atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: PMCook 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 02:34 AM
Is there such a thing as a 50 pair telco connector that does not require an expensive crimp tool? I hate to buy a tool I will never use again.
Posted By: PMCook Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 04:23 AM
Make that 25 pair. Oops.
Posted By: skip555 Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 07:34 AM
I hate to buy a tool I will never use again.
if its just for one project sandman used to rent them you might give him a call or look at other rental company's
Posted By: Silversam Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 07:46 AM
Amp used to make a hand tool that inserted the wires one at a time into the connector/plug. If it's still being made it's got to be much cheaper then the full 'butterfly' tool.

Skip is right, I'm sure you can rent one somewhere, but what is the application? Maybe there's an alternative.

Sam
Posted By: skip555 Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 08:30 AM
Ive got one of the hand tools and It is really miserable doing the full 25 pair

I carry it for things like the MICS where you may only need a couple of pair on the connector for paging and MOH
Posted By: KLD Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 09:12 AM
AMP made a "T" handle tool just for that....check their website.
Posted By: Silversam Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 04:21 PM
Originally posted by skip555:
Ive got one of the hand tools and It is really miserable doing the full 25 pair

I carry it for things like the MICS where you may only need a couple of pair on the connector for paging and MOH
AMP made a "T" handle tool just for that....check their website.

--------------------
Ken
---------
That's what I was talking about and that's why I asked what the application was.

Sam
Posted By: skip555 Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 05:00 PM
this is what I have [Linked Image from ampnetconnect.com]

it sounds like your talking about this
[Linked Image from specialized.net]
Posted By: Silversam Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 07:27 PM
I've used them both. The T handle as I recall was just to reinstall conductors that came loose. the other tool was an actual installation tool, just really slow and painful to use.

But again - how many conductors have to be terminated here? Why can't you use a pre-termed cable? Why? What? How? Who? Where?

Sam
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/25/10 08:56 PM
I would be willing to rent you one of mine if you are interested. I also have the rubber boots to split the cable into two 25 pair connectors and the connectors themselves. Just send me a PM if this would be of interest to you.
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/28/10 02:28 PM
[Linked Image from i228.photobucket.com]

All you need is one of these. You could buy a bit for your punch down tool and make something to hold the plug. Maybe you can still buy the holder. I have used this hundreds of times when a butterfly tool wasnt available. The earlier plugs had to have each wire soldered. In the early 60 s.
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/28/10 02:37 PM
I think there were two kinds of plugs. The kind I have in the pic and another where the wire went into a V shape. Maybe AMP
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/29/10 10:22 AM
I never knew such an animal existed. I learn something every day!
Posted By: ShawnC Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/29/10 02:49 PM
My best day was I made up 150 females on a huge
Contract job !!That was a 12 hr day Btw!

Pm If this is for a a few runs and its not a cosmetic issue you can get back wire wrapped
spit 66 blocks and even 110 for that matter
that terminate to either a male or female Amp...
Posted By: MnDave Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/29/10 03:08 PM
My best day was I made up 150 females on a huge
Contract job !!That was a 12 hr day Btw!
Wow! And here I thought I was doing good when I used to average 6 minutes per plug on a large job!

PMCook - If you or anyone else can find the 3M plugs and connectors, I have a 3M tool that you can have cheap. And I mean really cheap!!!
Posted By: ShawnC Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/29/10 03:20 PM
Hey There Dave! Are you referring to a butterfly tool similar to a what amp makes for champ plugs and connectors?
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/29/10 10:08 PM
Wow. 6 minutes? Fortunately, I didn't have to do that kind of production, even when I worked COEI. 4 per hour was the standard and I certainly wouldn't want to beat that, although you could push 6 if you needed to float for awhile.

I still own 2 AMP butterfly tools without the plastic deal that cinches them together, a 3m tool, and a hand AMP tool. I guess Cherie is gonna have to sell them at my estate sale for pennies on the dollar...if she outlives me LOL

Carl
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/30/10 07:10 AM
Dave, I recall a thread about amphenol connectors 2-3 years ago. Graybar(?) still can get them. And DIGI-KEY has them under AMP-Champ made by TYCO. (The outfit that has made almost ANYTHING, including model trains! smile )
Posted By: ShawnC Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/30/10 10:44 AM
superiors riser cable was great you ring cut and the pairs came right out !!
Posted By: MnDave Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 07/30/10 11:22 AM
kxtvet - The 3M tool used its own proprietary connectors but was faster than the AMP butterfly tool. The AMP tool always took me at least 12 minutes each on an average.

Carl Navarro - Back in the 80s, I was installing so many 25 pair systems that I needed to know my average speed in order to plan my day. I guess I must have been faster than some of the other guys 'cause I was occasionally sent to do plugs on many of the other guys jobs. I always, always, double checked my cable order and so rarely had a bad one. Thanks for letting me toot my horn over my success during the buggy whip days. smile

Lightninghorse - Tyco just bought ADC Telecommunications here and the city is expecting to lose at least 900 local jobs. ADC had built a huge complex during Y2K but suffered the big box syndrom (build a bigger box when times are good but have the bottom collapse immediately afterword).
Posted By: ALPHATECH Re: 50 pair Telco connectors - 09/10/10 06:28 PM
I don't do a lot of 50 pairs, but when I do I get them cut to length and pre-terminated. Just make sure my conduits/raceways are wide enough to pull them through.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help