atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Noisycow TekGun Cable Labeler - 10/03/10 07:24 PM
Anyone use one of these? How do you like it?

Posted By: Noisycow Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 10/03/10 07:51 PM
This is their website - https://www.tekgun.com/servlet/the-TekGun-Products/Categories

Their ceiling penetrator system looks very innovative also.
Posted By: Noisycow Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 10/03/10 11:07 PM
Wow - I don't work for this company - promise! They have a very nice J-hook also. I like that it can mount to the ceiling, to a rod, or to a ceiling grid wire all in one piece.

Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 10/04/10 04:37 AM
Never used one, put it looks impressive!
Posted By: tito1411 Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 10/04/10 06:05 AM
Looks interesting. We may have to get one to play with and see how it does.
Posted By: skip555 Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 10/04/10 06:41 AM
it does look interesting , just a take off the old price marker only its printing on cable rather than price stickers
Posted By: Noisycow Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 10/04/10 10:33 AM
I'll get one before our next cable job.

Darn customers and their demand that the jacks aren't labeled 1,47,22,6,11 ....

It is such a pain to find where the cable number is at; with this thing I'd just tag the number every two feet toward both ends of the cable.
Posted By: Noisycow Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 10/19/10 03:30 PM
I bought two of them and they are great. Sure helped out on my last cable job. Their J-hooks are also the best I've seen in terms of functionality and flexibility.
Posted By: badcable Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/07/10 04:08 PM
I pull many cables at my job and for the most part we either print out panduit labels which takes time and costs a bunch for the labels, handwrite or use booklet lables.

We've got one of these on order and I'll definitely provide a review once it arrives. The only con I see from the get-go is they use proprietary ink cartridges at $11.50 each, I'm not sure how long they'll last.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/07/10 04:26 PM
Just got one in on Friday. Seems like it will work well.
Posted By: badcable Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/07/10 04:46 PM
Have you had a chance to use it yet?
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/09/10 04:59 AM
Just to play with it. Seems fine.
Posted By: badcable Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/10/10 03:57 PM
Got mine in today. Played with it for awhile with the white ink and am a little less than pleased. With less that 100 marks done, the unit does'nt seem to make clean marks.

Maybe its me, or the cable jacket, or possibly this thing needs to be worked in a little more. It's got potential if I can get it to make clean marks.
Posted By: badcable Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/24/10 08:50 PM
And after further use, I believe this is a waste of money. Ink will rub off even after setting for 3+ days, marks after continued use do not improve. Most marks made are illegible.

They did send a free J hook along, but I never use them. The construction on those is pretty nice.

IMO, faster,cheaper,easier to sharpie.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/25/10 07:06 AM
Originally posted by badcable:
And after further use, I believe this is a waste of money. Ink will rub off even after setting for 3+ days, marks after continued use do not improve. Most marks made are illegible.

IMO, faster,cheaper,easier to sharpie.
So if a company advertises that is complies with TIA/EIA standards then this device (and a sharpie) does not comply with TIA/EIA-606A.10.1 & 10.2.
Posted By: badcable Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/27/10 04:18 PM
I wasn't bringing up compliance, I was just giving a plain old review.

It's faster than making labels with EasyMark (Panduit) and easier to do than ripping the booklet numbers.

The key might be to make 20 or so marks along the cable, more than one will be 100% legible, but not all.

Any other owners have input?
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/28/10 07:50 AM
Any review is better than no review. Thank you.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/28/10 08:52 AM
They must have paid $10,000 for that 3 minute promo, but they still misspelled the word "extremely" at 02:19.

My opinion, as usual, is "FAIL" if you can't even proof-read your own material.
Posted By: skip555 Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/28/10 09:08 AM
I would be interested in hearing what others who have used it think of the product
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/28/10 11:04 AM
I have some Cat5e made by Windy City Wire that has markings on the jacket and you can just circle the number of the cable...I think Honeywell does that also.
Posted By: podnuh Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/28/10 06:12 PM
perhaps the ink would dry faster if used on PVC? Maybe the ink wouldn't dry fast on plenum jacketed wire
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/28/10 07:11 PM
I think it would take less time, and be a method less susceptible to scraping, to use the number tags in the little book. And why would you need to have the number stamped in multiples on a single cable? Once it's terminated, the info is useless, anyway. It's not like all the wires will suddenly over the weekend decide to unhitch themselves from the jacks, and hide in the ceiling.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/28/10 07:18 PM
That's not 100% true Arthur. Had a client's CG who decided he wanted to change the patch panel to 110 from BIX so he pull all the wires off. Then he realized that he didn't have a 110 punch tool, so he called me to borrow my BIX tool. Just about busted a gut laughing.

Had to go to client's to re-terminate the cables. Would have been nice if the numbers were on the cables. Now I have no idea where they go, nor care for that matter.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/29/10 07:29 AM
Geeze MooreTel, that's not an exception, that's a "I fell down and won the lottery".

I would have toned each drop just to "enhance" the revenue. It started out with ID's, so why not keep them there? Don't feel bad for the customer, he's the one who beleved the CG could do the job and not call you.

Carl
Posted By: skip555 Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/29/10 07:42 AM
I agree with Carl, but from the perspective that at some point the CG is going to complain that none of the cables " match the jack numbers " at that point you will look incompetent. I would have punched them then down toned and renumbered the jacks not trying to pad the bill but give the customer a solid network

Ive yet to find stick on numbers that stick well with the humidity here they often peel and fall off so I'm usually left with a few cables to guess at

the gun is a good concept , if it works .
Posted By: MooreTel Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/29/10 11:06 AM
The thing is boys & girl, this was done on a weekend, when a lot of the offices were locked; therefore I didn't have access.

I happened to see the owner later that night & explained it to him. He knows who screwed up & he thanked me for getting the PCs running again before Monday.

P.S.: I didn't wire most of the cables as they were in place before I took over the client. Mine were numbered on the cable, so those were terminated according to their number.
Posted By: cybershoe Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 11/30/10 07:00 AM
Originally posted by skip555:
... Ive yet to find stick on numbers that stick well with the humidity here they often peel and fall off so I'm usually left with a few cables to guess at ...
I've had good luck with 3M's ScotchCode marker books. They're a bit pricey, but they will stick to pretty much anything. Also, the adhesive stays gummy, so they can be removed/repositioned a couple of times if need be.
Posted By: CTS Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 12/02/10 01:21 PM
Hi guys, just found this thread and wanted to make a comment on the ink concerns for the Tekgun. We have been having some issues with the white ink cartridges. Seems over a period of time the ink is either drying in the vacuum pack or the ink is pooling to one side of the cartridge, making it seem like it's dried up. Our black ink works very well and should be permanent within 15-20 seconds. We're looking for a new white or silver ink replacement. BadCable I would be more than happy to replace your white ink cartridge(s) with black. The Tekgun is designed as a rough in tool, most tech's make 2-4 impressions on each cable end to assure a good identification.

Also, our cable hangers are made here in the USA and are UL Plenum rated. We're a new manufacturing company and want to work out any issues. We plan on being around a long time and making products to hopefully make the installers job easier and quicker! Thanks guys...and sorry for the white ink issues. Dale
Posted By: skip555 Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 12/02/10 01:34 PM
welcome Dale

thanks for info it makes me little more confident buying from a manufacturer that listens and cares
Posted By: Derrick Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 12/02/10 02:01 PM
Cts, I am interested in using your gun instead of the Panduit vinyl write on labels that I use now. That would be on the destination end. On the frame end I use T&B flag tie wraps. I have to write the number on the flag but I like the ties, because I can move them up the wire close to a 66 block or the patch panel.
Posted By: badcable Re: TekGun Cable Labeler - 12/03/10 03:27 PM
CTS:

Hi, and welcome. I will test out the black ink once I'm back at it Wednesday and repost.

I understand about making the multiple marks, and it being a rough in tool, I think I may just have some bad white ink, aside from that it's pretty quick and useful. I prefer it to scotchcode markers, and putting panduit labels on.

Thanks for chiming in, I'll be sure to update my review with some black ink!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help