atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mweise Avaya IP403 Install - 09/13/06 03:42 PM
Hi gang,\
New guy on the forum here!! I am at my whits end. I enagaged the Avaya Distributor and Avaya Technical support and I am getting know where. Here is the deal, I recently did my first IP Office Install (403 software 3.1) and everything went great. The ONE problem know one can help me figure out is how come when dialing out you get busy signals maybe 30-40% of the time (on numbers that should NEVER ring busy). I have had folks review my configs, did traces and I am getting NADA on the help side. Can anyone here give me any assistance and/or give me any direction how to isolate the problem? I would owe you BIG TIME!! Thanks in advance for nay help!!
Mike
Posted By: glacier37 Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/13/06 04:03 PM
Are you using analog lines or a T-1? Either way, if you have trunks in the outgoing line group that are not actually in use it would cause a busy signal. So if you have a 4 port analog trunk card and are only using 3 ports, make sure the fourth one is in a different outgoing line group than the rest of the lines.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/13/06 04:32 PM
If you want to e-mail me a copy of your config,............I will take a look at it for you.

But like glacier37 said above it would be nice to have a little more info on the way your system is setup.

Are you using 1fb's,T-1 or other.
What type phones are you using?
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/13/06 04:46 PM
Originally posted by glacier37:
Are you using analog lines or a T-1? Either way, if you have trunks in the outgoing line group that are not actually in use it would cause a busy signal. So if you have a 4 port analog trunk card and are only using 3 ports, make sure the fourth one is in a different outgoing line group than the rest of the lines.
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/13/06 04:51 PM
Thanks for getting back with me so quick!! NO T-1's!! And we are using a 4 port analog trunk card with all ports being used. Can I email you a copy of the config?
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/13/06 04:52 PM
Originally posted by mdaniel:
If you want to e-mail me a copy of your config,............I will take a look at it for you.

But like glacier37 said above it would be nice to have a little more info on the way your system is setup.

Are you using 1fb's,T-1 or other.
What type phones are you using?
Yo,
I ma emailing you a copy of the config, using mainly 5402 and 5410 Avaya phones. Thanks man!!
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/13/06 05:40 PM
If you ran the basic set up from the software everything should have worked. This is not a fancy set up but shoud prove that everything is working. The only thing I can see wrong is that you have the voice mail configured wrong and did not run the basic set up for the voice mail also. After you get the basic set up going then upload your short code programing. One thing that I do remeber not all short programing can be uploaded on line and some programing that is critical needs a reboot.
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/14/06 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Station Specialties:
If you ran the basic set up from the software everything should have worked. This is not a fancy set up but shoud prove that everything is working. The only thing I can see wrong is that you have the voice mail configured wrong and did not run the basic set up for the voice mail also. After you get the basic set up going then upload your short code programing. One thing that I do remeber not all short programing can be uploaded on line and some programing that is critical needs a reboot.
Dude, you lost me? Can you clarify what you mean by "basic setup" from the software means? Thanks man!!
Mike
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/14/06 08:34 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention we are using TWO analog cards and have FIVE incoming analog lines.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: glacier37 Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/14/06 08:41 AM
Are the last three line ports that are not being used assigned to a different outgoing group ID? If not, the phones are randomly picking up all 8 ports and when they get a dead one it will ring busy after they dial.
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/14/06 08:48 AM
Are the last three line ports that are not being used assigned to a different outgoing group ID? If not, the phones are randomly picking up all 8 ports and when they get a dead one it will ring busy after they dial.
No they are NOT, I will try it out. So the last three lines should be in ONE group ID but different then the first two correct? We have five lines. For instance, lines 1 -2 group iD 0 and lines 3 -5 group ID 1?

Thanks
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/14/06 08:53 AM
Scratch my last reply, I see what you mean, NO the last three ports are NOT assigned to a different group, I will check it out and let you know.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: glacier37 Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/14/06 10:34 AM
Changing the last 3 to outgoing group ID 99 or something like that should fix the issue. Please post back with the results.
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/14/06 11:44 AM
Changing the last 3 to outgoing group ID 99 or something like that should fix the issue. Please post back with the results.
I changed the last three ports to line group ID 1. The first five are line group ID 0...it has been about three hours since the change and NO BUSY SIGNALS!!! Knock on wood that we don't get any more :-) Ya'll ROCK!! I REALLY APPRECIATE the help. Riddle me this batman, how can TWO levels of support at Catalyst (our distributor) and Avaya Technical support NOT catch something like this? I guess I know where to go for help now. If you guys ever need anything CALL.

Later,
Mike
Posted By: glacier37 Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/14/06 12:05 PM
We have had some issues with Catalyst tech support also. Thats how I found this board. laugh They seem to overlook the basics. I recognized the problem right away since I did the same thing on my first IPO install. :scratch:
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/18/06 11:59 AM
We have had some issues with Catalyst tech support also. Thats how I found this board. laugh They seem to overlook the basics. I recognized the problem right away since I did the same thing on my first IPO install. :scratch:
Update...deet da deet deet deet :-)

It has been 5 days, no busy signals.

Thanks for the help.
Mike
Posted By: ipofficeguy Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/18/06 12:03 PM
The "other" ways to keep the system from attempting to grab an unused line is to set
Under the line "Analog settings"

Trunk Type: Out of Service

and/or

Direction: Incoming
Posted By: mweise Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 09/18/06 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ipofficeguy:
The "other" ways to keep the system from attempting to grab an unused line is to set
Under the line "Analog settings"

Trunk Type: Out of Service

and/or

Direction: Incoming
GREAT inof, thank you. I have another question actually. We have the voice mail set to send a copy via email to the user, which it does just fine BUT it also generates an email that isn't addressed to anyone? It's like a duplicate email that isn't addressed. We are using Outlook Express. Any idea what causes that?

Thanks man!!
Posted By: mmastera Re: Avaya IP403 Install - 11/01/06 09:32 PM
Glad I ran across this post...I'm having the same problem and I understand the outgoing group id suggestion but I do have a couple related questions:

1) Can the outgoing group ID be the same number as the incoming? (ie can both be set to zero?)

2) I'm dealing with an IP403 Small Business with 4 integrated POTS ports labeled 1-4 on the back of the unit. In the Manager it shows lines 5,6,7,8. Do these correspond to analog ports 1-4? The difference in numbering is throwing me off. I think they do correspond since if I set 5,6,7,8 to out of service nothing works...

3) I have all 4 POTS lines hooked up and I have lines 5,6,7,8 in the Manager set with the same outgoing group ID (0). If all that sounds good what else should I be checking?

I'll double check all 4 lines for dial tone at the RJ11's in case the punchdown was bad on one or more of the lines...

Thanks for any replies, I really appreciate it.

Marty
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help