atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: rwindom E-class GenII, busy tone when pressing prog - 04/15/09 12:22 PM
Hi, Have a E-class GenII that I need to change the time on. When I press the PROG button I get a fast busy. It will not give me the chance to enter the password. I'm trying this on a 48-key phone. Am I missing something?
I think your modem might be locked up in programming. I'm sure a power-cycle will fix this.
Thanks for the idea, but we have tried rocking the power and it still is giving a busy tone when PROG is pressed from any phone.
There is really something wrong here and there might be even greater problems yet to come. I say that because the press of the PRGM button is the entry point to everything that matters, if you can't get past that the only other option to maintain the system is direct connect with the proper software.

Just for me press these keys in order.

PROGRAM-HOLD-XXX-POUND (XXX is your admin password)

You will still hear the fast busy after pressing PRGM but the remainder might override it.
Sounds to me like a hard drive / flash going, you should get your ESI Reseller and have them have ESI dial in and check it out.

We have had a similar thing happen with an E-class, it turned out to be the hard drive.

Cosmo
Stupid question I know, but are you sure that you actually did cycle the power? You say you rocked the power which leads me to believe you turned off a power bar rather than unplugging the KSU. Are you sure you got the right power bar? If so, the phones should have been completely dead for at least 1 to 2 minutes.
bdunne, Not a stupid question at all. We did a power cycle this afternoon via unplug power and didn't improve anything.

Cosmo, this particular E-Class is a flash card system. I first suspected a hard drive system and was leaning in that direction also.

Next step is ESI Tech Support and the debug process.
It isn't what you know, it is who you know!

For future reference if software is not updated regularly it is possible for the PROGRAM key to loose it's code. ESI TS has a procedure for this and it takes less than 2 minutes.

:thumb: :db:
Or, Maybe? The Voicemail boxes are all Full, Try deleting some messages..just a thought.
Originally posted by nonameyet:
Or, Maybe? The Voicemail boxes are all Full, Try deleting some messages..just a thought.
And a good thought it was since this is very common on the 2 hour & 6 hour S-Class systems but I never have had a VM overload on the E-Class. I think they are somewhere around 140 hours.
You are Correct, John , I was thinking S Class, 2 hour drive.
Originally posted by grider:
if software is not updated regularly it is possible for the PROGRAM key to loose it's code. ESI TS has a procedure for this and it takes less than 2 minutes.
That seems like a broad statement that's not always true. That's kind of like saying that your vehicle will stop running if you take it to someone other than the original auto dealer for regularly scheduled maintenance.

John, has this reprogram procedure been tried yet? Did it correct the problem?

Could Invalid Message Count have caused a "perceived" full drive?

Justin
That seems like a broad statement that's not always true.
There are ESI Resellers that believe in updating software every time a new version comes available and then there are others that update software on an as needed basis. I am a reseller among the latter group. I'm one of the if it ain't broke, don't fix it fans.

Shortly after calling ESI Tech Support and describing the problem scenario the ESI Tech remotely connected to the system and said this:

"They are running 2.3.0 software and that is pretty old for this system."

I then could hear him making a few entries to his keyboard and then he said this:

"There we go, it'll work now."

We then exchanged pleasantries and said goodbye.

John, has this reprogram procedure been tried yet?
Yes, twice as a matter of fact. I called the end user within minutes of the tech support call and talked to Heather at extension 100. I ask her to put me on hold and press the PRGM button and she did. She returned to me with confirmation. I then emailed the OP of this thread with the results and he also called the end user and had the procedure tested.

Did it correct the problem?
Of course it did, never second guess ESI Tech Support!

Could Invalid Message Count have caused a "perceived" full drive?
Maybe, Maybe not? When I call ESI Tech Support I usually described the problem and then follow their lead. This never came up in the conversation so I have no information on this.
Just wanted to give John my thanks for helping with this problem. He was very professional and we couldn't have solved the problem without him. He is a credit to our industry.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help