atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: EV607797 IP Phone on an SBX - 06/15/11 08:42 AM
We are having a devil of a time getting an Edge 8000 IP phone to connect to an SBX. The phone appears to be seen by the MFIM because the IP address of it shows up, but the phone won't come up. I can also ping the MFIM without any problems. Is there some magic to make this happen?
Posted By: Cactus Communications Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/15/11 08:51 AM
Are you programmming the phone as remote or Local? I had a similar issue where I came to find out that all phones are considered remote even though you are on the same LAN. Check the settings on the handset where you punch in the MFIM and other related data
Posted By: EV607797 Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/15/11 09:33 AM
It is set for remote. We've tried two other phones and the same thing occurs: "No response from MFIM". The KSU does see the local IP address of both phones though.
Posted By: Derrick Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/15/11 02:33 PM
Programming VOIP card settings from a digital keyset
1. Enter KSU programming from the digital attendant phone
2. Press PGM
3. Dial 103 (Logical Slot Assign)
4. Press Flex Button 2 (STA)
5. What to enter will depend on what cards are installed. If there are two CHB308 cards installed the
display will show 01 02 .. .. ..
Dial 01 02 99 to assign station ports to the VOIB.
5. Save
Assign IP Address to the VoIB.
1. Press PGM
2. Dial 340 (VoIB Attributes)
3. Press Flex Button 1 (IP ADDR)
4. Dial the IP Address (eg 192.168.1.10 Dial 192168010010)
5. Save
6. Press Flex Button 2 (Gateway ADDR) - Mandatory
7. Dial Default Gateway for VoIB (eg 192.168.1.1 Dial 192168001001)
8. Save
9. Press Flex Button 3 (Subnet Mask)
10. Dial Subnet Mask (eg 255.255.255.0 Dial 255255255000)
11. Save
VoIB Slot/Port Usage Assignment
1 Press PGM
2 Dial 380 (VoIB Slot Assignment)
3 Press Flex Button (VoIB Slot )
4 Dial 10 (Slot Number to Program)
5 Save
6 Press Flex button 2 (RSG/IP channel Assign)
7 Dial 10 (Slot Number)
8 Dial 4 (or number of channels to reserve for IP Phones)
9 Save

VoIB IP Station Assignment
1. Press PGM
2. Dial 381 (RSG/IP No Assign)
3. Press Flex Button 2
4. Dial the number of IP Stations you wish to program (eg 04)
5. Save
Reset the system and VoIP card.
Program IP Phone Attributes – The number of bins available to program will correspond to the number of IP
phones programmed in PGM 381.
1. Press PGM
2. Dial 386 (IP Phone Attrib)
3. Dial the Bin Number (eg 01 This would be the first IP Station)
4. Press Flex Button 1
5. Dial the MAC Address of the IP Phone
NOTE:
*=A, #=B, NAV Left=C, NAV Right=D, NAV Up=E, NAV Down=F
Save
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/15/11 03:28 PM
Did you just add the VoIP board? Can you see it in the cabinet view?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/15/11 09:03 PM
@Derrick: Thanks so much for the detailed information. I'm guessing that we may have missed one of those steps, so we'll definitely be confirming everything tomorrow.

@Dave: This was a completely new installation. The card is showing as present and in service. We get feedback from the phone's IP address, etc. as well.

Wow, IP phones used to be so easy to set up back in the day on the DVX+ and XTS.
Posted By: Z-man Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/15/11 11:57 PM
I just setup a bunch of 8000 series on an MBX. Piece of cake. They came right up. Of course you have to manually enter the IP addresses and such. Thanks to my buddy who told me a long time ago to buy a used hand held scanner.. So much easier to imput the MAC address that way!
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/16/11 04:25 AM
Did you follow Vertical's cheat sheet?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/16/11 07:16 AM
Larry, I didn't know such a thing existed.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/16/11 10:10 AM
Yepper, it's on V-connect: Remote IP7000 Phone Set Up (SBX_TT061608_IP7). I think there is also a copy in the Programming & Operations Guide.
Posted By: Derrick Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/16/11 01:22 PM
I think i had trouble the first time I set up IP phones on the XTS or maybe it was becasue I was using RSGMs, they were a pain.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/16/11 07:43 PM
I found it, Larry. Thanks for the suggestion. I just think that site is so overly-complicated that I purposely avoid it at all costs.

Derrick, I swear that I set up my first IP phone on our XTS with not one single issue. I doubt that I spent five minutes on it. As for the RSGMs, I feel your pain.
Posted By: Derrick Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 06/17/11 05:18 AM
The biggest issue with IP phones on the XTS (forget the RSGMS) is where the voip cards are located....I have learned to always keep them in the last slot, not the Voice Mail. It is a pain to create ip extensions only to have your voice mail ports change numbers on you.
Posted By: jctsphone Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 07/31/11 06:45 AM
So what is the suggested way to setup an actual "remote" IP Phone from say a home user? Should you setup a hardware VPN then setup the phone? Or can you just point the phone to a public IP Address which is directed toward the SBX? Also are there two LAN ports, i.e. Lan and WAN?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 07/31/11 07:31 AM
There's no need for a VPN; a static IP address for the card is all that is required. The optional IP card is used for IP phones and networking. The on-board LAN port is used for e-mail notification and programming.
Posted By: jctsphone Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 03/23/12 04:59 AM
I am trying to get a remote phone working, I have gone through and port forwarded all ports that are on the vconnect page, if I plug the phone into the internal network it works fine. If I go somewhere else and plug into their network I get no response from mfim[r]? Any suggestions? We want to set this up for our salesmen so they can have phones at home, but if they want to bring them into the office and work it will just work?
Posted By: Derrick Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 03/23/12 10:17 AM
You need to put the sbx in front of any router or firewall and give it
its own public ip address. Make sure the phones are set for DHCP.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 03/24/12 06:40 AM
Unless you're just doing it for a short term test, it is not good practice to put a phone system in front of the router/firewall. If you do, you will be opening every port on the system to the entire world. Plus, you will not be able to provide any QOS to the phone system.

I assume you changed the IP address of the phone to your WAN address?

You forwarded the ports to the VOIB IP address?

In PGM 340/341 you verified your gateway address and that the Firewall IP Address is set to your WAN IP?

For a test, try opening up ports 5060-20000 to the VOIB card, then see if it works.
Posted By: jctsphone Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 03/25/12 04:22 AM
5060 and 5061 are sip ports the IP phones use h323.
Also the phone system LAN card is behind the firewall, as well as the VOIB. I just cant see why you have to put the VOIB on a public IP because of mixed environments where you may have IP phones inside the network and remote users. You wouldn't want phones on your internal network going out over the public internet and looping back to your network.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 03/25/12 05:31 AM
Originally posted by jctsphone:
I just cant see why you have to put the VOIB on a public IP because of mixed environments where you may have IP phones inside the network and remote users.
How is the phone suppose to get to the VoIP card from the outside? Are you using a VPN?

I know 5060-5061 are SIP ports. The ports I gave you are the ones we open up for IPECS, which uses the same phones. I've never tried just opening up the ports that was suggested in the V-Connect document.
Posted By: jctsphone Re: IP Phone on an SBX - 03/25/12 09:16 AM
The phone would get to the internal address via the port forwarding from external IP. I will set those ports today and test it.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help