atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: datatel SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/24/06 05:04 PM
IDS 648 with 3.0x09 software.
Fax machines through system on analog ports with DNIS through T1.
Every once in a while the sl port will die, no dt at all.
If I go to the port and assign a new extension # the port comes back and works fine.
Tried everything new sl card, new tri ps, moved cards to different slots, still ng.
If you take the corrupted extension and put it on a digital station port the phone comes up fine, back on the sl port DEAD.
Anybody know of any documented BUGS or a fix.
Rick
Posted By: TJMCAPS Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/24/06 06:13 PM
what else do you have on that Tri-power supply besides the SL board?
have you tried using an opxi instead?
TJ
Posted By: datatel Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/24/06 06:43 PM
Only things on tri ps is another sl card.
Too many faxes to start using those useless opxi boxes!!!!
Posted By: pvj Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/24/06 08:28 PM
Are you having trouble with 1 sli port or is this occuring to different ports?
Are there enough DTMF receivers?
Keys assigned properly to the sli ports?
Is the problem affecting inbound,outbound or both?
Posted By: tylerpd1 Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/24/06 08:39 PM
What card slot is the sli card in? I had something like this happen three weeks ago.
Posted By: Cos Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/26/06 02:43 PM
When you notice that the port goes dead - has it been off hook by the fax machine? In other words is the fax not disconnecting after a call and holding the line open, which will cause the IDS to eventually take the port out of service. What is the status of the ext. in the C-screen when you notice that the port is dead? Have you reset the port on the SLI card, before moving it?
Posted By: datatel Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/26/06 03:24 PM
The card is in cabinet 2 originally in last slot, then moved to third from last slot.
I have 15 fax machines in the system. It seems to happen on 5 machines. These five machines get the heaviest in and out traffic. They could work fine for up approximately three weeks, then the extension dies. No dt and no receiving. Reset on port does nothing, moving that extension to any sl port will kill the port. The only fix is to asssign a new extension number to the port until it dies again. three dtmf receivers between three cabinets.C screen shows nothing off hook.
Rick
Posted By: tylerpd1 Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/26/06 03:39 PM
Rick,
Please make sure that you do not have an 821 key on any of these ports. Go to H screen and L K 821
An IN/OUT key will get you every time. You may need to change the phone type in the A-K screen to 48k or DSS to view all of the available assignments. You may find that somehow this key is being toggled by someone who is not hitting the proper line access key when sending a fax. On another note, I've found that it's very helpful to add a dtmf/station combo card into the cabinet where you have any sli card. Some of the newer 12 port sli cards will accommodate a daughter board with (i think) four dtmf receivers. This will help lighten the load on the EVCM.

The 821 key is stupid, but these are the things that get us pulling our hair out.
If that doesn't work, I'll try to duplicate the problem here and fight with it.

Good luck,
tylerpd1
Posted By: datatel Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/26/06 05:23 PM
Tyler
The only things programmed on those stations is two LCR keys.
The SL cards in question do have piggyback cards on them.
The only thing I can think of is corrupt database. Handpack is something I would rather not do (300+ phones) if u know what I mean!!!!!!!
Thanks
Rick
Posted By: tylerpd1 Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/26/06 07:48 PM
Yes, handpacking sucks. I did one last week for a car service in the city. Gotta love those over-nighters.

I'll pm you with my cell number. This problem is very interesting to me.
Posted By: datatel Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/27/06 02:41 PM
Tyler
Just went in the system remotely no 821 key on any extension for faxes.
The other thing the sl ports go prime line to Lcr.
Could you sent your # again I misplaced it.
Thanks
Rick
Posted By: END Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/27/06 05:51 PM
After reading the above posts, the problem may be with a DTMF receiver. I would switch the SLT card (and DTMF board) that has the most lockups with a SLT card that has fewer calls. (Take a look at the extension reports in the reports menu)
Posted By: pvj Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/27/06 08:23 PM
It does sound like you've covered most of the hardware so a DTMF receiver is a possibility.
Doesn't explain why you have to change the extension number to make the sli port work again though.
When this problem occurs does it affect more than 1 sli port at a time?
Posted By: Frankiephones Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/28/06 04:34 AM
If you know level 9 password you can busy out dtmf receivers in the F screen
Posted By: datatel Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/28/06 04:59 AM
on occasion it has killed two sl ports at one time. I dont know if they go out exactly at the same time or minutes or hours apart.
Rick
Posted By: Frankiephones Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/28/06 05:09 AM
Hey Rick is it possible to just permanently change these ext #. If it is a data base issue that should take care of it
Posted By: datatel Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/28/06 05:16 AM
Frankie
What do you mean "permanently" change them?
Right now the fax numbers come in through DNIS on T1 then goes to assigned extension through the digits screen.
Rick
Posted By: pvj Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/28/06 06:55 AM
I think Frankiephones is suggesting that you change the sli port extension number to fix the problem.But reading what you have said this only works temporarily until the problem come back.I hate to say it but I really don't think a DTMF receiver can cause this and by the sounds of it you have changed the other hardware (tri output,sli card).I think you are dealing with a corrupt database and you know what that means frown
Posted By: TJMCAPS Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/28/06 04:19 PM
i never liked those tri-power supplies, always thought they were flaky. before you go about hand packing, why don't you try using one of those old 1A2 power supplies for the ring generator and a separate -48 volt (rated at 1 amp)(forgot manufacturers name, but you know who i mean)make sure you strap all the ground posts on the different power supplies together with the x-tone SPG.
the only other thought, wasn't there a tech alert put out for strange ringing problems whereas we had to ground the tip to eliminate the problem. With 15 fax lines,it's possible it could be a voltage problem, especially if there is heavy traffic. I'd investigate any solution before I would hand pack. i found half the time it didn't fix the actual problem.
Tj
Posted By: pvj Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/28/06 08:21 PM
TJMCAPS,
The problems he's describing are not a power supply issue.If he can't reuse an extension on an sli port but it works on a digital port then you are dealing with the database.
Posted By: TJMCAPS Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/28/06 09:51 PM
there is nothing definite on an executone system, i've seen too many weird things in field service to rule out any possibilities.
Tj
Posted By: TJMCAPS Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 02/28/06 10:11 PM
I only threw in that suggestion about power because there used to be a mind set in Ex-tone field service, that if it was weird then a hand pack was the answer.
Q: phone won't ring A:hand pack,
Q:station port won't answer. A: handpack
Q: speed dial don't work A: definite handpack.
It got to the point that Software Engineering stepped in and told them to stop. Too many people were complaining from the field that a lot of time was wasted handpacking (in some cases for days) only to find that the problem wasn't solved or wound up being a hardware issue. Just ask the executone techs who frequent this page, they can tell you.
You'll note that Rick is not mentioning anything about digital ports locking up, only single line ports. they have external power sources attached to them which the digital stations don't.
And once again it was only a suggestion, something that could be done quickly with very little effort before hours are wasted handpacking.
You want to get me started about weird Executone problems, talk to me sometime about Executone and ground problems.
Tj

Where's an ONEAC when you need one!
Posted By: Cos Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 03/01/06 05:43 AM
I am guessing that you have toggeled all the analog phone switches in the A screen - like analog phone and the SLI disconnect. Zeroed out all the timers and recalls. Set the hands free to no. Set the ring type to 2 (worked once for me). It sounds like the port is not disconnecting after a call. How about the Toll options in the options menu, any set to partial or all set to full, or maybe they are all set to no?
Posted By: pvj Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 03/01/06 06:14 AM
TJMCAPS,
I wasn't trying to pick on you at all.Just looking back and rereading the entire thread it seems like hardware has been ruled out and the fact that if he takes a "bad" sli port extension and puts it on a digital port it works ok.But if he puts it back on a sli port it won't work but a new,different extension number will.It is a weird problem to be sure and I admit I am guessing at a database error.I really hope that it gets resolved and we see what was causing it.
I understand what you are saying about field support as well,telling a tech to handpack a system was essentially telling them they didn't know and maybe didn't want to spend the time to figure out the real problem.Its an easy "fix" (for them)to tell someone to do that.
I'm sure that datatel appreciates all the responses and I truly hope he solves it.
Posted By: Frankiephones Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 03/01/06 11:29 AM
Thats why I suggest a permanent ext # change. I have avoided many hand pack situations by doing just that. That data associated with those ext #s is whats corrupt so just eliminate them!
Posted By: pvj Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 03/01/06 11:47 AM
"The only fix is to asssign a new extension number to the port until it dies again."

But what he said was that changing the extension number is a temporary fix until it happens again.
The problem doesn't go away permanently with an extension change.
Posted By: Frankiephones Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 03/01/06 02:10 PM
"Where's an ONEAC when you need one!"

Tj I knew that was you from ONEAC
Posted By: END Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 03/01/06 09:17 PM
Datatel,

If you think the problem is in the software, change the DNIS route.
(If DNIS 300 goes to X-3300 then move to X-3400, also move DNIS 400 with X- 3300)
Make sure X-3400 is an existing SLT port. (on an different SLT card)
If the problem moves to SLT port 3400, I also would switch fax machines.
While the problem is occurring look at the SLT keys programming, see if it’s 300-100.
(If the SLT is locked up, note what line the sub code is associated with)
If you have several faxes answering 1 DNIS number, I recommend using Auto Attendant to routing the calls. You can use hunt group (35, 37, etc) for in bound fax calls. (set the extension in a hunt group). You can also set the SLT ports for Prime line 901, 902, 903 etc. (this is done in extension programming) this will allow the SLT to dial out on a trunk group (1, 2 or 3 etc.). This will by pass LCR and the fax machines will no longer dial 9* or 91 for out bound calls. Instead they can be programmed for 7 or 11 digits only.
You can test this with a SLT port and your Butt set.
I would recommend a DTMF Combo card (6 DTMF receivers and 6 Digital Station ports) in each cabinet that has both T-1 card and a SLT installed.

If your fax machines have a high traffic volume, there could be a call collision issue.
Look at your reports for both inbound and outbound calls.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Avidcomm Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 03/07/06 11:30 AM
OK I may just have it.
How many DTMF receivers are in the system?
You mentioned a large volume of faxes. If no receivers are availabe for providing Dial tone it might cause a problem. Add a DTMF card, or reduce the SL DTMF timeout, or Prime line to a trunk group instead of LCR. :idea:
Posted By: TJMCAPS Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 03/10/06 02:35 PM
I agree with the earlier post that Rick needs to check his disconnects to make sure the fax lines are actually releasing.
Hey Frankiephones, long time no talk to. I guess this is where the old timers go when there is no golf or baseball to be had.
End and Avidcom, those are great answers and sure sound a lot better that that dreaded two syllable word which was being flung about in the earlier posts.
Tj
"Where's an ONEAC when you need one!"
Posted By: JJ Re: SL PORTS TRY AGAIN - 03/13/06 06:27 PM
When port is lockedup.
Have you tried clearing port and rentering?
It sounds like a disconnect problem to me.

I would check your disconnect supervision on the ports.

Good Luck!!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help