atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: philtech06 Partner power down - 05/02/07 02:52 PM
I have a customer who wants to move his Partner system from one room to another. I have completed installing the new Cat 5 for the extensions and lines into the system. Is there any concerns in powering down the system and then back on? It's a small system with(2) 206 modules.
philtech06
Posted By: skip555 Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 02:57 PM
no problems , if its just two 206s the battery is probably shot and you will lose programing , but theres not much to program there anyway .
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 03:09 PM
I am with Skip, since there is a slight chance that the Partner may lose programming. Still, I can't imagine that there hasn't been a power outage recently which would also have wiped out the programming. Just keep it connected until the last minute and move it quickly. Plug it in as soon as you get to the other site, even if the system isn't even mounted on the wall yet.

I do have to ask: Why in Heaven's name would you run CAT5 cable runs for the lines and extensions? Even current-production systems don't require such an expensive type of wiring. This is like providing an 8-lane interstate to get up your driveway. It's quite a bit of overkill for that system. I am just asking.
Posted By: philtech06 Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 03:24 PM
Thanks for the replies Skip and Ed.
The customer ran the Cat 5 before I got there. All I have to do is put on the connectors and punch down. I will take Ed's advice and move quickly.
---------------------
Herlin Davis
HSD Telcomm
----------------------
Posted By: skip555 Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 03:32 PM
you can buy a small ups for less than 50.00

move the power cord quickly to that and your covered ,

should be behind a UPS anyway

do you have a manual if programming drops ?
Posted By: philtech06 Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 03:55 PM
I do have a small UPS.
No to the manual.
Also looking for basic training for this product.
Posted By: liquidvw Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 04:16 PM
https://support.avaya.com It is all there.
Posted By: vad60 Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 05:22 PM
Hi Ed,
I personally use CAT5E for all V+D runs because today the differance in prices between those two just almost nothing. Besides If I ever need to convert those to IP I have all covered.
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 05:31 PM
If the customer has a Partner, Partner II or Partner Plus system, they might want to consider upgrading to the Partner ACS.

One advantage of such an upgrade is that programming is protected by 2 user-replaceable "AAA" batteries as opposed to the internal batteries found on older processors.
Posted By: jacktel Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 07:43 PM
Was working in SpringGarden area today, can help if needed for reprogram.Have installed Partner Eq. for 20 Yrs.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner power down - 05/02/07 09:42 PM
I personally use CAT5E for all V+D runs because today the differance in prices between those two just almost nothing.

Vad, PLEASE check your facts before making a statement. The difference in cost between CAT5e and CAT3 plenum rated cable is 100%. We have discussed this here before. Even with riser the difference is significant unless you are using junk.

And personally, I'm also sick of the old "if somebody wants to add a computer" excuse. I'm not the computer guy, I'm the telephone guy and I couldn't care less about making some CGs job easier on my nickel.

And please stay on topic!

-Hal
Posted By: philtech06 Re: Partner power down - 05/03/07 04:54 AM
Thanks for all of the input. I will keep you in the loop. On my way to the job now.
Posted By: BOBCOMM Re: Partner power down - 05/03/07 06:03 AM
I'm in agreement with using CAT3 for voice runs. Besides the price difference on the cable, the install time for punching CAT3 onto 66 blocks is so much faster than having to deal with the tight twists on CAT5.
A little sidenote--I recently moved a Norstar CICS for a customer where the 'computer guy' prewired for the phones also. My mouth actually dropped open when I stepped into the equipment room. The customer wanted 12 sets connected (with really no more room in office to add more),but i picked up the bundle of cables and counted 65 CAT6 - yes- 65 CAT6 (in addition to 48 data )cables to terminate. When I asked the computer guy why he did this, his reply was "for the future". :bang:
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner power down - 05/03/07 07:51 AM
Besides the price difference on the cable, the install time for punching CAT3 onto 66 blocks is so much faster than having to deal with the tight twists on CAT5.

Getting off topic again but I guess this is where this thread is headed. We are actually considering putting a $10 surcharge on each CAT5 (and up) run when we have to terminate it for voice.

-Hal
Posted By: philtech06 Re: Partner power down - 05/03/07 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the help. I moved the system without a hitch. See you guys on the next post.
Herlin
:toothy:

-----------------
I'm gett'n too old for this....
Posted By: vad60 Re: Partner power down - 05/03/07 07:20 PM
Hal,
I respect your knowlage and your opinion, but I know what am talking about. I don't now how often you are using Plenum cable but I am not using it to much, mostly PVC. So I was talking about PVCs pricing not Plenum and, besides, I do care about computer guy and myself because every customer I am doing job for I intend to keep. Who knows what he would decide to do next week or next year.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner power down - 05/03/07 08:20 PM
Who knows what he would decide to do next week or next year.

My job is to sell and install telephone systems, we are not a wiring contractor. We will install wiring as necessary to make our telephones work. If the customer asks us we will also install data wiring, jacks and patch panels for whatever the computer requirement is at the time. Material and labor is expensive enough without providing for something that may never be used. I don't have a crystal ball and I'm not about to try and guess what the future will bring. If at some point additional wiring is required it can usually be installed with little difficulty.

I use Plenum rated cable almost exclusively because I do mostly commercial work. Nearly all commercial buildings require it due to the environmental air handling spaces the cable is run in.

Working in NY and NJ as you say you do, I can't believe you get away with using non-plenum cable unless all you do is residential- or maybe run it in pipe or surface raceway. NYC is even more strict than the surrounding areas in this respect.

If you know the codes and follow them the installation of wiring is not as simple as many think.

-Hal
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Partner power down - 05/03/07 08:37 PM
We haven't installed PVC cable regardless of building structure or local codes for over 5 years. Easier to stock one item and not worry about oversights. Hard to believe a major metropolitan area like NY, Chicago, LA etc. would still have a lot of PVC installs.
Posted By: vad60 Re: Partner power down - 05/03/07 09:02 PM
I do not do residentials too and yes I do piping and wires mouldings. And I know that requirments for Plenum only if you running cable in close inviroments like Drop ceilings or walls.
Posted By: vad60 Re: Partner power down - 05/03/07 09:07 PM
One other thing. Compare NYC to NJ you will be never ask to have a Permit in NYC except insurance and worker comp. In NJ everyone asking for permit and they have no clear understanding who needs that permit but its create lots of problems.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner power down - 05/04/07 07:54 AM
Compare NYC to NJ you will be never ask to have a Permit in NYC...

No, they don't bother to ask about permits in NYC just a Local 3 card. If you don't have one you are shown the elevator shaft. eek

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help