atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: tylan MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/08/13 05:54 PM
I came across a customer that has a T1 on their MICS with ver 4 software. They are looking to get switched over to a PRI. One vendor told them it was too risky and suggested a new system.

From what I've been told from my vendors they would need to upgrade to ver 7.1 software and then purchase the PRI Enabler code. The risk seems to be related to the System ID changing due to failing caps.

The system has a FastRAD attached.

They also have a StarTalk Flash, but I'm not sure of what model.

Is this too risky too attempt? It seems like a big job to reprogram after the software upgrade, but can't we use the FastRAD to backup/restore?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/08/13 06:10 PM
We had a customer with a MICS that crashed due to failed memory a few months back. Adding the PRI enabler code went remarkably well. The biggest issue that we had was the fact that the system had lost all programming and had to be redone from scratch. They weren't our existing customer and a database backup didn't exist, so it took a few visits to figure out how they had 75+ stations programmed.

I would suggest that if you have the ability to do so, get a backup of the system's database before you start. Once you have that, I think you'll be prepared to deal with any issues that may arise.
Posted By: tylan Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/08/13 06:19 PM
Will a backup of the version 4 software be able to be restored to version 7?

Posted By: Ken B Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/08/13 06:47 PM
No, the backup won't transfer - I would suggest that you purchase the upgrade tool which should maintain the database through the upgrade - I would still take a backup of the version 4 in case something goes wrong. If you're not familiar with the age of the system, you could also purchase a remanufactured release 2 software sleeve as well as a remanufactured main cabinet - checking that the reman company replaced the caps in both units.
Posted By: Curlycord Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/08/13 07:08 PM
I like to upgrade for large systems onll that are complex and phones spread out far and since you are at 4.0 you would need 2 tools.
This is what I would do...

-Purchase 7.1 software with Rls 2 NVRAM Cartridge
-Purchase Callpilot 100 (or 150)

-Spend 30 Minutes noting down programming
-Re-program the system from scratch to clean any glitches and old programming:
Power Down
Power Up
Do a system STARTUP
Go through motions, when states "Applying Template" pull the power.
Swap NVRAM and Software
Power up, wait then Program from scratch

You now have a new fresh platform.

Get system ID and generate PRI code
Program for PRI
Backup with RAD

As for CAPS it is good practice to replace them in your stock KSU's then simply swap with your client each time as needed.
Makes for a much faster cut-over as well...5 minutes vs a couple hours.

Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/08/13 09:47 PM
If it were me...I would try to sell them a new system. The 4.0 software probably means the system has been running for 12+ years.
Posted By: Curlycord Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/08/13 09:49 PM
They can run a lot longer than that too.
Posted By: tylan Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/08/13 10:26 PM
So, I don't really see why this would be risky. Ultimately, I know that I'm going to wipe config and start over. It doesn't seem risky, just a general pain and time consuming. Correct?

Why would they need a new call pilot if they have a startalk flash? Not compatible?
Posted By: MooreTel Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/08/13 10:49 PM
The flash should work, depending on the s/w. I wouldn't try & sell a system...well I'd offer it, but I wouldn't push it on them.

I'd tell them if they took a new system the actual downtime for them would be very minimal as I would take lots of notes and pre-program it on my bench beforehand...therefore minutes in downtime.
Posted By: Curlycord Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/09/13 12:51 AM
For the Flash you need 2.0 or 2.1

I mention Callpilot so that you then have the latest greatest of Norstar and be compatible at the same time.

Not a pain, just takes a little extra time in which you are paid for anyway.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/09/13 02:45 PM
It's not risky, as long as you can get PRI keycodes. What happens if the KSU dies a year for now, and you can no longer get a keycode? They still have to buy a new phone system.

Not saying that I wouldn't do it. But, I would give the customer the option for a new system and try to push them that way. While I agree that the Norstars were/are a work-horse, it's going to die one day.

How old is the system, and how many phones do they have on it?
You PRINT the keycode out and tape it to the KSU

You could use the same keycode with the same ksu if you initialized ten times.
Posted By: tylan Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/13/13 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie
You PRINT the keycode out and tape it to the KSU

You could use the same keycode with the same ksu if you initialized ten times.

Someone just told me about this 10x thing. So, its a fact that restarting it 10x gets you back to the original KSU System ID?
Posted By: Curlycord Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/13/13 04:40 PM
That applies for CICS (roughly 10 times), for MICS it will take many more....over 30 or even more.
Posted By: John807 Re: MICS PRI Enabler - Risky? - 11/19/13 10:50 PM
Wasn't 4.1 the first supported rls for Pri?
John 807
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help