atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: emmitt2727 cisco question - 01/08/09 02:54 PM
I have a customer who has a 2811 router they are trying to configure for paging. They were told to hook paging system to fxo port on router. What they can't get an answer to is how to configure so pages goes over this port. It is only about 6 months old running call manager. I am not a cisco guy just a plain old telephone tech, but I told them I would see if I could help get some answers. Everytime they call the installer it is 350 whether they fix the issue or not. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Malthegreater Re: cisco question - 01/11/09 02:31 PM
What kind of paging system is this connecting to, and what would this paging system be expecting if it were on a more traditional piece of telecom equipment? Just an off-hook for a talk path or does it go into a system where you need to outpulse a few digits to open the page?
Posted By: LaneComm Re: cisco question - 01/11/09 02:43 PM
SIP paging or IP paging?
Posted By: gcave Re: cisco question - 01/11/09 04:22 PM
What I have done with these is to hook a Valcom V-9970 to an ATA and flip switch 8 on from the default setting. Assign the ATA port with a DN and just dial the DN. We have at least 50 of them installed.
Posted By: RonP Re: cisco question - 01/12/09 05:17 AM
I'm not sure whether this helps or not, but while taking my dad to the radiologist's office for a CAT scan and bone scan, I noticed they had a call manager on site, but they were still using an old Nortel key system for overhead paging. I guess my point is, can it even be done?
Posted By: emmitt2727 Re: cisco question - 01/12/09 08:37 AM
It is connecting to a valcom 2001 page control. I would assume ip paging, as it would happen over their internal network. It appears from the paperwork that it needs a co line position or a loop start trunk port.
Input impedance 600ohms
input level -10dbm nominal

When I hook this to a norstar system I just use the page tip and ring from the eq.

They have it working at the main facilty with a valcom 2009 controller, but they tell me the eq at this place is somehow different.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: gcave Re: cisco question - 01/12/09 07:17 PM
As I mentioned just hook this up to an ATA. You can even leave the 2001 in place and hook the 9970 to the music input on the 2001. It works great. Why someone would leave a MICS or CICS in for paging, obviously they didn't know how to interface it into Call Manager.
Posted By: www.telcom1.net Re: cisco question - 01/13/09 05:43 AM
I see it all the time, two phones on peoples desk one cisco and one of the old phone just for paging....

Hay Gcave Can the call manager page through the phones? I know the uc500 can, but have not got to work on a full call manager yet..

another question is can asterix page through the speaker on the phones?
Posted By: p2ii Re: cisco question - 01/14/09 06:14 AM
Originally posted by www.telcom1.net:
I see it all the time, two phones on peoples desk one cisco and one of the old phone just for paging....

Hay Gcave Can the call manager page through the phones? I know the uc500 can, but have not got to work on a full call manager yet..

another question is can asterix page through the speaker on the phones?
It can. It is really a phone brand specific feature though. Polycom phones and Aastra support it and I'm sure some others.
Posted By: www.telcom1.net Re: cisco question - 01/15/09 05:33 AM
P2ii do you know if you can page through cisco phones hooked up to astrix?

I have a customer that thinks they have a cisco system because they have cisco phones on their desks but it is really astrix...
Posted By: p2ii Re: cisco question - 01/15/09 08:37 AM
I don't believe the Cisco SIP image supports it but I could be wrong.
Posted By: dkritzberg Re: cisco question - 06/28/10 09:01 AM
The thing you have to remember about IP phones is everything has to be an IP packet. The only way that you can get paging through Cisco phones on a Cisco Call Manager is to have an application that provides a Multi-cast broadcast across the network such as Informacast, with the Relicast plug-in,(check out Singlewire.com). (Personally, I think Cisco screwed up on forcing you to use a 3rd party product for something as simple as paging but......)

As for paging through an FXO port, yes this does work. I don't have an example of what the script should look like at the moment, but I'll put one together & post it here later.
Posted By: Mr. Telephoneman Re: cisco question - 08/27/10 02:01 PM
First thing of being a telephone guy is to define the issue.

You did a paging.

But no one asked external/interal or both.

The call manager will do internal paging to all phones with easy config changes.

The followup post concerning inicast and multicast is applicable.

Unicast to IP phones is a single stream to each phone which causes overhead issues.
Because of this, ten phones is the limit.

Using multicast is a single stream to all phones with virtually a limitless number of supported phones in the paging group.

Therefore Multicast must be enabled and it can be complex. This is CCNP level stuff.

Too many unknowns to provide a clear answer.
Posted By: Mr. Telephoneman Re: cisco question - 08/28/10 05:54 AM
This is assuming CME.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help