when the wire is the wrong type, or can't be re-run, or is too short, AND we need to use a keystone jack with IDC.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
Verizon Acquiring Frontier Communications?
by dexman - 09/04/24 10:04 PM
OS 7030
by Bushmills - 09/03/24 12:42 PM
Barbed Wire telephone network
by Toner - 09/01/24 10:24 AM
Upgrade to UBB 8.0.0
by Toner - 08/31/24 04:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,387
Posts639,267
Members49,800
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
irjeffb, ALEXKINGTHESUN, Will4445, Polaris2024, Tech423
49,800 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
Seth W 8
dexman 6
teleco 6
pvj 6
Yoda 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 212 guests, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024