atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/02/18 03:57 AM
I've used a lot of 66 blocks with a female amphenol connector when installing key systems. I have a project coming up that would be useful to use a 66 split block with 2 connectors. Is there any standard whether these should be male or female for particular uses? Or is it just a matter of what ends are on the cables youre using?

Thanks.
Jim
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/02/18 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Yoda
Is there any standard whether these should be male or female for particular uses? Or is it just a matter of what ends are on the cables youre using?

Thanks.
Jim

Doesn't make sense to have a standard connector and then have to add a gender changer. If you have the Amphenol tool and a reel of 25 pr...knock yourself out.
Save $$$ that way and you can have the exact length you need.
Posted By: Yoda Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/03/18 12:37 AM
I don't have any blocks with two connectors on hand, so I'll be ordering them. Also don't have the Amphenol tool, so I'll order cables that are long enough with one connector to match the block. I'll flip a coin to decide if it's going to be male or female on the block and order accordingly. Thanks.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/03/18 04:50 AM
Those prewired blocks are mighty expensive. Is there a reason why you wouldn't just buy a double-ended cable (gender to match the switch), cut it in half and just punch the ends down on a regular block? It sure would make for a much neater installation too, instead of trying to manage the slack on the pre-made double-ended cables.
Posted By: Yoda Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/03/18 01:58 PM
Sorry, I didn't explain my project and what I wanted to do with the blocks.

Already have double-ended cables coming out of the switch, to existing blocks with two connectors. Then jumper wires out to blocks to phones.

Now we're connecting a new building on the campus and have a new entrance terminal in the equipment room. I thought the double connecterized blocks would be a quick way to make part of that connection. (Agreed on the expensive blocks, Ed.) Punch blunt end of cable into entrance terminal and plug in the amphenol on the other end. I guess it's punch down time versus expense of those blocks at the other end.

Jim
Posted By: DND ON Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/03/18 03:20 PM
I've installed hundreds of those split blocks with female connectors; they are a great time saver. We even had quad blocks: 16 pairs wired, skip a pair then the bottom 8 pairs wired. You could install (2) 16-port station cards and (2) 8-port line cards on one 66 block, with bridging clips.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/04/18 01:21 AM
back when Inter-tel had lots of 8 port cards, we would do 3 cards on one side of a block.
Posted By: Yoda Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/04/18 10:16 PM
Thanks for all of the input, everyone.

Jim
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/05/18 12:04 AM
Bix makes a panel with amphenol ended bix strips. They are more compact than 66 blocks but you need a bix punch down tool to connect jumpers. They are probably alot more expensive than 66 blocks. I havnt used them for a while, they might be hard to find.

https://amazon.com/belden-universal-bix-pac-qcbix1a-connectors/dp/b00wn3p2lo.
Posted By: C5Z Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/07/18 12:22 AM
Jim,
I have 3 split block with female amphenol connectors new in box if you still need them, send me a PM.

Kevin
Posted By: Yoda Re: 66 blocks with amphenol - 01/07/18 12:47 AM
Pm sent.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help