atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TeletypeJoe AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 02:15 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial or instructions on using the AMP M1 butterfly tool? Just scored one on e-pay, but it does not have the paperwork to go with it. It does however, have the combs and color guides.

Thank you in advance,

Joe
Posted By: Silversam Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 04:06 AM
Here you go:

https://tooling.tycoelectronics.com/pdf/7559.pdf

A word of advice - pay attention to the "F" & "M" labels on the combs. Depending on whether you're making a male or a female amp the wiring is opposite. That was probably the most common mistake when we did a lot of these.

Sam
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 04:30 AM
Thanks sam!

I just printed this off and will be studying it.

Now the question is where is a good source for the connectors?

Best,

Joe
Posted By: JPGolan Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 05:05 AM
Graybar, CSC or Anixter

Sold are sold in individual pieces and others are sold as a kit (Base, hood & screw)
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 05:46 AM
Let me see....just off the top of my head 22912 and 22913. I don't remember which is which, but those are the part numbers for the standard Male and Female AMPS.

Now I do. Holy crap! These people are in love with them https://cableorganizer.com/outlet/NQP-DST-1001.html?section=4&catname=%0AComputer+%5D+D-Sub+Connectors+%2F+Adapters+%2F+Switches

Carl
Posted By: skip555 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 06:14 AM
Holy crap! These people are in love with them
5 for 22 = 4.40 each that seems about right to me

Graybar, CSC or Anixter
unless you have a account they are wholesale suppliers not looking to sell small quantitys to end users

the local Graybar has a 50 mn for COD
Posted By: Derrick Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 06:19 AM
I have not used one of those in twenty years...before that I was sick of terminating amp connectors for cable runs and pigtales.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 07:24 AM
Skip's probably right. It's been 10-12 years since I paid $3 apiece in 25 piece lots. Inflation being the nasty animal it is.... frown
Posted By: gelehu Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 07:32 AM
I remember the good old days when they sent out pre-connectorized cables.If you had a stub up the wall and a 200' pull you got to stand on the ladder and pull it all up the stub.I considered it a character building experience.
Posted By: Kumba Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 12:16 PM
And now we complain about cat6 termination smile

I got a 3M tool somewhere as well. Think I used it a grand total of 3 times. It falls under the "Been there, done that" list.

Found an auction with one just incase you were curious: https://compare.ebay.com/like/30051... mid=300517407720&ff4=263602_309572

Mine has the AMP dies, and I think something else. Ed was telling me many moons ago that the other dies it has are 400's or something I think. Some kind of termination you would do at pedestals or something. I obviously never used it much smile
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 12:43 PM
I hope I never have to use a butterfly tool again! puke And I don't miss running 25pr or 50pr just for one phone either!
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 01:02 PM
Well, since I am installing a 1A2 system in my home and future building, I really kinda needed one...

All part of the "Roosterville Phone Company" experience! (sorta like the phone system in the old TV sitcom, Green Acres. I am the 'el Presidente'!)

Joe
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 02:41 PM
I've never had the experience of putting an Amphenol connector on...guess I'm not missing much.
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 02:44 PM
We used to have to solder all amphenols back in the 60s. Strip and tin everything.
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 02:53 PM
We also used these before we could self install amphenols. Mybe Ed still stocks them?

https://www.sundance-communications.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/21/t/000993.html
Posted By: Derrick Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 03:54 PM
Here's another one.

https://cgi.ebay.com/AMP-MI-1-Porta..._Equipment_Tools&hash=item2c5abdfda4

There have been times that I could have used one of these tools, just to save a bunch of slack and/or connection points stuffed in the overhead.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 05:13 PM
I've used those small blocks from Ed in my 1A2 system at home...I like them a lot. I too wonder if he has any more?
Posted By: skip555 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Professor Shadow:
I hope I never have to use a butterfly tool again! puke And I don't miss running 25pr or 50pr just for one phone either!
Amen to that , brother . I dont miss lugging around full spools of 25 pair either , a box of 4 pair is much more better

I sold both of my amp tools back when they where still bringing decent money
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 07:27 PM
Originally posted by skip555:

What was your other AMP tool?

Joe
Posted By: skip555 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/12/11 09:28 PM
I had two of the butterfly tools . In 1A2 days I sold one then a few years later I sold the second one
Posted By: EV607797 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/13/11 10:48 AM
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
I've used those small blocks from Ed in my 1A2 system at home...I like them a lot. I too wonder if he has any more?
Jeff, if you're speaking of the 66E3 blocks, the answer would be not just yes, but about 350 yes.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/13/11 10:53 AM
PM sent, Ed.
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/13/11 12:00 PM
Originally posted by TeletypeJoe:
Originally posted by skip555:

What was your other AMP tool?

Joe
We only had a butterfly tool to use on big jobs.
Smaller jobs were done with this tool for Amphenols

https://www.sundance-communications.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/24/t/000803/p/1.html

Just punchdown handle and a different blade and a plate to hold the Amphenol
Posted By: MnDave Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/13/11 04:24 PM
I've never been able to part with the small palm grip Amp version because old connectors are easy to reuse from old installs. I have a small stash "just in case" but they are just gathering dust. The link to Skip's old post shows that tool but it is the teeny tiny small item in the lower left corner of the smaller pic. Actually, it was larger enough to sit in your palm and had a cutting blade in it. The larger picture shows the tool for just pushing in a single loose connector. Watching a tech use that single insertion tool for a whole connector once was insane.

The 3M tool was the fastest field terminating tool but the one on Ebay isn't going to sell at that price. When I used these tools regularly, the 3M/Amp Butterfly/Amp Palm generally took me 6/12/30 minutes respectively.
Posted By: skip555 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/13/11 04:38 PM
Ive still got the hand tool pictured in the old thread , I just dumped the two butterfly tools when it become obvious we weren't getting 1A2 MACS anymore.

I have a dozen or so new connectors kicking around
Posted By: Kumba Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/13/11 10:15 PM
LOL, the first time I used the 3M tool it took me 30 minutes. But most of that was figuring out how to lay the dies in, and position the cable, and how it worked. The third cable I made with it I was down to around 10 minutes or so. What took me so long was stringing the wires through the comb and making sure the cable was right side up so it fanned out correctly (or at least easier to run through the comb).

I like how the base of the 3M one had two screw cut-outs in it. I was able to put two drywall screws in the wall and hang it wherever I wanted. Also had the rubber feet on the bottom so you could use it on a desk without scratching it.

I should try to go find that thing and sell it.
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/16/11 10:22 PM
My AMP tool arrived today. Damn, now I know why they cost new over a grand. The thing is monsterous. Tomorrow I will attempt to figure it out with the TYCO instructions.

Joe
Posted By: MnDave Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/17/11 11:02 AM
Joe, Now you can start salvaging the old Amp champ connectors from old cables & such. Since they are reuseable and the 3M were not, you have the more practical tool.
Posted By: KLD Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/17/11 02:01 PM
A grand???? I just dug mine out of storage....Seems I paid about 7 hundred thirty years ago...... :shrug:
Posted By: skip555 Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/17/11 02:48 PM
I never salvaged and re-used connectors with the labor time involved I just used new ones rather than chancing a bad connection

yea , ken I remeber them in the 700 range too .
Posted By: MnDave Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/17/11 03:59 PM
Skip, You're absolutely right. aok I never reused them when they were stocked everywhere. But later, I started keeping a few ends and stripped them when I was bored. There were a few times that having one saved my buns. I did have to be careful though, one bent pin would wreck it. But I have also been known to re-use 66 blocks if they still look new. I guess when the $ started coming out of my own pocket I started reusing a few of any of these items if they were still in like-new condition.
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/18/11 03:36 AM
Originally posted by KLD:
A grand???? I just dug mine out of storage....Seems I paid about 7 hundred thirty years ago...... :shrug:
Sorry guys, I was referring to todays price. Several websites and my telecom supply house charge over $1000. I do have to say, the thing is substantial. The case will not fit in my tool bag!

Joe
Posted By: metelcom Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/18/11 03:53 AM
test
Posted By: brokeda Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/24/11 12:20 AM
Weekends spent making Amps. I used to dream the color code.
86 - 92 had a vanity plate, WRBYV-1.

:toast: :toast:
Posted By: John Osvatic Re: AMP M1 butterfly crimper - 02/24/11 11:26 AM
We used to crimp our own Amps and would kill for a crimp machine. We used Western Electric supplied parts and since they were uniform we did not have a great deal of difficulty.
After divestiture we started getting cable supplied by outside the USA and it got difficult because the color of the pairs were hard to distinguish in dull light (they were fluorescent colored) and the diameter of the insulation got bigger. We gave up because we were getting too many bad crimps and ended up ordering pre Amped cables in whatever configuration M/F, M/M, F/F and lengths needed.
Good Luck in using yours Joe!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help