atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MooreTel Photo needed - 11/12/09 04:17 PM
I'm in the process of sending my recommendations to a client to do a major clean up of their data rack and cabling screwups and I'd like to submit a photo of a properly installed and laid out rack.

The rack I have has a cable management vertical tray on one side but none on the front. Therefore if I had a photo similar to that with cables installed I could show them what it SHOULD look like.

If you have one, please post it or forward to me via PM or email.

Thanks in advance... smile
Posted By: MarcHaycook Re: Photo needed - 11/12/09 05:35 PM
[Linked Image from media.columbiatribune.com]

Posted By: hbiss Re: Photo needed - 11/12/09 05:38 PM
Certainly is purdy!

-Hal
Posted By: p2ii Re: Photo needed - 11/12/09 05:41 PM
[Linked Image from farm3.static.flickr.com]

here's one
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Photo needed - 11/12/09 06:34 PM
Thanks P2ii, that's what I was looking for...multiple patch cords without wire management... aok
Posted By: Charles U Sparkie Re: Photo needed - 11/12/09 08:32 PM
Originally posted by MooreTel:
Thanks P2ii, that's what I was looking for...multiple patch cords without wire management... aok
There are 2 kinds of horizontal management in that picture.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Photo needed - 11/12/09 09:11 PM
I started with this...
[Linked Image from farm4.static.flickr.com]

and this...

about 1/3 of the way through the night...

and was almost finished, when I took this picture...
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Photo needed - 11/13/09 03:53 AM
Tony, that's some fine work there!

How long did it take you from start to finish not including the purples?
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Photo needed - 11/13/09 04:11 AM
Tony, that 1st photo is about the same situation that I'm dealing with. On top of that:

a) Jacks are not identified in any manner, nor is there any list in the server room

b) Original install was by Bell & properly terminated on patch panels. After that some cable jockey terminated with plugs and are plugged straight into one of the switches

c) These same cables have an orange tape labeling with some code that doesn't make any sense.

d) switches & patch panels have been found outside of the server room, but how many more are hidden????

Get the picture?
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Photo needed - 11/13/09 04:46 AM
@ampleworks - This was a Friday in early April of this year. Start to finish Ray (my employer) and I started at 5:30, worked until mid-night/1am-ish. Then we went back to test, follow up the next morning for an hour or two. So about 9 crew hours labor, 18 man. The purples are 25 pair feeders (Cat5 (not "e", either) to the 1st and 2nd floors.

@MooreTel - These were sparingly identified in no logical manner... a mix between sharpie, label maker and string tags. We re-labeled what we could and threw the unknowns in a group on the lowest panel. I get the picture perfectly and wish you the best of luck! At the same time, I suggest starting with a plan, it really helps to have an overall approach to it before you're knee deep in it.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Photo needed - 11/13/09 05:49 AM
Originally posted by MacOSX:
At the same time, I suggest starting with a plan, it really helps to have an overall approach to it before you're knee deep in it.
Tony -

An excellent idea. Whenever we had to work in a working CO we were required to fill out a MOP - a Method of Procedure - detailing exactly what we were going to do and how we were going to do it.

At first I objected to writing MOPs. They were a royal PITA. And then I found that writing out what I was going to do made for a much, much better job. It sharpened my focus and I found out I picked up problems before they happened. If I wrote out what I was going to do, step, by step then I found I would always have the right material with me, always have enough (of the right) manpower and the job (almost) always went well. Very well.

Have a plan. Write it up. Follow it.

Sam
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Photo needed - 11/13/09 07:22 AM

Write him up for no safety glasses.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Photo needed - 11/13/09 11:36 AM
I found this post much more satisfying than the pictures of ugly work because we all know how not to do it.

Tony, How about a follow up in a year or so after some IT guys have taken it over?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Photo needed - 11/13/09 12:10 PM
Tony, I remember when you first posted pics of that job. I too would like to see what it looks like now smile
Posted By: brokeda Re: Photo needed - 11/13/09 04:42 PM
Awesome setup!!!!

:db: :db:
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help