atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Paging Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 07:54 AM
I have a customer who we just reconfigured their 70v system to get them some better audio quality. I added a bogen DFT120 to eliminate their feedback problems. Now the customer wants me to help him with another problem they have. They use a Merlin system with a W/CKE5 processor and from the 408-GS-LS-ID-MLX they have a Lucent Page Pal. I took the output from the page pal to my DFT120. One of the techs at Bogen said I should remove the Page Pal and another said to leave it. Anyway the problem they are having is that while paging their phone switch will shut down and drop all of their phone calls. I am wondering if anything from the paging system could cause that to happen. Bad Phone? Page Pal? The customer is convinced it has something to do with the 70v system. He is not blaming me for anything we did we sucessfully reconfigured there audio system to take it from horrible to very good without adding equipment (Except the DFT120). I am just looking for someone to point me in the right direction of the problem. Their existing vendor claimed to have replaced the page pal device about a month ago. But it looks old if they replaced it was with a used device. I will appreciate any input.

Thanks
Posted By: paul144 Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 08:37 AM
You have an obvious short circuit somwhere.
I would start with verifying ground and wiring. Hopefully the vendor has a spare page-pal that they can swap in temporarily to rule out the page pal.
Good luck! Shorts like this are difficult and annoying to track down. It comes down to removing/replacing each piece of suspect equipment/wiring at a time.
On second thought, it is also possible that you have a power supply issue, but I would suspect a short first.

------------------
Avaya Telephone Repair
Toshiba Telephone Repair

[This message has been edited by paul144 (edited November 05, 2004).]
Posted By: Paging Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 08:51 AM
We suspect a short but the customer thinks it is a speaker and I think it is a phone or the page pal. The paging system basically has nothing to do with the phone system except to record the message. I do not think that the 600 ohm connection could cause the phone switch to shut down. The connection from the page pal to the DFT has been replaced. I believe the page pal could be removed completely and the DFT120 could get the audio output right from the 408-GS. But I tried to hook it up this way and could not get it to work. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: nectec Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 09:04 AM
I would try paging with the Bogen amplifier powered off just to see what happens. Of course you won't hear the page but hopefully the Merlin system will still show the same problems. This will rule out the paging amp. Is it possible that voltage is getting back into the 408 GS/LS module from the paging amp? You can check Avaya's website for information on the PagePac controller.
Posted By: cvrbob Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 11:38 AM
i would get rid of the page pal, program the line port for loudspeaker paging to the DFT120 to the amp
Posted By: paul144 Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 12:17 PM
I like nectec's idea. It will at least verify that it is not you equip causing this.
Posted By: Paging Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 12:21 PM
nectec The problem only happens a few times a day (I think it happened 4 times on Tuesday) I am not sure if it is possible for voltage to get back to the 408 GS/LS. From the 408 GS/LS there is a connection to the Page Pal then from the page pals 600 ohm output I have a connection to the DFT120 input(which is new) and then the DFT120 out goes to the 600 ohm Device which is connected to the 70v amps. I also have been unable to locate information on Avaya's website about the Page Pal device.

cvrbob I have tried to eliminate the page pal it will not activate the DFT120. Does it require changing the programming for this to happen?
Posted By: nectec Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 12:49 PM
Sorry I misread your post and thought you had a PagePac controller. I do have a 6 page pdf document on the PagePal. If you like I can e-mail it to you. If the Merlin is dropping all calls it must be something getting into the processor module. I had this problem on another key system which turned to out to be rf getting in the processor from a nearby transmitter. A couple ferrites on the ac cord and station cabling fixed this problem.
Posted By: Paging Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 12:58 PM
nectec-If you would email me that pdf I would be greatful. Also I would have never considered RF as a possible issue. I will investigate the area for RF devices.
Posted By: nectec Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 01:04 PM
will do
Posted By: jwooten Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 03:16 PM
Page Pal info, try this link!
Links too big. The info your looking can be found on avayas web site.

[This message has been edited by jwooten (edited November 05, 2004).]
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/05/04 06:04 PM
You need the page pal because you are using a trunk port from the Legend to interface. The page pal provides talk battery to the Legend, and the 600 ohm audio out to the paging equipment.
Posted By: cvrbob Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/10/04 09:51 AM
try this if you have a spare analog port on your system change it from a line port to a single line , change your page pal from ls to sa , then call your single line station to access paging , if your system keeps going down look somewhere at power or a bad module
Posted By: Rudy Re: Paging Output Problems - 11/11/04 03:01 PM
Maybe, when you pluged in the new equip ,the extra load is giving you a power sag. Do you have a U.P.S.
Posted By: junkman Re: Paging Output Problems - 12/01/04 06:55 PM
First thing I would try is disconnect everything from the switch. If the problem still happens, it's in the switch. If not, start connecting one device at a time until the problem shows up.
Posted By: KENB Re: Paging Output Problems - 12/01/04 07:40 PM
if this only happens a few times a day and assuming that they page frequently
and you go to the power to the legend .
is it a dedicated outlet or is it sharing
power with something that effects the power
like in the kitchen or being impacted by
coffee pots etc
or since we have a season change ,heaters by desks,sump pumps /fans /copy machines
you know the drill
is the customer tinkers and did they try to install any radio shack devices

[This message has been edited by KENB (edited December 01, 2004).]
Posted By: Paging Re: Paging Output Problems - 12/02/04 07:06 AM
Thank you for everyones help they put a good UPS on the system and the problems went away. So it was a power problem. Now I am having a looping issue with the DFT120. I called Bogen and they were little help. Something is causing the same message to be replayed over and over until the system is unpluged. Any ideas?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help