atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: edg1 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/06/06 06:39 AM
Hello, We have an 848 that does not reliably display caller ID info. We have went though kxta tech support numerous times, plus our vendors and suppliers tech lines. We have swapped the entire system, caller id card had the telco company out numerous times also. still no caller id. it does display caller id on a generic caller id box. we do hear the fsk at 1st/2nd ring, grounds ok and loop current within spec. all ksu setting have been changed, fsk w/visual and so forth. funny thing is that sometimes it does display caller id info. we was thinking out of spec caller id info; but remember the generic box displays caller id info. go figure, any help or insight appreciated. thanks in adavance

Bill
Posted By: kmetech Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/07/06 05:01 AM
are these pots or voip lines?
Posted By: edg1 Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/07/06 07:15 AM
pots. demark runs straight copper to pbx. we are thinking that co lines are out of spec somehow? we changed(with kxta tech support) the caller id settings from one to the extreme, also we have replaced the hardware. the first round of hardware works perfectly fine offsite and on the test bench.
Posted By: brokeda Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/07/06 08:55 PM
Any other equipment also connected on the lines in question?? Home phones, alarms etc.??
Posted By: edg1 Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/08/06 04:23 PM
Nothing connected to any of the co - straight copper from the demark. demark is about 15' from the ksu. We have went over everything. a generic caller id box works ok. 848 does not work. We have tested and replaced all the equipment, ksu everything. pulled the ksu to the bare minimum with all handsets in froont of us. the ksu(s) work flawlessly offsite and on the bench. So we agree that it is a site issue. loop current, voltage on and off hook all check ok. have any of you ever had this problem? panasonic tech they have never had this issue before. we have went through 3 ksu, ext cards, handsets, vm (has been pulled during testing). I think we have covered everything. anything else you all can think of? thanks in advance.
Posted By: brokeda Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/08/06 07:30 PM
Is the AC outlet within spec? Proper ground on AC outlet. Try removing system ground.
This a house? RF interferance??
Posted By: edg1 Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/09/06 01:11 PM
yest the ac is within spec. we have remove the ground, checked polarity and used several different power conditioners and backups on the unit. we also tried a 1:1 isolator on the unit to break all ground and reference potentials. still no dice. thanks is advance for all your responces
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/09/06 02:34 PM
I had a similar problem at my new home a couple years ago- one brand CID worked, another was spotty (rarely worked). I finally got Bell out and the tech yanked the little pc card/test termination thingie out of the network interface- no problems since

-Joe
Posted By: anthonyh Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/09/06 03:51 PM
Originally posted by austintelecom:
I had a similar problem at my new home a couple years ago- one brand CID worked, another was spotty (rarely worked). I finally got Bell out and the tech yanked the little pc card/test termination thingie out of the network interface- no problems since

-Joe
Yep, they tend to do more harm then good.
Posted By: edg1 Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/09/06 05:05 PM
Hmmm, there is no pc card/test thingie ? only just the copper screw terminals. no led or diodes inline or in the circuit? We have a 18k phone system with no caller id. the client is patient, but we may just pull the system next week just to be rid of the problems. the cordless cell stations are cool, a non-working caller id system is not. like our client explained for 18k I think I should have caller id. AND WE AGREE.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/09/06 06:08 PM
Wow, a lot of ideas but many of them kind of make be chuckle. No system should be that sensitive.

I had this identical situation with my KX-TD1232 in my home and I have posted about this before.

My first question is: Are you using any, I mean ANY kind of CO line protectors? Even the ones incorporated into power surge strips?

Secondly, do you have "in-use" LED bridging clips on the CO lines?

The standard gas tube telco protection is not causing the problem and you shouldn't (legally can't) remove it. Their half-ringer test modules (if they exist) are nothing but a capacitor/resistor to simulate a real phone ringer on the line; that's not causing it either. If a traditional caller ID unit works, then stay away from the telco NID as an issue.

Panasonic systems are terribly sensitive to polarity issues when it comes to caller ID. Effectively, they won't process caller ID when behind solid-state protective devices. Somehow, and I am not going to even guess as to how or why, you can't use certain CO line protectors on their systems.

My case was the LED bridging clips. I just wanted to have an in-use CO line indication during troubleshooting. Replacing them with steel clips was the best thing I ever did. Panasonic had a technician ready to come here because they couldn't figure it out. This went on for a year and I found this out by accident.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/09/06 08:14 PM
Originally posted by ev607797:
Wow, a lot of ideas but many of them kind of make be chuckle. No system should be that sensitive.
...... Their half-ringer test modules (if they exist) are nothing but a capacitor/resistor to simulate a real phone ringer on the line; that's not causing it either. If a traditional caller ID unit works, then stay away from the telco NID as an issue.
Excuse me.
Chuckle all you wan't but in my case it *was* the problem. Please don't discount my suggestion. I am an experienced installer posting from personal experience. I was there. I watched the Telco tech yank it out. A Pano STD phone always worked, the Siemens 2.4 "system" didn't. Once the board was removed I had no problems.
Posted By: kmetech Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/10/06 11:10 AM
he's talking about the ren unit and I have
seen bad ones cause problems the joe has
described !!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 848 Caller ID Issues - 05/10/06 03:58 PM
Please forgive me Joe (AustinTelecom) for my comment about chuckling. Perhaps I should have used a different choice of words. It wasn't meant to be interpreted as an insult in any way.

What I was implying is that so many times, we all (pros or not) end up chasing our tails on issues that end up being caused by something as simple as a secondary protector. They might do great things when needed, but at other times, they cause ghostly issues that simply can't be explained. Telco half-ringer modules can fail, but usually when they do, they have a lot more of an impact, as in killing the line altogether.

In my post, I was just speaking from my own personal experience on my system at home. Three years later, I am still kicking myself for having missed something so obvious in the process of elimination. A three dollar LED caused months of troubleshooting and hours of wasted time from Panasonic's tech support. As I mentioned, they had a tech scheduled to drive here the very next day. To avoid embarassment and wasted time, I did one last "double check" and that's when I found it.

We are all friends in this forum and are here to help each other. Please be assured that I was just offering a suggestion, although perhaps in a not-so-tactful manner.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help