atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda F Connector for RG58 - 11/10/14 02:35 PM
A friend of mine needs to terminate several ends of RG58 with F connectors. What do you suggest for this? I've found a nice solution for my own RG6 uses, but the F connectors I've seen appear to have a soldered tip over the center conductor. He doesn't want the hassle of soldering, and his application requires RG58.

Is there good compression F connector to use? Thanks!

Jim
Posted By: Rcaman Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/10/14 02:40 PM
Not for RG58. You would need to terminate the RG58 to a BNC and then use a BNC to F adapter. Tesco has all this as does many other supply houses.

Rcaman
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/10/14 09:06 PM
Looked at all of my sources and can only find ones like this

https://www.l-com.com/coaxial-f-type-male-crimp-for-rg58-195-series.

If you can install a 3 piece BNC, you can install these.
Posted By: hbiss Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/11/14 06:15 PM
I just wonder what the RG-58 is being connected to that has F connectors. RG-58 is a 50 ohm cable. Any device with an F connector usually expects a 75 ohm cable.

Is this a case where RG-58 was run by somebody who doesn't know any better?

-Hal
Posted By: Rcaman Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/11/14 06:26 PM
Well, I learned something new. I stand corrected. I guess L-com makes a F connector for RG-58. Why would anyone want to do that? I guess it must be somewhat common as this is the first I have seen a F connector for RG-58. The L-Com connector is a solder on stinger.

Rcaman
Posted By: grich Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/11/14 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Rcaman
Why would anyone want to do that?

Exactly.

Must not be concerned about the mismatch. I've done the BNC-to-F adapter thing in an emergency, but I never would have thought anyone would have made a F connector for RG-58. Guessing the inner-conductor of RG-58 is too small for a proper fit in the female connector, hence the soldered stinger.

Many TV stations used to use 50-ohm BNC's made to fit RG-59 in the analog days. Our place was full of AMP connectors of this type.

Posted By: hbiss Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/11/14 11:40 PM
The F connector was designed as a cheap and dirty alternative to other connectors of the time. It was easy to install and aimed at less critical applications like TV antenna and cable TV. While all connectors have a characteristic impedance the slight mismatch can often be overlooked with most applications today. It is the cable itself that will cause the problems.

I stand corrected. I guess L-com makes a F connector for RG-58. Why would anyone want to do that?

The first thing that comes to mind is the ease of installation. When used with an F to BNC (or other like UHF) adapter all should be fine. RG-58 was widely used in the days before ethernet to wire networks. With those T connectors I can't believe the impedance of the cable connector matters much. Many techs shy away from the BNC because of the need for special tools and difficulty of installation.

But my question again is what is the application? If someone got a deal on RG-58 and they are using it to wire a house for cable...

-Hal

Posted By: Rcaman Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/12/14 02:52 PM
Hal is correct. The F connector is NOT designed for anything else except RG-6 or 59 cable. I did a lot of work for the TV broadcast stations here is Pittsburgh. I had many instances of RG-58 being used for the multitude of 50 ohm video equipment connections, hence the reference to the BNC to F connector adapters that were used to connect the odd video piece that had a F connector.

In all older network cabling, the BNC was the ONLY connector used for RG-58.

Rcaman
Posted By: Silversam Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/12/14 05:52 PM
I've been trying to remember what I used RG-58 for and my poor brain is giving me trouble. Could it have been for Wang computers? I remember soldering on BNC and TNC connectors for those.

RG-62 was for IBM terminals. RG-8 was for Microwave. RG-11 was Video feeders. RG-6 was HD video. RG-59 was older TV, CCTV, and DS-3 connections (with BNC).

I know I installed 58, but for the life of me I can't remember what for.

Very sad.

Sam
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/12/14 06:15 PM
RG-58A/U and RG-58C/U were used for thinnet.
Posted By: Yoda Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/12/14 08:10 PM
I have more info from my friend and from his supplier. It seems that they need the 50 ohm impedance, so RG58 cable is what they want to use. The connected device is a uhf receiver with a relay to operate. They are going to use RG58 and a crimp on PL 259 plug.

Jim
Posted By: Silversam Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/12/14 08:59 PM
Aha! That's right Jeff! Good call!

Thinnet, replacing Goldenrod ethernet.

Now what the hell kind of coax did the Wang system run on?

Sam
Posted By: mbhydro Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/13/14 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Silversam

Sam

According to Black Box it was RG59.
Posted By: hbiss Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/13/14 12:54 AM
I know I installed 58, but for the life of me I can't remember what for.
Breaker one-nine good buddy! grin

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/13/14 12:58 PM
I did a quick search, it looks like the cards used dual coax.
Way before my time smile
Posted By: Silversam Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/13/14 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by mbhydro
Originally Posted by Silversam

Sam

According to Black Box it was RG59.
Thanks!

Sam
Posted By: mbhydro Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/13/14 08:46 PM
Had to love the computer operations area back in the 80's at the Govt Auto Insurance company.

Twisted pair for standalone modems, coax for all the 3270 monitors , Twinax for the IBM s/36 word processors and twisted pair running balans when the ILEC sold management on trying it out.
Posted By: jknichols Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/14/14 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Yoda
I have more info from my friend and from his supplier. It seems that they need the 50 ohm impedance, so RG58 cable is what they want to use. The connected device is a uhf receiver with a relay to operate. They are going to use RG58 and a crimp on PL 259 plug.

Jim

Wow, haven't touched a PL259 in ages! - I'm betting that someone asked for a "threaded connector" and that got mis-translated to "F connector", although, given UHF radio I think I would have thought TNC or SMC.
Posted By: hbiss Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/14/14 06:57 PM
The PL259 is called a UHF connector. Most older gear pretty much only used it until years later when the BNC and other connectors became popular.

-Hal
Posted By: Rcaman Re: F Connector for RG58 - 11/14/14 09:47 PM
The PL259 is actually a Mil Spec connector which was designed to be used on RG-8U Coax which was the gold standard RF plug connector for years and it's socket mate the SO239 just prior to WWII and for decades after. Used primarily, at first, for radar connections, it was soon found on every piece of military communications equipment.

This is a "non wimpy" solder type connector. Back then, no self respecting tech "crimped" anything.

Now, the connector must be specified with the type of coax it is to be used. The PL259 has become a generic term and when needed, the tech needs to be specific as to what coax the connector will affixed to.

Rcaman
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help