atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Burgie13 816 CO Problem - 01/28/10 12:23 AM
I ran into something weird this afternoon at a customer site. They have a 816 with 3 incoming lines. They use Charter for their phone service. The problem they are having started today. They make outbound calls on any of the three lines with no problem but when a call comes in the phones ring once and then the call is gone. If you pick up fast enough on the first ring you can sometimes answer the call. When test calling into the systems it sounds like the line goes back on hook and then disconnects. This is happening on all three lines. But every once in a while the call will ring two or three times but follows no pattern. I think it is a charter problem but the customer called charter and sent a tech out who said everything was fine on their end, of course. I am going by there tomorrow to try to fix it and was curious if anyone had any ideas.
Posted By: KLD Re: 816 CO Problem - 01/28/10 02:06 AM
You were right the first time....it is a Charter problem. You are not getting enough voltage from their modem.

I had a KXTA824 on a cable modem (TWC) that false rang, it was erratic output of the modem. Got TWC to change their modem....problem gone.

The key is you can call out but the ring is the problem. Sure, the modem test okay...because they have fluctuating load from the node.

My SWAG!!! :thumb:
Posted By: ictelco Re: 816 CO Problem - 01/28/10 11:59 AM
Here's another thought. Is it possible that "call forward variable" is enabled as a feature from Charter, and somehow it has been activated to somewhere? Here we would access each line and dial *73 do disable the forwarding. Might be worth a try just to take that variable out of the trouble shooting equation..
Posted By: Burgie13 Re: 816 CO Problem - 01/28/10 01:08 PM
I sent one of my techs down today to the customer site. After troubleshooting he found that the extension expansion card was shorting out the lines. He couldn't explain how it was doing it, but when the expansion was disconnected everything worked fine. When it was installed the problems returned. Have you ever heard of anything like this?
Posted By: peter doyle Re: 816 CO Problem - 01/28/10 04:28 PM
you could have a faulty extension which is set to ring remove all the ringing from the extensions on that module and try ringing then if it works add them back 1 by 1 ..dont forget to remove the annalog ringing also

peter
Posted By: Burgie13 Re: 816 CO Problem - 02/18/10 10:15 PM
We replaced the expansion card and everything worked fine for about a week. I got called back to the customer yesterday withe same problem. I moved line 2 off of the system and wired it directly to an analog phone. Today when the lines on the system started to act up the stand alone phone worked fine. I don't know what to try now other than throw the system in the parking lot and run over it with my truck!
Posted By: OBT Re: 816 CO Problem - 02/19/10 05:25 AM
it could be a slt port or a device connected on the system tripping the ring.as Peter said, when it is acting up ring all the extensions on the system and see if it will trip or make sure all unused slt ports are not set to ring. and any xdp not used are enabled and set to not ring

are there any bells/loud ringers on the system?
Posted By: MrGemini Re: 816 CO Problem - 02/19/10 06:39 AM
If you really think that it's the system then default it and re program it.
It's only an 8-16 with 3 lines, it shouldn't take that long.
---------------------------
MrG
Posted By: allcalcomm Re: 816 CO Problem - 02/20/10 05:33 AM
I had case like this , drove me crazy , after a long bout of trouble shooting , I found on one ext. mice had removed the insulation , but had not damaged the wire , when the phone rang it shorted , same as being answered on a sl phone , replaced the sta. cable , end of problem
Doug
Posted By: Burgie13 Re: 816 CO Problem - 02/21/10 09:02 PM
Originally posted by allcalcomm:
I had case like this , drove me crazy , after a long bout of trouble shooting , I found on one ext. mice had removed the insulation , but had not damaged the wire , when the phone rang it shorted , same as being answered on a sl phone , replaced the sta. cable , end of problem
Doug
That makes a lot of since since the the phone system worked fine when we removed the expansion card. It could most likely be one of the extensions on that card. I will check it out. Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: Burgie13 Re: 816 CO Problem - 04/29/10 08:23 PM
I forgot to reply to this after figuring out the problem. it was a bad cable going to the last extension on the expansion card. I pulled the cross connect off of the cable and the system has had no trouble since. Thanks for the help gentlemen.
Posted By: KLD Re: 816 CO Problem - 04/29/10 08:59 PM
Thanks for posting back to let us know what you found. This could be helpful for other techs!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help