atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Rick426 voip and router - 09/25/09 09:14 PM
Good day
I just cant figure this out. I have a phone system (BCM) and a laptop with i2050 loaded on it. When I use the softphone on the same network that the phone system is on it works great. When I use it on another network I only get one way talk path. With the router that the phone system is on I have created a vpn with the basic settings. On the laptop I have created a software connection with password to my network at home. The VPN works good I can connect from anywhere and I can ping the ip of the phone system only I have to problem with the one way talk path. I would assume that becase it works when Im on the same network that the router settings are ok. It must be the way I have set up the vpn only I don't know what to look for Its a linksys router with DD-WRT on it. Anyone have any suggestions
Thanks
Rik
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: voip and router - 09/25/09 09:46 PM
If your audio is not getting through then your UDP traffic is being blocked.
Posted By: Rick426 Re: voip and router - 09/27/09 08:16 PM
The audio works both ways when I using the laptop on the same network its only when I use the VPN function when Im somewhere else. Is that where the UDP comes in only when Im using the VPN
Thanks
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: voip and router - 09/27/09 08:19 PM
The router/firewall is blocking your UDP audio. That is not in the equation when are on the same network.
Posted By: gcave Re: voip and router - 09/30/09 05:00 AM
On your router setup a 1-to-1 NAT (sometimes called DMZ). The RTP stream is coming from the outside to the inside, it needs a way to get from the PAT address to the inside. The DMZ setting should fix this. I was unable to get this to work by forwarding a range of ports.
Posted By: Rick426 Re: voip and router - 09/30/09 06:04 PM
Thanks Rather Be Fishing Not exactly sure where the UDP setting is so I disabled the router's firewall and still no luck. Any other suggestions

Gcave
I have being told that its not a good idea to use DMZ as all ports are open to the internet. But I tried it anyway Under DMZ there is only one setting that is to input the IP of the DMZ host and that I assume is the ip of the phone system but when I did that I was not able to establish a VPN connection using the laptop on an external network
Posted By: Majestic Re: voip and router - 10/01/09 01:10 PM
Does this help? Found it on Cisco's website:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps1860/products_tech_note09186a0080094ed1.shtml

One-way Audio on a VPN Connection from SoftPhone

When you configure a SoftPhone to connect through a VPN, it is important for Cisco CallManager to receive correct information about the IP address the SoftPhone uses. By default, the Cisco IP SoftPhone uses its physical network address to register with Cisco CallManager rather than with the VPN address. Cisco CallManager instructs other IP phones to send to this address. The result is a one-way voice since the IP phones are able to reach the VPN address of the PC and not the physical interface of the PC.
Posted By: Rick426 Re: voip and router - 10/01/09 08:57 PM
Thanks Majestic it was a good read but Im not using callManager or Cisco's soft phone Im using nortel products.
I did notice something when I log on remotely my network gives me the proper ip eg 192.168.1.40 but the subnet is 255.255.255.255 should it not be the same subnet as the network that is giving me the ip that is 255.255.255.0 could that be the problem
Thanks
Posted By: Majestic Re: voip and router - 10/02/09 06:38 AM
My guess is your VPN client is not using the remote gateway and is instead using your local one. Can you please confirm the direction the one way path is working? From the office to you or from you to the office?

My guess is it's from the office to you if my suspicion about the gateway is correct.
Posted By: Rick426 Re: voip and router - 10/02/09 10:25 AM
Tried it today and I have no voice at all. I can intercom or grab an outside line but no sound
There has to be something stupid that Im doing. Its got to be easier then this
Thanks
Rick
Posted By: Rick426 Re: voip and router - 10/06/09 05:35 AM
I think this is the problem? When I log in from my laptop using the vpn the network that Im logging into gives me the right IP but the subnet is wrong it should be 255.0 but its giving me 255.255 Any ideas
Thanks
Posted By: Steve Brower Re: voip and router - 10/06/09 06:54 AM
I think that 255.255.255.255 subnet is by design. I believe it has to do with security as the last octet indicates a connection between two IPs, not an entire subnet. I don't think that's the issue, though you should be able to change that in the host router's DHCP configuration.

I'm with Majestic in thinking it's a routing issue, though RBF certainly has a valid point as the appropriate protocol traffic needs to be allowed. Can you ping from your VPN Client to another phone on the system? If not, what results do you get if you issue a pathping command?

When you say you can intercom, I'm not sure what that means in your scenario.
Posted By: Rick426 Re: voip and router - 10/06/09 09:17 AM
I can ping the phone system thats on the network through the bcm I can call another extension on the phone system but there is no voice either way. There is no other ip phones on the system so I cant ping them but I can ping the phone system or any computer on that network. Just can figure out y there is no voice traffic either way
Posted By: Majestic Re: voip and router - 10/07/09 06:04 AM
Maybe the phone system has a different default gateway? The fact you can ping the system is a good sign but what's happening to RTP. I would put wireshark on your PC and see if a capture can tell you what's happening. I'd also imagine that log files on the PBX could tell you something since the SIP messages appear to be making it through but RTP is broken somehow.
Posted By: leejor Re: voip and router - 12/24/09 01:27 PM
Since you are using VPN then It might be a port forwarding issue at the "home" end. I've use VoIP over VPN (DD-WRT)to my home VoIP PBX with success on many hotspots when all other methods fail. If you weren't running VPN then I would say it might be a STUN server, or lack of , issue.
Posted By: Rick426 Re: voip and router - 12/29/09 05:21 AM
Thanks Leejor for the reply but the problem is solved with another router that is not running 3rd party firmware. I purchased a linksys RV042 and it works great
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help