atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Curlycord Nortel - 07/20/09 09:11 AM
https://www2.nortel.com/go/news_detail.jsp?cat_id=-8055&oid=100259133&locale=en-US

Edited to correct the spelling of Nortel in the title.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Nortel - 07/20/09 10:31 AM
I sure wish I could understand what that means. They make no mention with regard to what their definition of "Enterprise Solutions" really means. Not to mention that the entire article is full of acronyms. So does this mean they are selling their division that makes the DMS, or is it the one that makes their phone systems? Or is it the one that makes their data gear? Or is it the one in joint ventures with other manufacturers, like LG?

Man, sometimes manufacturers complicate things like this with their reinvention of the English language. Maybe they are trying to confuse their shareholders?
Posted By: DigitelD Re: Nortel - 07/20/09 11:06 AM
My understanding is "Enterprise Solutions" includes the phone systems. I am not sure that this is a good thing. I am interested in what others say.
Posted By: dexman Re: Nortel - 07/20/09 11:20 AM
With Avaya having discontinued the Merlin Magix back in 2006, it will be interesting to see what happens to the Meridian.
Posted By: liquidvw Re: Nortel - 07/20/09 12:11 PM
https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32008712/
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Nortel - 07/20/09 01:43 PM
https://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5itEj5MObkGFkTMJaqaOO_XUZh3Aw
Posted By: dexman Re: Nortel - 07/20/09 04:49 PM
I guess Avaya is on solid enough ground that it could make the $475 million offer. Given that the company has been privately held for a few years, its financial situation isn't really known.
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: Nortel - 07/20/09 10:25 PM
With Avaya at the helm, I wonder if all Nortel manuals will now be publically available smile

I hear an awful lot about how well Nortel has executed IP telephony (BCM) and I wonder if Avaya has any interest in such intellectual property.

Lastly, with CIT being bailed out by their own bondholders, Avaya and "Avaya Financial" is beginning to look like a foreboding 20 foot wall of seawater destined to collapse on the undecided small-medium sized business space.

We continue to live in interesting times.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Nortel - 07/21/09 12:14 AM
I have some to add to this, since I got a pretty good explanation from my Nortel Sales Executive today. I'll try to jump back in and add what I learned. Stand by. It will likely be tomorrow before I post again.

Thanks!

Justin
Posted By: telemarv Re: Nortel - 07/21/09 05:10 AM
Well I am personally saddened by the news. I was srill holding out hope that the assets and brain power would stay in Canada.

This is a sad sad day.
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: Nortel - 07/21/09 06:24 AM
Enterprise networks/networking/solutions usually encompass gear for LAN, WAN and voice networks. . . . BUT this brief from Nortel specifically mentions CDMA and LTE Access which are wireless technologies. :shrug: Poorly written brief in my opinion too.
Posted By: tampasteve Re: Nortel - 07/21/09 06:43 AM
There are two briefs floating around online, both released close together from what I can tell. One deals with the Nokia-Siemens purchase of the wireless divisions and another dealing with the Avaya purchase of the Enterprise networks divisions....but as to exactly what enterprise networks comprises is not being said outright.

Steve
Posted By: telemarv Re: Nortel - 07/21/09 05:50 PM
RIM is in the news here trying to buy the Enterprise division and keep it in Canada.

News Release

I think it would be a great idea.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Nortel - 07/22/09 05:09 AM
Looks like another take over and beginning of the end for Nortel as we know it. AKA Mitel and inter-tel. Vertical and Comdial.
Posted By: DigitelD Re: Nortel - 07/22/09 05:44 AM
Telemarv, as an American I would like as much good business here. However, you are right.
Posted By: luv2ski Re: Nortel - 07/28/09 09:50 AM
She's gone

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB124810628070265557.html?mod=dist_smartbrief
Posted By: codasco704 Re: Nortel - 07/28/09 04:09 PM
So...predictions.....are we going to be seeing the "new" Avaya Norstar or Avaya Meridian systems appear.

Or are Nortel systems the new Rolm?
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Nortel - 07/28/09 05:53 PM
Let's keep the news forum, just that "news".
If you don't have facts or articles to back your post, then don't post it here in the "Telecom News" forum.

I hope you gals/guys understand.
Emotions and the love of your particular product could get out of hand in a hurry.

If you feel the need to talk predictions of the buy out, it should be discussed in the Installers or Pro Shop forums.

Thanks,
Posted By: BTS01 Re: Nortel - 07/29/09 07:55 AM
Based on the recent news on the wireless division, the Avaya bid for Enterprise might not be high enough?
Posted By: jmarc Re: Nortel - 07/29/09 02:29 PM
Avaya got a deal. Mitel bought Inter-Tel for $800 million.
Posted By: tampasteve Re: Nortel - 07/30/09 06:35 AM
Looks like the deal is not quite done yet; Siemens and Gores Group have formed another company that aims to get back in the deal:
Reuters story

Some Key points from the article:
A joint venture of private equity firm Gores Group and Germany's Siemens AG (SIEGn.DE) said on Wednesday it is pushing to submit a bid to acquire the enterprise solutions business of bankrupt Canadian telecom equipment maker Nortel Networks (NRTLQ.PK)
The venture is called Enterprise Networks Holdings
ENH has filed a limited objection to the proposed bidding procedures
It said the procedures have several provisions that not only give Avaya an unfair advantage
Any competing bids will have to exceed Avaya's offer.
In a separate court filing, Nortel creditor MatlinPatterson has also made a limited objection to the bidding process for Nortel's enterprise unit.
Steve
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Nortel - 07/30/09 09:29 AM
It said the procedures have several provisions that not only give Avaya an unfair advantage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any competing bids will have to exceed Avaya's offer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If that is the main unfair advantage, shades of "Atlas Shrugged". frown John C.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Nortel - 07/30/09 04:29 PM
What ever the outcome good bye Nortel. What a shame.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help