Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#143161 05/04/09 05:51 AM
Nortel Norstar Plus 6.1 system.

Customer claims auxiliary bells rang in warehouse at night and on weekends. Bells stopped ringing after analog trunks were replaced w/ ISDN PRI (?) 2 years ago. I found the bells, traced IW to yanked out wire. So, now I go to hook up the bell wiring to the system.

The manual shows lug 25 of the system's 66 block as the bell contact. I found the paging connected to lugs 40 & 41 and music on hold connected to lug 42; Nothing was connected to lug 25, so it threw me off. In day mode, my butt set DID NOT ring on incoming calls while across lug 25.

Question 1) Is lug 25 the right nite bell contact?

Question 2) Is ringing current for the bell supplied by the Nortel or the trunk? If it's a PRI line, then obviously there's no ringing current from the trunk, so either the PBX will need to supply it OR there's a Viking product of some sort to interface between the PBX bell contact and the bell to supply ringing current. I wasn't sure if the contact was simply an open/close type contact or not. If it is, I'll need battery.

Thasnks for your thoughts on this.

Danny

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

#143162 05/04/09 06:01 AM
1-The auxiliary ringer uses pin pins 44,19( pair 19. 2-It is just a control contact to operate an
auxiliary ringer.

#143163 05/04/09 06:18 AM
Some bells can be activated via a contact closure like the Norstar is providing. If your bells require ring current you can either install an ATA on a digital station port and do the required programming in ringing services or install a ringing power supply and an external relay (You must use an external relay since the Norstar contacts are not rated for ring voltage).

#143164 05/04/09 06:20 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's on the yellow-brown (pair 19)? That's weird.

So the contact just opens and closes? I'm wondering if it will react to an incoming call from a digital ISDN line? If the contact triggers, then I'll need some sort of ringing current. I saw Viking had a box that connected into their paging controller over loudspeaskers but haven't seen anything supplying ringing current.

Anyone have any ideas?

#143165 05/04/09 06:49 AM
You set the contact closure for each line under line programming, under AUX RINGER. Viking model PS-48-RGA will give you ring voltage plus 48vDC to power the external relay. If you have not wired one of these before you are better off going the ATA route, the cost is about the same and it is a much easier install.

#143166 05/04/09 10:33 AM
Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
Danny: Welcome to the Boards. welcome
Unless I missed it somewhere, I did not read whether you had a MICS or a CICS.
Although if it has a PRI it must be MICS.
MICS - pair 19 Yellow/Brown off the 2nd Station Calbe
CICS - pair 25 Violet/Slate off the station cable (Just FYI)

The ICS (either one) just has a contact closure.
The contact closes when the AUX ringer is told to ring. This can be via a phone or a phone line (you program it).

This closure is just a signal to your Nite Bell. It cannot supply Current to turn your nite bell on. It does not supply Ring current either.
Your nite bell has to be powered separately then this is just a signal usually closes a super lo current relay that will energize the higher voltage or current to ring your bell.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
New chat forum
by metelcom - 09/26/24 12:26 PM
CO assignment to station key
by SamL - 09/20/24 09:05 AM
SV9100 Yesterday's technology today...
by Carl Navarro - 09/19/24 08:29 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,402
Posts639,370
Members49,808
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
DavidMirror, Si-14 LLC, SamL, xsh74, LukeE.
49,808 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 16
dexman 10
pvj 5
R4+Z 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 213 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024