Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#22766 08/15/09 07:00 AM
I doubt it as it seems it's only the DTMF that doesn't work, but wouldn't hurt to check everything.

Retired phone dude
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#22767 08/17/09 06:02 AM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Note on trunks: Analog trunks with marginal levels are rare. Trunk traffic is heavier than CO lines and cost more because of it. TelCos are supposed to test them with more than just a butt-set. Unlike CO Lines, Telcos deliver trunks at the best possible quality - or at least they used to. If you ever had a CO line audio problem that wasn't fixed because the TelCo said it was within specs, the old solution was to request an upgrade to trunks.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#22768 08/17/09 09:38 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Dave -

Once upon a time in a kingdom by the sea.....

I ran the communications network for one of the largest banks in the USA. I had problems with subscribers at the largest node dialing 9 and getting reorder tone. The OGTs were GS Analog and we had about 200 of them.

The switch was a GTD-4600 (CO network) running as a CU Centrex, Telco was NY Tel and a #1ESS.

Check the trunks at the demarc with a butt set and get DT. Decipher the error messages from the switch and it turns out that the Bell System Blue Book stated that a CO had to deliver DT on a GS request in 250 ms. The GTE switch was waiting 350 ms, not getting DT, trying a 2nd trunk, not getting DT and delivering ROT.

To cut a long story short, we did not have GSTs. We had GSLs - Ground Start Lines. Why not? We had ordered Trunks. We had paid for Trunks. Who changed the order? Eventually it turned out that NO ONE IN NYC HAD GS TRUNKS. They were "too expensive" to provide.

When you ordered a GS Trunk, they gave you ground start, but with a LINE side connection. Someplace along the way they had changed the tariff to price GSLs and GSTs identically.

If you wanted a true Trunk connection you had to get it on a T-1 and it was priced significantly higher. We couldn't even do that because the #1 ESS didn't offer integrated T-1s.

When traffic was heavy in the switch (140 West Street) then DT was delayed on the line side - usually by 1/2 a second or even more. Not so you'd really notice it with a butt set - but sure enough for our network to flag it as a problem.

I was researching instituting a Class Action Law Suit when the SVP of Telecom at the Bank called me in and told me to "cease and desist, forthwith".

The Chairman of the Board of NY Tel sat on the Board of Directors at the Bank.

We put up with it.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#22769 08/17/09 11:01 AM
Sam -
I'm sorry if we have wandered a little off the main topic but Wow! I'm speechless. You have the greatest stories! I'm going to assume that NY Tel simply continued charging for GSTs.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#22770 08/17/09 11:44 AM
Sam is correct about the complicated incestuous politics of telephony in NYC back in the 1970's and 80's.

I worked as a repairman at Columbia University during the early 1970's. The president of NYTelCo sat on the University's Board of Directors. The President of Columbia University sat on the Board of Directors of NYTelCo. Most rich and influential guys in NYC sit on each others' boards. It's just a way of life, and Sam and I and countless others learned the hard way that the golf course or the yacht club is a great place to get things fixed.

When there was a problem with the phone service at the school, the complaint came in to the chief repairman, was dispatched to one of the other repairmen, and then, if the trouble was not cleared in a timely manner, it was escalated to the "next" step, the TelCo president's office. The complaint skipped about twelve levels.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#22771 08/17/09 11:58 AM
As a duly appointed student employee of a public university, I know exactly what you mean smile
Influence is everything.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#22772 08/17/09 03:49 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by MNDAVE:
I'm going to assume that NY Tel simply continued charging for GSTs.
Yup. And to the best of my knowledge they still are. And are still delivering GSLs.

Our situation was compounded by the fact that when the Bank ordered their network switching equipment from GTE they first checked with NY Tel to see if T-1 trunking was available. NY Tel said not for the OGTs, but certainly for the DIDs. We installed the switches and waited for the Telco install.

It never came. Turns out that, Woops! #1ESS switches didn't offer direct T-1 access. Being as the Bank had already ordered, paid for and taken delivery of Digital Trunk Frames NY Tel finally (under threats - probably from their president) delivered 192 DIDs on T-1.

They ran the analog DIDs in the CO into a bunch of channel banks and pumped the T's out to us on the site. Try to imagine trouble shooting . The switch saw the trunks as analog. Transmission saw the trunks as digital. If the whole T went out the switch said: "What?". If an individual trunk went out Transmission said: "What?"

Usually what we heard was Ed's favorite:

MBSWWYP

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#22773 08/18/09 04:31 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Found out about timing on GS trunks the hard way. Working out of a slic hut to a TIE Data Star with the cards set for GST. Almost never got dial tone with the switch. Butt set worked fine. Sorta the same problem. Just that AT&T slics couldn't meet specs. Reliance slics could, according to TIE. Dialog w/SWB went nowhere, they wouldn't buy them and wouldn't even install them if we supplied them! So we went to L/S. Fortunately, we actually got reliable disconnect! John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
New chat forum
by metelcom - 09/26/24 12:26 PM
CO assignment to station key
by SamL - 09/20/24 09:05 AM
SV9100 Yesterday's technology today...
by Carl Navarro - 09/19/24 08:29 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,402
Posts639,361
Members49,808
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
DavidMirror, Si-14 LLC, SamL, xsh74, LukeE.
49,808 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 9
teleco 5
pvj 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (SamL), 424 guests, and 439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024