atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: softwareguy Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 10:49 AM
I have a Norstar Startalk vm system, model NT8B72AB-93 Model A. We had a power outage for about 4 hours over the weekend, and now can't boot it back up. Phone system is working, but not the Startalk. Tried rebooting, then later tried rebooting holding down the reset switch for 10 -15 seconds. Nothing. When we try to program, it saysw "Feature Inactive" Anyone have any ideas. Much appreciated.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 11:12 AM
That Model "A" Startalk has some age on it---it appears, at first glance, that you may have a hard drive issue. Being a software guy, you may have to call someone in. A Nortel dealer can get you another hard drive, but it may be better for you to upgrade to a newer Flash, but that, of course, depends on the software version of your phone system.

I have, as a last resort, taken out the hard drives of Startalks and tried to "jump start" them---but most of the time (80%) it is in vain---the HD is just shot--either with a bad sector or corrupted data.

Get in touch with a Nortel dealer and ask him what he thinks. A regular Nortel mod will probably jump in here soon.
Posted By: Curlycord Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 11:21 AM
Well said or its the power supply, we find the power supplies hard to find as well the scuzzi hard drives.

First try F983, if syays "Password" then you lost all programming and need to start from scratch.

Cant say I recall a reset switch but do recall a red switch at the side to turn off then on again.

NAM vmail is another option as a replacement.
Posted By: Nickels Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 11:21 AM
It sounds like it went back to default....You will require the system more than likly to be reprogrammed. Power bumps cause this to happen all the time. To comply with the rules of this site, I am not able to provide these to you, in this post. Do you have a telco that provides service to your system. Are you really familiar with the programming in the Star Talk. Build the mailboxs, Auto Attendant, CCR tree.
Posted By: Nickels Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 11:23 AM
Try Feature 903 from the reception phone and if it says Password, your system is back to default....
Posted By: Curlycord Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 11:26 AM
F903 only for late version Flashtalk and is to except or change feature codes....would be F983 in this case.
Posted By: softwareguy Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 11:41 AM
Feature 983 just brings up "Inactive Feature"
Posted By: Nickels Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 12:05 PM
Your sure its not 903 Curly? Based on his above number, That looks like the old voicemails, that 903 was used in......
Posted By: Curlycord Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 12:38 PM
Yes positive....only on later verions on Startalk Flash, not StarTalk A or B which are the larger verions same size as KSU.

For every 10 Startalks we brought in for repair I would say 1 was PS, others were all hard drive issues.
We dont even repair them anymore as not worth it money wise these days.

What is your software version and make of phone system? presume make is 8X24?.
Posted By: telemarv Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 02:44 PM
You can try removing the feature codes and then rebooting.
Posted By: Nickels Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 03:24 PM
That is an original Star Talk......LOL.... It has been so long since I seen once of those...When someone posts a Star Talk... I just Assume they mean Star talk Flash.....LOL....

Softwareguy, what kind of phone system and software are you running?
Posted By: softwareguy Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/16/10 07:24 PM
I'm Norstar Meridien DR5 is the phone system. How do I check for the software?
Posted By: Curlycord Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/17/10 06:50 AM
DR5 is your software level.
For vmail:
F983 login and press 9
Posted By: softwareguy Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/17/10 02:02 PM
If I upgrade to a Startalk Flash vm system, can anyone tell me what model would be compatible with Norstar Startalk vm system, model NT8B72AB-93 Model A?
Posted By: telemarv Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/17/10 02:28 PM
How many users?
Posted By: softwareguy Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/22/10 10:13 AM
12 users.
Posted By: BTS01 Re: Nortel Startalk won't boot - 02/22/10 01:07 PM
Flash 2 (2x24)
Flash 4 (4x48)
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help