atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Korak Strata CIX Password - 04/08/08 09:11 AM
I took on some of the phone system here at work to help with money problems. I logged on a few weeks back to change some extensions and the time, but now today I cannot login. The Emanager software just says 'Login Failed'. I am assuming this means that the password is incorrect.

I don't recall changing it, but if I did then I know what I would have changed it to. The only thing that I can figure out is that I changed it and that the Strata CIX does not accept things like %, &, *,!, @, etc. as characters in the password. Either that or I changed it and somehow mistyped it when entering it (which I really doubt).

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do here or who I should contact?

Thanks.
Scott
Posted By: mj_wald Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/08/08 11:07 AM
When you log into E-Manager you are not yet communicating with the phone system, you are still on your local machine only.

Has anything changed or been upgraded on your PC since the last time you logged in?

If you have truly lost the password, I think you will need to reinstall E-Manager.

Are you using the administrator account when logging into E-Manager, If NOT your vendor may be able to log in that way and change your password.
Posted By: Korak Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/08/08 12:20 PM
Nothing as far as hardware has been upgraded and I don't think that I have added anything as far as software either.

I un-installed and reinstalled Strata eManager, but I still cannot login.

I am using the Administrator account. That was the only one that I knew of.

I will un-install and re-install one more time. If this is just logging into the system and does not have anything to do with the phone system yet, then I have no idea what is wrong. I may install it on one of our other laptops and see what happens there.

Thanks for any info.
Scott
Posted By: Hardyj Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/08/08 01:18 PM
what was the password you used?
Posted By: phonemeister Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/08/08 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Hardyj:
what was the password you used?
Please do not ask for passwords. Welcome aboard, Hardyj, please take the time to read the forum rules.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/08/08 02:56 PM
Sounds as though the computer may not be on the same subnet as the CTX anymore.

You should try to connect the computer directly via x-over cable and see if you can log in there, as to take the network out of the troubleshooting entirely.
Posted By: Bearacuda Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/08/08 04:52 PM
You should use the default "XXXX", also make sure you don't have any browser toolbars it will give you problems logging on. Are you using IE7, because if you are you need the latest version of Emanager 5.01 A07. Are you running XP Pro or Vista? I've found XP Pro is much better. Let me know if this helps.
Posted By: Korak Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/09/08 05:40 AM
I used the correct password and I don't have any toolbars. EManager opens up Firefox since it is my default browser. This should not be the problem though since it worked about 3 weeks ago. This is an XP pro machine.

I'll check the subnet, but I am pretty sure that I did not change that. Hopefully that is the problem since that would be an easy fix.

Scott
Posted By: Korak Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/09/08 06:23 AM
Also, I don't have IE7 and I am connecting directly with a crossover cable.

I cannot figure out what is wrong now. I reinstalled one more time. I am getting ready to try another laptop and see what happens there.

This error for sure has nothing to do with my password on the Strata CIX box? I just want to make sure that I am not trying to do a lot of things when it is a password problem on the box itself that somehow needs to be reset.

Thanks for all the replies.
Scott
Posted By: mj_wald Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/09/08 06:54 AM
I do not think it will work with firefox. try running with ie
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/09/08 08:57 AM
You're right mj, Firefox is a no go.

You must be using IE and no toolbars (especially Google, I've seen it do funky things to eManager).

Also turn off any anti-virus and firewall programs completely.
Posted By: phonemeister Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/09/08 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Bearacuda:
You should use the default "XXXXXX"
Please do not post passwords.
Posted By: Korak Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/09/08 01:18 PM
Well switched to IE, made sure there was no toolbar, checked to make sure the firewall was off and this computer has not virus protection

I cannot figure out what could have happened since I used it last. I don't think that I have even used this laptop except for one remore session since I logged onto the phone system last.

Also this is version Emanager 5.01 A07. I set the system to use IE as the default, uninstalled, removed all temporary files, cleared the cache, restarted the computer and resinstalled again and I am still getting the same thing.

I don't see how it could be a wrong password since it actually asks for the password during the setup and I made sure to type it slowly so that I knew what I typed. It also has to verify the password so that means I had to type it twice. With allof that there is no way that I could be typing it wrong.

I can ping the phone box also, so I know the connection is still good, but from the first comment that should not matter yet since it is a local login at first.

Thanks for any other info.
Scott
Posted By: OzTech Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/09/08 06:38 PM
As several people have already said, if you can't get past the username password bit, it is definately a software problem. eManager is a notoriously buggy program, especially with reinstalls and the like. The latest version support IE7 and most versions of vista (but not all), but doesn't seem to like windows XP sp3, but is happy with sp2.

Also keep in mind that the username and password are both case sensitive. I presume people have PM'd the default username and password (which is what you will have to use if you have a fresh install), take note of the case they are using for both.
Posted By: newtecky Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/09/08 10:53 PM
Just 1 point:

The password you use to log into emanager is NOT the same password you typed in during the install.

That password you typed in slowly, will never have to be typed in again. It is used to create a Windows user account for eManager.

Use the default User/Password. If no one PM'd you by now, it's in the manual. Press F1 in emanager.
Posted By: Korak Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/10/08 05:42 AM
I have not been PMd, but I do have the manual and was using that username and password. I did not know that the username was case sensitive though. I will try with both a small 'a' and a capitol 'A' and see if that works. I have tried both, but I may not have on the last reinstall.

Thanks again.
Scott
Posted By: Korak Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/10/08 08:31 AM
Thanks. I guess I finally got the right combination of case and got logged in. Now I don't get the screen that I use to though. I use to get the main screen that had the advanced configuration and such, but now I don't get that far.

I assume that the resinstall did away with some settings. Now I wish that I had not reinstalled. I have a feeling that the main problem was that we had set IE as the default browser when we set this up and then it got switched back to Firefox. If I had just switched back to IE in the first place then I probably would have been good to go.

I went into the Equipment Editor and gave the CIX/CTX an IP and named it school. I then went to Select Equipment and then to Strata CIX/CTX Network and School, but underneath that is CIX/CTX which is greyed out. I went ahead and highlighted 'School' and clicked connect, but I get the following:

VBScript
Failed to connect to CIX/CTX 192.168.254.253
ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_CALL_AGENT

VBScript
CIX/CTX device cannot be connected.

Is there something else that I need to set up? I must be missing something, but from the manual it looks like I have done what I need to. I have also tried to set the subnet mask to both 255.255.0.0 and 255.255.255.0 to make sure that is not causing some problems, but neither worked.

Thanks.
Scott
Posted By: sph Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/10/08 08:42 AM
In Equipment Editor, make sure that you have entered the correct text for "Community". The default text can be found in the CIX manual. Without it, the CIX will not accept the connection.
Posted By: Korak Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/10/08 08:57 AM
Thanks. That took care of it. I had just missed that when reading the manual. Looks like I am good to go. All this so I could correct a mispelled name and set the time (which I already did when I found out I could do it from a phone), but at least I am good to go for next time.

I will say that this looks pretty insecure. It looks like anyone could actually get the software and manual and just walk up and plug into our system and mess with it if they wanted. I would have thought that the system would need to be authenticated against also to gain access.

Thanks for all the help. This board is wonderful.
Scott
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/10/08 02:50 PM
If somebody has access to your communications room and phone system without you knowing about it, then the security lapse isn't in the phone system.
Posted By: OzTech Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/10/08 03:31 PM
The default community can easily be changed. That is like the system password. Like most systems, it is up to the installer if they wish to change default password and the like. It just depends how competative the market is, but msotly it is to much hassel than it is worth.
Posted By: Korak Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/11/08 05:42 AM
Originally posted by MacOSX:
If somebody has access to your communications room and phone system without you knowing about it, then the security lapse isn't in the phone system.
Well, considering this is a K-12 school and the phone system sits in the back of the classroom, there is not much I can do about that. smile

Thanks again.
Scott
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/11/08 07:01 AM
There is plenty you can do about it.

1. Cover it (i.e. - frame a wall, or box around it) and put it under lock and key.

2. Change the "Community name" to something else (that's what all the Lowes stores do... not a single one of them is the default).

3. Change the IP address.

4. Change the password on the phones, so programming mode on the phones is restricted (because even with the IP and CN changed, you could still access programming via phones).

My point is not a "numbered list" of what to do, but that there are many steps that you yourself can take to make the communications environment more secure. Also, making the staff aware of security risks adds another layer of protection too. Let them know that no one should be near the phone system and to challenge anyone who may say they are working on the system.

Security should start with the people that operate in the work place everyday (i.e. Teachers, Administrators, etc. : in your case), having the knowledge of security risks and knowing they can alert you (or someone else) when they see a potential breech. It doesn't have to be ran like a military base... but just give someone the knowledge of what to look for and to be aware of what would normally be innocuous information and or actions and will be an asset to the many layers of security.

[/rant]

Sorry for the long winded response.
Posted By: Korak Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/11/08 10:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably do a bit of this. I hope to never have problems, but you never know.

As far as:

Security should start with the people that operate in the work place everyday (i.e. Teachers, Administrators, etc. : in your case), having the knowledge of security risks and knowing they can alert you (or someone else) when they see a potential breech.
Most that are here could care not less I am sure. I have warned them not to give their passwords out to anyone or post them where they can be seen. I can open about 70% of the deskdrawers or look under the keyboard and get their password. I even had one teacher to give their password out to some students one year so that they could enter grades in her grade book. This gave the students the priveledge of the student records program. I am not their dad so I just give up. If they want to do things like that then I'll let them. When all of the student records disappear one day, then I will say I told you so and take a long time to restore a backup. wink

Sorry for the rant and thanks again for all the info and suggestions.

Scott
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/11/08 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Korak:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably do a bit of this. I hope to never have problems, but you never know.

Most that are here could care not less I am sure. I have warned them not to give their passwords out to anyone or post them where they can be seen. I can open about 70% of the deskdrawers or look under the keyboard and get their password. I even had one teacher to give their password out to some students one year so that they could enter grades in her grade book. This gave the students the priveledge of the student records program. I am not their dad so I just give up. If they want to do things like that then I'll let them. When all of the student records disappear one day, then I will say I told you so and take a long time to restore a backup. wink

Sorry for the rant and thanks again for all the info and suggestions.

Scott
I understand that they could not care less, but in the situation you're in it seems as though, you'd be held liable for some "mishap/network breech" (which is bound to happen, from the sounds of it).

You must convince the higher ups that the employees have to take it as seriously as they do their own house door and or financial information. A teacher giving a student a password is completely and 100% UNACCEPTABLE, anywhere anytime!

I would bet a nickel that if tomorrow it's discovered that a student changed grades, the Sys Admin is the one that takes the fall, regardless of whose account/password was used. Instituting a mandatory security briefing/training and mandatory password changes is more of a cover your own butt measure.

Either way, it's up to you. I'm just trying to offer some experienced advice.

[/(yet another) rant]

smile
Posted By: duanelenander Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/06/09 11:43 AM
I am having a similar problem. I am using IE6. I am using eManager V5.10A05. I am aware that the username is case sensitive. The computer is on the same subnet and I can ping the phone system. I simply cannot login to emanager, which I am understanding means I have a software issue. I have IIS installed along with the management tools.

I have been trying to use the default username and password that I had when I received the system. I had to reinstall emanager and I am wondering if the username and password I had before is not the default. Can someone please PM me or email me the default username and password?
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Strata CIX Password - 04/08/09 06:06 AM
duanelenander , welcome to the board!

If you could start a new topic, instead of using an old post, that would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tony
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help