atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: anthonyh remote paging.. - 06/25/06 09:02 AM
I have a potetial customer who wants to be able to remotely access a paging system...he wants to be able to use the system at location "A" from his remote office in location "B". He has no key system at site "A" so it will be a stand alone system. ( no paging system in yet either)

I see Viking makes a remote access Device (RAD-1A) which I think will work. The viking catalog shows it connected to their model pa-2a paging amp.

Has anyone used this set up? or have suggestions for anything else that will allow me to acomplish this? My concern with the above set up is I am not sure if the 2 watts of power will be enough since the paging area is faily large and the horns will be mounted outdoors about 15' up.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: remote paging.. - 06/25/06 09:29 AM
did a little more research and looks like I can also use the viking cpa-7b which will give me a bit more power 6 watts....still open for sugestions and recomendations
Posted By: metelcom Re: remote paging.. - 06/25/06 12:27 PM
How are you planning on getting the signal from building B to A do you want to use an existing phone line, network, wireless or dedicated line? There are a few ways of doing this.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: remote paging.. - 06/25/06 02:49 PM
Well since I am puttingin a DVR they are having a dsl line put in, I was going to use the pots line from the DSL line. So exsisting pots line..it would be dedicated.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: remote paging.. - 06/25/06 03:30 PM
I have used a Valcom V-9940 page adapter. Hook up the C.O. line and the amplifier to it and away you go. I got two new V-9940s on e-bay about 2 or 3 years ago. Used them both.
Posted By: twisted pair Re: remote paging.. - 06/25/06 04:18 PM
I have a couple of systems out there like this. I used the Viking RAD-1A (the Valcom V-9940 will work too, I had stock on the RAD-1A) and Valcom powered paging speakers (V-1030C). I use this model a lot and although it is only rated at 5 watts, I have never had a situation to use the 15 watt version (V-1036C).

If you want the ability for talkback, add a Valcom V-9941A controller and two way talk back speakers (V-1048C). Works like a charm.

By the way, for paging systems, it's pretty rare for me to ever use an amplifier, unless one is already there. I use the Valcom powered speakers all the time. They are loud, clear, built-in volume control and you can power a bunch of them from one large 24 volt supply or use individual wall warts. The horns are weather proof too.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: remote paging.. - 06/25/06 06:29 PM
thanks for the input I will look into the Valcom as well. The self powered speakers sound like they will work great.
Posted By: metelcom Re: remote paging.. - 06/29/06 04:20 PM
theres also the Bogen TAM-B or the Viking PI-1
Posted By: EV607797 Re: remote paging.. - 06/29/06 04:33 PM
Anthony:

Yes, those suggestions are the way to go. I have only had trouble with them if the line is way far from the CO and there might be some humming. It's an easy fix though, just bridge one of those little capacitor/diode modules from a NID and it will absorb the hum.
Posted By: hbiss Re: remote paging.. - 06/29/06 06:24 PM
Strange that it should be coming from me but if they have a network link between the two buildings (DSL for the DVR) there are several manufacturers that have equipment that is made to put paging audio on the network also.

-Hal
Posted By: anthonyh Re: remote paging.. - 06/29/06 07:59 PM
thanks all for the suggestions, looks like the viking is the way I am going to go, the customer likes the idea of being able to call in from his cell phone as well....Ed distance is not an issue for this one, very close to the co..Thanks again
Posted By: twisted pair Re: remote paging.. - 06/29/06 08:20 PM
Merritt, both of those units won't work directly on a POTS line will they? I thought they were only for use on a phone system page or trunk port.
Posted By: hbiss Re: remote paging.. - 06/29/06 08:40 PM
I agree. The Viking RAD-1A will work with a POTS line. It has a 600 ohm unbalanced output which will work with any paging amp's line level unbalanced input.

-Hal
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: remote paging.. - 06/30/06 05:01 AM
It's been a long time since I've used one but if memory serves me correctly a 600 ohm 1:1 transfomer from Radio Shack will give you a balanced output if you need it.

Just wire in between the unbalanced output and the balanced input connections.
Posted By: metelcom Re: remote paging.. - 06/30/06 05:43 AM
https://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/telephonepagepdfs/TAMBs.pdf
https://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/telephonepagepdfs/TAMBm.pdf

The Bogen TAM-B will connect to a CO line and the Viking can if you do modifications with the ring relay The TAM gives many options for hook up
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help